Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wise Buy? High hour MF Dyna VT

en-tee

Wise Buy? High hour MF Dyna VT

Currently got the hots for a 7480 with high hours. It's cheap enough but I've heard horror storys about the fendt vario transmission and five figure bills when they go wallop.

Should I be worried, or even consider such a tractor.

Or should I invest a bit more and get something newer?

I know nowt about running these tractors so testamonials would be appreciated.

Ta

Cowabunga

Re: Wise Buy? High hour MF Dyna VT

They have the potential to run for very high hours. Indeed indefinitely like Trigger's broom. But it depends on good maintenance, good driver, sensible work and luck.

Service exchange transmissions are available at sensible prices compared to some. The job of changing it isn't too bad either. But there is far more to it than just a transmission and all the usual wear and tear items still apply.
    Considering that a new equivalent today probably costs around 70,000+ then a high hour one in the mid 20's would possibly be a sensible buy even if you budgetted about 15k over three years as an insurance type contingency for repairs that might never be needed.

Spud

How old 7480? I have a 2006 tier 2 model with 7700hrs, here from new, worked bloody hard really, though same driver for most of it. Repairs to date pretty minor, tell you more later, off out now.

Ad

Has it been dealer serviced and has it service history? How many hours?

The reason i ask about dealer history as the rear brakes are adjustable and often overlooked this can burn out the cardan brake at high hours taking the vario with it (or at least it does with the Fendt)

en-tee

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by en-tee View Post
    Tyres are goosed, big consideration these days?

Manney

Looks tidy and well priced. Maybe contact the previous owner about the history. Should be able to get their details from the v5 if you can get a look at it.

ARCHIES LAD

http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/details.php?id=2400
    http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/details.php?id=2365
    Bit more expensive but both look good! new shape t3 engines = more power!

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHIES LAD View Post
    http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/details.php?id=2400
    http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/details.php?id=2365
    Bit more expensive but both look good! new shape t3 engines = more power!
    Nearly double the price. Still only half the price of a new whatchumycallit model though. Would the new one be a 7615?

ARCHIES LAD

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Nearly double the price. Still only half the price of a new whatchumycallit model though. Would the new one be a 7615?
    7616 DNYA VT

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHIES LAD View Post
    7616 DNYA VT
    Would you buy one over the dyna6 version considering the extra expense and no power-boost? I personally think they missed a trick by not effectively rating these permanently at the higher boosted [equivalent D6] power rating rather than the lower power. But what do I know? I'm only a potential customer.

en-tee

I am but a poor, simple lad looking for something better in the field than my fastrac. Money is a big factor at the mo as I want things to pay for themselves.

http://www.pvdobson.com/includes/veh...s_farm&id=2748

I went to see this a few months ago when they were asking 30K for it. Salesman was talking silly money to swap so I walked away.

I just can't get over why 10,000+hr fendts are commanding such big money - there MUST be confidence in these transmissions.

Cowabunga

I am but a poor, simple lad looking for something better in the field than my fastrac. Money is a big factor at the mo as I want things to pay for themselves.

http://www.pvdobson.com/includes/veh...s_farm&id=2748

I went to see this a few months ago when they were asking 30K for it. Salesman was talking silly money to swap so I walked away.

I just can't get over why 10,000+hr fendts are commanding such big money - there MUST be confidence in these transmissions.
    They use the same transmission exactly. Same hydraulics and back axle as well. Different sotware and cab and front axle, that's all.
    I love my 7490 and it has been no trouble apart from the radiator fan couling. It has only just crossed 3500 hours but works very hard when it does.

Mine has a bigger transmission compared to the 7480 but actually the 7480 won't be far behind in performance. One problem I forgot about on mine is that EP90 from the rear final drives leaks through the diff oil seal into the transmission. I just keep an eye on the levels and change the transmission oil more often than specified in the book. Some fine day it might be fitted with the available modified seals.

HAM135

I bought a 7495 of them in August 6800hrs,had a new vario fitted in march so transmission under warranty until march2013,great tractor,first vario we have had and very impressed so far,tractor is very tidy,50k,front lift,air brakes bought for low 20k's just used as a spare horse and will only do a couple of hundred hrs each yr.No regrets so far.

Profi Farmer

Jim B

I don't know much about them, but know someone who has a 7480 Dyna VT and he said the engine/transmission braking is poor on them?

Kipper

Had a 2007 T3 7480 for 4500 hour, only had one injector fitted.
    Also a 2007 T3 7485 had that second hand, had a few jobs done to it, nothing that stopped it, that went at 5200 hours.
    Now have a 2012 7485 with 700 hours on it, only thing wrong is that the dealer can not get the hand brake to work right.
    Found the 7480 low on power for road work, good in the field.
    Found the 7485 good on the road, very good in the field, but a bit big on the headlands.
    Found when selling the tractors i could not get the money for them that could be had for the same JD. The JDs were the same money to buy but worth a lot more when it comes to sell them.

