Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BASE - UK

martian

Re: BASE - UK

Quote Originally Posted by Normandyfarmer View Post
    What do you guys think about the idea of rape and companion crop ?
    Wouldn't that help against pigeon ?
    We tried a few bags of French companion crop (two clovers and a vetch) this year. Probably went in a bit late (early Sept) and took a while to get going, rape came up fast. Pigeons and slugs have reduced rape to near invisibility but clovers and vetch grow on, admittedly still less than six inches high. Had a cold weekend which possibly trimmed companions up, they are meant to die at -6C which we didn't quite get to. They look healthy enough this morning. If they survive the winter I might be tempted to grow them on and save the seed, it was pricey enough. Doesn't look like we're going to make much on the rape...

The Dude

I went to the BASE meeting last month and I am going to plant a cover crop this spring in an area of our fields which has sunk since being sprayed off for blackgrass last May. Does anyone have any recommendations the field is due to be OSR next year and I currently have a wheat, wheat, rape rotation. Is there anything I should avoid? Just looking for something to soak up the water and give it back a bit of life. Have never sown cover crops before and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Kentish_Andy

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I went to the BASE meeting last month and I am going to plant a cover crop this spring in an area of our fields which has sunk since being sprayed off for blackgrass last May. Does anyone have any recommendations the field is due to be OSR next year and I currently have a wheat, wheat, rape rotation. Is there anything I should avoid? Just looking for something to soak up the water and give it back a bit of life. Have never sown cover crops before and would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    You want to grow something that is missing in your rotation. So I would advise a legume in the mix, at least one. Spring beans would give good rooting if your land has slumped, I would also add a vetch and a clover. Also to give you some compaction relief and aeration to your soil I would mix in some fodder radish. Ideally is planting in the spring you would want to add a warm season grass like maize or millet. I would suggest millet as it will not give you trouble in terms of residue come drilling time of OSR. Basically speak to Pedders about seed. I would give the crop some early N say 30kg/ha to get it going. Also I would not plant too early, be patient. Also if the ground is slumped you may need a cultivation pre drilling. Treat it like a crop. I would avoid mustard. Make sure your mix is diverse. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment and enjoy it.

York

why not use this as a option for cover crop seed production.
    Use a mix of Aven Strigosa (Brasilien black oats) which have a good "fighting" capability to black gras and some fooder peas for getting ripe. both are getting harvested together and if you want you "spread" the rape prior to harvest into this crop and off you go.
    York-Th.

York

why not use this as a option for cover crop seed production.
    Use a mix of Aven Strigosa (Brasilien black oats) which have a good "fighting" capability to black gras and some fooder peas for getting ripe. both are getting harvested together and if you want you "spread" the rape prior to harvest into this crop and off you go.
    As Kentisch Andy said rightly, a little N to start with will help. Certainly a good dose of S and if you have a history of short Mg in the leaf a Mg at planting will make quite a difference.
    York-Th.