Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Phone

New Phone

Before anyone starts I am not paying for the privilidge of having an i phone
    I am thinking of getting the sim only deal from virgin 1200mins for £12 and buying a phone.
    which handsets are you guys using and getting on well with?
    I want one that can use a bit of internet for weather and grainman, but mostly a phone that you can actually phone people on and talk to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheers
    rich
    ps esp those who are using sony phones, are they any cop???

Re: New Phone

My wife has a Sony and seems to get on ok. As for iPhone is ok if you have a power station attached I charge mine twice a day and last for about 4 hours on full charge, signal pickup is hopeless as well apart from that I would not b without it

I'm using a Nokia 620 running windows 8. The most complicated Nokia, to set up ever, Once I got it set up though it's been ok, to date. Battery has always lasted all day up to now, Sat Nav is brilliant not many apps yet but I have never had any. Oh and the usual Nokia quality camera only 5mp but good pics.

Most iPhone 4s last a whole day easily with fairly intensive use. FT straps a tractor battery to his back and has an inverter connected between it and the iPhone apparently. I think he must use his phone as a microwave cooker or something.

Since you don't want an iPhone then what about a Nokia 820 at £370 inc VAT at Tesco. Plus points. Points mean prizes.

Too powerful, sophisticated and expensive? What about a HTC DesireX? A lovely smartphone.

Best value has to be the Google Nexus 4 which is currently available at their Play Store here https://play.google.com/store/device...id=nexus_4_8gb at a very reasonable £239 inc VAT.
    Remember that you need 3G data sim card such as a Giff-gaff to utilise the smart part when away from wi-fi.
    © The Duck 2015

I use an inverter in the car as an in car charger can't keep up with the demand

I have a JCB Smart phone its great, had a htc increadable before and it turned out to be junk

Quote Originally Posted by Renaultman View Post
    I'm using a Nokia 620 running windows 8. The most complicated Nokia, to set up ever, Once I got it set up though it's been ok, to date. Battery has always lasted all day up to now, Sat Nav is brilliant not many apps yet but I have never had any. Oh and the usual Nokia quality camera only 5mp but good pics.
    Got my Nokia 620 on a o2 1 day deal for £115 paired it with a giffgaff £12 goody bag and so far its super, only issue is sd card video/photos are not saving properly so having to store on phone but it has 8GB to use.

Renaultman , have you had any issues saving to the micro sd card, what type and class are you using?
    I've tried. 2 kingstone one 8GB class 4 and a 32GB class 10

Daughter has 820 with an 8gig class4 and with no problem. Not sure how it works with hd video though.

Just got a Nexus 4. Very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick K View Post
    Just got a Nexus 4. Very pleased with it.
    It is the one I'd go for now that it is back in stock.
    Unless a waterproof one is wanted, then either a Motorolla or probably the new Sony would head the list. The Panasonic Eluga is another waterproof one if you can find someone who sells it for reasonable money or even at all.
    © The Duck 2015

Im not up on phones but I got a Samsung Galaxy III back in November (upgrading from the B2500 tough phone), and GF has Iphone (not sure which version). I prefer the screen on her Iphone, its abit larger and the touch screen seems better, but find the Samsung software more intuitive. Also prefer the overall size of my Galaxy over her Iphone - its alot smaller in all dimensions.

After 3 months im very happy with the Galaxy, my biggest gripe is signal. That may be my network rather as phone though. Speaker is very good and can hear calls clearly, even with machinery running in background.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

Motorola defy mini. Touchscreen with gorilla glass, splashproof an dustproof. Its a smart phone, but a bit 'harder'

I have the Motorola defy (not mini) it's a good tough phone suited to farming. The drawback is that the processor is a bit slow, which means that if you have too many apps running it can't cope. I manage it by clearing data regularly, and deleteing unused apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsiderofthree View Post
    I have the Motorola defy (not mini) it's a good tough phone suited to farming. The drawback is that the processor is a bit slow, which means that if you have too many apps running it can't cope. I manage it by clearing data regularly, and deleteing unused apps.
    The Motorola I have in mind is the 4.3" Razri running on the Intel Atom 2GHz chip. Shouldn't have any issues with this. It is pretty well high end stuff.
    © The Duck 2015

