Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 101 things to damage with a hedgecutter!

Yale

101 things to damage with a hedgecutter!

Todays casualty,BT stay wire for a pole.

(Well if they hide them in the hedge and don't put a yellow sheath on them.)

My excuse,sun was in my eyes.:lolk:

davidroberts30

Re: 101 things to damage with a hedgecutter!

i had a leccy cable that some twonk was to lazy to bury at the local rugby club

tractorted

I reckon i''ll have done all the 101 things
    Worst of the top of my head are
    - Phone wire serving maybe 50 house's, took 3 weeks to get fixed!
    - Car parked behind a hedge i was cutting put a nice scrape all down the side of it when cutting back of hedge
    - Knocked a Telegraph pole (It was completely rotten though)
    - knocked a phone wire going into a house with the boom on first run round the field, caught wire on the second run and pulled the soffit outta the house
    - Broke window in a house ( On a new job and cutting behind a pole from the field side doing a great job and sent heavy bit across the road through the window!

That'll do for now

Ted

davidroberts30

old mattresses are fun

tractorted

Only caught the one, any sort of clothing, carpet can be a right nightmare,
    I'd had to come home a few times for the grinder after catching lengths of re bar

Ted

valtra man

My most 'unusual' was a washing line...

tractorted

Quote Originally Posted by valtra man View Post
    My most 'unusual' was a washing line...

:lolk:
    Was there any clothes on it!

spikeislander

snap i did a washing line! knew i had hit it when the washing hit the deck, lucky it didnt wrap the line and pull it in! I had just took top off post hidden in the hedge

barleymow

Chain link fence takesa bit of untangling :lolk:

y fan wen

Not damage a such, but a friend sent a dead cat into an open convertible that was just coming up to pass.

Rob Holmes

My ex boss told me that once when he was doing some roadsides, a woman on a bike was approaching, and the trimmer spat a stick out that cartwheeled down the road and straight into the spokes of her front wheel, she went over the handlebars and broke her collarbone.

As for me, i've done:
    BT phone stays
    a mattress
    a roll of sheep netting
    ...and a mannequin (which i though was a dead body!)

Nearly

Quote Originally Posted by y fan wen View Post
    Not damage a such, but a friend sent a dead cat into an open convertible that was just coming up to pass.

Boring stuff here, phone pole stays, plastic bags, pig netting, silage wrap.

wr

The worst places I find to cut are for non farmers. Their dog is going through the hedge so they bury some netting in there which is hard to see come trimming time. Or the high garden hedge I'd been trimming for years when 3 years ago a new garden shed had been built tight to the inside. Ripped a nice hole in that. Got caught up in a BT cable where they'd laid one of those big donkey dick joiners in the hedge. Had the cable wraped around the flails on a single track road with a car behind me and had to ask the driver to go back enough for me to reverse and unpoll the cable out. I think the worst was a dead badger in the crap I was cutting around a stubble field before ploughing. What a stink. I could smell it for days.

Grassman

I was cutting a roadside hedge with very tall lamp posts in it.
    Nudging round them as you do one just fell over straight across both carriageways. It was very busy and just missed the cars on both sides.
    Got out and a few car drivers and me lifted it on to the pavement.
    On closer examination I found it was completely rotten under the nice looking paint. Rang the council number on the pole and told them what happened and never heard anything about it.
    However, all the poles were quickly replaced for new ones!!

applesquasher

My most spectacular was 6 gardens worth of chain link fence.
    Including all the Sweet Peas, Tomatoes and various other climbing plants the house owners had trained up the fence :

Grassman

Once had a bit of old wire come out of the hedgecutter and it went through the front windscreen and out of the back window of a car. The car occupant just stopped and took details and the insurance paid. Could of been very bad!!

tiptop

cutting road side on main a road, let cutter down with the kerb in the middle of the roller and broke both bearing off each end leaving roller behind rolling down the road, would have to be on a hill, car stoped me and said theres a bomb on the side of the road back there

Tha Ulsterscot

Quote Originally Posted by barleymow View Post
    Chain link fence takesa bit of untangling :lolk:
    +1 . Cutting grass verdge when flails lifted end of a 25 mtr. lying flat in the grass. rolled it up in a split second took a full day to untangle

gone up the hill

Iv got a six foot high two meter square concrete block shed with a pressure vessel in it along one long hedge... contractor was coming down the field the other side of the hedge.. caught the roof and ripped it clean off the other week....

reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    My ex boss told me that once when he was doing some roadsides, a woman on a bike was approaching, and the trimmer spat a stick out that cartwheeled down the road and straight into the spokes of her front wheel, she went over the handlebars and broke her collarbone.
    !)
    Quote Originally Posted by y fan wen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by applesquasher View Post
    Including all the Sweet Peas, Tomatoes and various other climbing plants the house owners had trained up the fence :
    Absolutely priceless :lolk::lolk::lolk:

Any some folk say there's no point doing the jobs with laughs like that

aardvark

As a lad I cut the top foot off a neighbours chicken run wire fence.

No, you don't notice it. It chops it to pieces and spits it out.

Got a bo**ocking for it though.

Condi

Went out one morning doing deep ditches, long way from the yard. Started on my first run and hit some carpet. Stalled the tractor and no way in hell could I unjam it. Had to drive all the way back to the yard then using grinder and forklift got the bugger out.

paul&mandy

Fire hydrant

reboot

Our guy once did a small grey Bt phone cable locker lol

kill
    A burnt out matress took an hr 2 cut from the head an wrecked a new set of bolt cutters once an probably the longest down time was that white plastic an wire electric fence wire that went into the bearin and jamed the rotor solid to the point i had to remove the bearing cover and extract wire from the bearing race cause a 6ft bar wouldnt turn the rotor. Bale wrap is a bitch as well Last year i picked up an old stay wire from a pole when it was replaced. Electric fence stakes fly well if they get thrown from the head an take sum pulling out if tangle as do old tyres Old pig net is harder 2 extract than modern sheep netting. Only ever hit one telegragh pole more than a graze in 25yr trimming an that was at night when rain wi a new trimmer an must ave chewed 40% away :cry: And i did do a garden hedge for a customer once an leveled the top off his nice new trelace fence And ive had a stone take a window outa a parked car on the other side of the road on a very narrow road

Zetor

Quote Originally Posted by applesquasher View Post
    Sorry but I have just PMSL at this. Must have been some sight sitting there watching that lot coming at you.

agrimax

Got a gas cylinder in very long grass. Went off with quite a bang as the gas escaped.Don't know why it didn't explode in flames though as the valve was well chewed.Bound to have been sparks on contact!Went spinning some distance down a busy road and missed hitting anything,luckily.

jfdi

Have seen a few hedges destroyed by hedge cutters

nick

loacal chaps son caught the control box for a klargester hidden in a hedge.didnt do it much good.small hedgecutting jobs are allways the same .ask customers whats hidden in hedge and they say nothing but get upset when you wreck somthing.bit like digger work really
    nick..................

Poorbuthappy

First year I was allowed on trimmer at 1 farm, I hit 2 concrete water troughs while trimming around fields that had been in corn. Wasn't popular, especially after the 2nd.