Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So how serious are things?

Krampeman

Re: So how serious are things?

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    That's the osr crop Lee:cry:
    Obviously some of it was, but there was a heck of a lot of ploughed ground or part ploughed fields as well as some rough scrubbed stuff - looked like pigtail tine type pass maybe to try to open up and dry the top and then left.

To be honest it was a mess and made me realise how lucky we have been getting what crops we have planted in so far.

Today though we have come to an abrupt halt Not drilled anything here for about 2 weeks as I'd done what I wanted. Decided to try to plough up some heavier land after spuds and we cant travel. I think we need either a very hard frost or this dry mid november being predicted. Although I am happy to drill up to the end of Feb for Winter Wheat.

JimF

Has ploughed and drilled crops done a lot better than minimim tillage stuff?

It has here but maybe not a fair comparison .
    Ploughing deep appears to have 'lifted' the land and allowed it to drain more freely.

The only bit of min till was the stubble turnips and most of them a failed altogether.
    Maybe we didn't do it right

Neddy Flanders

just experimenting with new method of picture post.

Losing the will to live on these fields

Yale

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Flanders View Post
    just experimenting with new method of picture post.

Losing the will to live on these fields
    I think you can safely say thats wet.

FarmerStan

Quote Originally Posted by Yale View Post
    I think you can safely say thats wet.
    And whoever was driving in pic 3 must have been p*ssed or something !?:lolk:

Jd9530t

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Has ploughed and drilled crops done a lot better than minimim tillage stuff?

It has here but maybe not a fair comparison .
    Ploughing deep appears to have 'lifted' the land and allowed it to drain more freely.

The only bit of min till was the stubble turnips and most of them a failed altogether.
    Maybe we didn't do it right
    Our ploughed land is no different to mill till land both is bottomless can't get on any of it

Johndeere

Quote Originally Posted by Jd9530t View Post
    Our ploughed land is no different to mill till land both is bottomless can't get on any of it
    How much more have you got to get in Phil?

Wormdigger

Drilling today some sandy soils, porridge on the headlands but good in other areas, good to get some more done today. Local contractors are harvesting maize using muck spreaders to haul the crop from the fields, slow but its reducing damage and getting something done.

Col the Ox

That looks good, wormdigger.

Finally decided, after much thought and many inspections, that my oilseed rape simply is not going to make it this year. Started ploughing it up yesterday in the (vain) hope of getting a second wheat drilled sometime soon. One bit of luck, though. Managed to obtain some Cordiale treated with Latitude!

About time something went right!

czechmate

Col, how thin/small was it to come to that conclusion? I have a couple of fields of welly washers which this year is satisfying but then, upon reflection they generally are not the too yieders

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by Wormdigger View Post
    Drilling today some sandy soils, porridge on the headlands but good in other areas, good to get some more done today. Local contractors are harvesting maize using muck spreaders to haul the crop from the fields, slow but its reducing damage and getting something done.
    Wow, looking good wormd

JCB_3230

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    Only if it was a produce of acres deal though.
    Of course....

Col the Ox

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    Col, how thin/small was it to come to that conclusion? I have a couple of fields of welly washers which this year is satisfying but then, upon reflection they generally are not the too yieders
    CZ, there were a few plants that seemed ok. There were many, however, that just would not grow-still at the two leaf, or even smaller, stage. Coupled with that there were some very thin patchs indeed-maybe some slug damage, but i reckon most of the plants or seeds just rotted.

I'll still grow oilseed rape next year. In hindsight (a wonderful thing!) it went in too late (mid September) and the weather has been an absolute b***tard ever since.

If you can see down the rows, however small the plants may look, i would leave it. You couldn't do that with mine.

The ruminant

Quote Originally Posted by yellow belly View Post
    it is very serious not just in the uk

in addition to the countrys already mentioned

argentina has a few million acres under water brazil s mato grosso is in drought

the theory is that brazil and argentina will save the world but they need a record crop and record crops need to get of to a better than average start

with a lot of the worlds stocks in the hands of end user countrys the world food situation is very serious

imho we do not need to worry about the eu budget /cap reform talks because the longer thay take the more likley the food shortage situation will become the bigger concern for the politicians
    I agree.

They say the world population is forecast to reach 9 billion by 2050. Given that it passed 7 billion recently, that's a further increase of 2 billion during the next 38 or so years. Grabbing my trusty calculator, that means there will be....

.....144,000 more people on the planet every day between now and then. Every day!