Dod

Quote Originally Posted by Profi Farmer View Post
    The depreciation on CNH tractors seems to be really high right now

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    The depreciation on CNH tractors seems to be really high right now
    good

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Had a 2007 T3 7480 for 4500 hour, only had one injector fitted.
    Also a 2007 T3 7485 had that second hand, had a few jobs done to it, nothing that stopped it, that went at 5200 hours.
    Now have a 2012 7485 with 700 hours on it, only thing wrong is that the dealer can not get the hand brake to work right.
    Found the 7480 low on power for road work, good in the field.
    Found the 7485 good on the road, very good in the field, but a bit big on the headlands.
    Found when selling the tractors i could not get the money for them that could be had for the same JD. The JDs were the same money to buy but worth a lot more when it comes to sell them.
    That's strange! http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/details.php?id=2400

http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/details.php?id=2276

This auto power 6930 seems very similar money to equivalent 7480.

Manney

Quote Originally Posted by Profi Farmer View Post
    I know where that tractor came from. It was traded for a Fendt 415 as the owner wanted a smaller tractor due to a reduced workload.

Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
    I don't know much about them, but know someone who has a 7480 Dyna VT and he said the engine/transmission braking is poor on them?
    I was told this too hence my previous post about the brakes it's to do with the MF software on the fendt transmission, a local contractor has had major problems nothing wrong with the tractor probably a combination of poor trailer brakes and the nut behind the steering wheel.

The Pretender

On the most savage setting, the Dynamic brake will just about lock the back wheels just by taking your foot off the gas.

Chae

Are you sure he didn't mean dyna 6? Engine braking non existent on my t3 6480 it's shocking.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Are you sure he didn't mean dyna 6? Engine braking non existent on my t3 6480 it's shocking.
    true just need to lift off that bit sonner

dan9044

Currently got the hots for a 7480 with high hours. It's cheap enough but I've heard horror storys about the fendt vario transmission and five figure bills when they go wallop.

Should I be worried, or even consider such a tractor.

Or should I invest a bit more and get something newer?

I know nowt about running these tractors so testamonials would be appreciated.

Ta
    Offer 2K less for help towards tyres that you pobably wont replace for a bit then get her bought, keep the oils right she should go a long time yet, we never sell MFs with much less than 12000 hours all be it we have never run one of these, but would think she'd be right

Topkogg

They use the same transmission exactly. Same hydraulics and back axle as well. Different sotware and cab and front axle, that's all.
    I love my 7490 and it has been no trouble apart from the radiator fan couling. It has only just crossed 3500 hours but works very hard when it does.

Mine has a bigger transmission compared to the 7480 but actually the 7480 won't be far behind in performance. One problem I forgot about on mine is that EP90 from the rear final drives leaks through the diff oil seal into the transmission. I just keep an eye on the levels and change the transmission oil more often than specified in the book. Some fine day it might be fitted with the available modified seals.

i couldnt falt my old 7495 and it was worked hard most days and is still running about not to far from me

Rafterman

Depends how you have it set. Too harsh and it will throw you up the window with the engine braking.

For the record 07 7485, 5000 hrs. Couple of minor faults but wouldn't swap it for anything.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    On the most savage setting, the Dynamic brake will just about lock the back wheels just by taking your foot off the gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
    Depends how you have it set. Too harsh and it will throw you up the window with the engine braking.

For the record 07 7485, 5000 hrs. Couple of minor faults but wouldn't swap it for anything.
    The engine braking depends only on the transmission ratio and the type of engine fitted and its characteristics. In pedal mode the rate of transmission deceleration can be adjusted but too slow and you will feel that it doesn't slow down fast enough and too sharp and it will tend to over-rev the engine as it accelerates over compression faster than the transmission slows. I don't like or use pedal mode on the road but find it useful when following a forager in the field.

For the same fixed transmission ratio there is no difference whatsoever between the engine braking of one of these and a stepped mechanical or powershift transmission. I cannot emphasise that enough.

The engine braking depends only on the transmission ratio and the type of engine fitted and its characteristics. In pedal mode the rate of transmission deceleration can be adjusted but too slow and you will feel that it doesn't slow down fast enough and too sharp and it will tend to over-rev the engine as it accelerates over compression faster than the transmission slows. I don't like or use pedal mode on the road but find it useful when following a forager in the field.

For the same fixed transmission ratio there is no difference whatsoever between the engine braking of one of these and a stepped mechanical or powershift transmission. I cannot emphasise that enough.
    The salesman for the local Fendt dealer suggested that heavy use of transmission braking is likely to be a cause of early vario failure, is he right?