In other words, there will be a million more mouths to feed next week, and another million the week after and a further million the week after that etc etc.

martian

Yeah, but the little ones don't eat a lot.

Yet

Farming4profit

Travelled from Peterborough to Berwick on Tuesday by rail and the state of the fields the full length of the east coast were on the whole frightening. I have not known the level of poor establishment so universally bad before. The quantity of fields with very poor emergence, the quantity of standing water in fields and the sheer volume of un-drilled land is new to me in 28 years in arable industry. Those fields with well developed oilseed rape were in a single-figure percentage.

balerman

I drove from Barnstaple to Exeter Westpoint to the beef do the other day,along the linkroad and motorway,the whole way i saw one field of emerged winter corn,probably barley and that looked sick.There was quite a bit planted a couple weeks ago,but not emerged yet,and a lot of stubble fields,we desperately need a dryish mild month or so to get these crops moving.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Farming4profit View Post
    Travelled from Peterborough to Berwick on Tuesday by rail and the state of the fields the full length of the east coast were on the whole frightening. I have not known the level of poor establishment so universally bad before. The quantity of fields with very poor emergence, the quantity of standing water in fields and the sheer volume of un-drilled land is new to me in 28 years in arable industry. Those fields with well developed oilseed rape were in a single-figure percentage.
    I have a train journey from Birmingham to London to tomorrow. You see far more from a train than you do a car so will be interesting to see how bad it is

ozzzie

From reading things on here we must have had a lot more rain in the south , we have not done a thing , doesn't matter what form of seeding your looking at , strip till to ploughing the ground won't even support a tractor on its own , read a post about subsoiling wet ground , down here one you'd get stuck and two if you didn't the ruts would be horrendous , I am going to give it to the end of the month and the give up in head about getting anything done and sow all spring crops . What a b*****d of a year !!!!!!

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by yellow belly View Post
    it is very serious not just in the uk

in addition to the countrys already mentioned

argentina has a few million acres under water brazil s mato grosso is in drought

the theory is that brazil and argentina will save the world but they need a record crop and record crops need to get of to a better than average start

with a lot of the worlds stocks in the hands of end user countrys the world food situation is very serious

imho we do not need to worry about the eu budget /cap reform talks because the longer they take the more likely the food shortage situation will become the bigger concern for the politicians
    I completely agree with that, but when they do get us in there sights it will be later rather than sooner and i dread think what they will come up with

slejpner

metchecks 3mm overnight (in line with others) has become 10 and still drizzling....so that's another week of not having to make the wrong deceision then

Sussex Martin

Quote Originally Posted by ozzzie View Post
    From reading things on here we must have had a lot more rain in the south , we have not done a thing , doesn't matter what form of seeding your looking at , strip till to ploughing the ground won't even support a tractor on its own , read a post about subsoiling wet ground , down here one you'd get stuck and two if you didn't the ruts would be horrendous , I am going to give it to the end of the month and the give up in head about getting anything done and sow all spring crops . What a b*****d of a year !!!!!!
    Big farm local to me has been quietly plugging away when they can, mostly on light ground using different establishment methods. I don't think they have much left to do now. Rape was put in early before the weather really broke and is looking better than most years as it is usually too dry. Wheat is mostly in and varies from looking good to just germinated, seedbeds created next to roads that I pass every day have been wet but passable. Havnt seen any slug pellet used.
    I havnt posted to piss anyone off, just pointing out that things can be very different even over a few miles.

ozzzie

Not annoyed at all , I can remember times when you've been dried out crying for a drink more easterly from here , but Jesus it's wet here now , I'm on heavy ground to , yields well in a normal year but just can't move and can't see things changing till the spring really , staring down the barrel of a harvest without any winter wheat !!!!! Dads 72 and says that's never happened before , I'm not going to mud any in as experience as taught us if we do give it a bad start it won't give us a good finish , some round me are broadcasting and then trying anything to get some seed to soil contact :-/ time will tell

Jon9000

Very wet here in the vale of york, went out today upto helmsley and things on the road are no better. Just very fustrating when you want to be on. Only saw two tractors working drilling bean land with wheat

honest john

There is allways a seed time and a harvest time. We just have to wait for it.
    I remember a wet time like this and some folk got land ploughed then drilled on january frosts the crops looked very good.

Chae

Kind of sums it up!

Don t think this will ever get baled.

johnny400

You snow today chae?

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by johnny400 View Post
    You snow today chae?
    Nah! That was 2 weeks ago. Still isn't baled. Been pretty mild here.