I have a Nexus 4 with a Virgin £12 deal and i'm really pleased with it. The Nexus may not be rolls royce compared to iphone but i don't really notice any difference - its fast and clear and will keep it 18 months or so then hopefully ebay it for 50% of its value and upgrade. Was paying up to £40 month for a crap blackberry and not a huge amount of minutes with orange and was stuck in that deal for 24 months. Never again will I be doing phone and talktime together - its too expensive.

Currently using htc desire s which has been great but now 2 years old so time for a change. have been with Orange since they were hutchison Telecom and have always been happy with service but since they turned to EE customer service has been going down hill. Probably buy a Nexus 4 and go sim only (provider to be decided). Wife also needs a replacement phone so will probably get my current HTC unlocked and go sim only for her with it untill we see how Nexus does. The problem with many of these phones is they don't like sharing a pocket with various keys, bolts spanners etc but a good case and a screen protector go a long way to curing this.

Sony xperia very happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Currently using htc desire s which has been great but now 2 years old so time for a change. have been with Orange since they were hutchison Telecom and have always been happy with service but since they turned to EE customer service has been going down hill. Probably buy a Nexus 4 and go sim only (provider to be decided). Wife also needs a replacement phone so will probably get my current HTC unlocked and go sim only for her with it untill we see how Nexus does. The problem with many of these phones is they don't like sharing a pocket with various keys, bolts spanners etc but a good case and a screen protector go a long way to curing this.
    So was I till a couple of years ago. Miss Orange care but apart from that no regrets. I'm currently working my way around a Nokia Lumia 620, running windows 8, again with Gorilla glass, can get emails and go online. Very good camera and brilliant sat nav. So far so good.

If going for an Android, and why not, make sure you get one with lots of oomph [as in a powerful processor], 16 gig of storage or a microSD slot and card and, vitally, a minimum of Ice Cream Sandwich but better still, the very buttery Jelly Bean operating system.

You just cannot get near the bang for buck ratio of the Google Nexus 4 from the Google Play store. Nothing comes close unless it is twice the price. And they ship within four days now apparently, as LG [the supplier] and Google have pulled their socks up at last. These things are flying out of the Play Store in their hundreds of thousands, for obvious reasons.
    © The Duck 2015

Have a sony experia arc bin great 18mth contract over now thinking of sim only and carryin on with the phone as still goin well

Good point. If you are happy with your phone and it does all that you want, why change it?
    © The Duck 2015

Taken the plunge and ordered the Nexus 4. As I said above will be keeping my HTC for she who must be obeyed. More than slightly cheesed off at Orange, I was told I was due for an upgrade but when I phoned up to ask about SIM only was informed that they couldn't do that until June as that is when my contract is up. Fair enough but the guy got quite stroppy when I said I would look around at other providers in the meantime oddly enough when I finished ranting he didn't ask if there was anything else he could do for me, think I may have upset him

You will probably find that you will be paying the contract until June anyway. A contract is a contract and their offer of an early upgrade is only at their good grace to lock you in to another long term contract before you become a free agent and can shop around and therefore possibly leave them.

The last thing you want is to be paying twice for three or four months.
    © The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    You will probably find that you will be paying the contract until June anyway. A contract is a contract and their offer of an early upgrade is only at their good grace to lock you in to another long term contract before you become a free agent and can shop around and therefore possibly leave them.

The last thing you want is to be paying twice for three or four months.
    I know a contract is a contract but Orange were happy to sign me up to an upgrade today but only if I was taking a phone as well. I was quite happy to sign up for another contract on sim only, in fact if they had a Nexus for sale I would even have considered taking that on contract. Never mind June will be here before we know it and I will hopefully be too busy doing summer work to even think of looking at a phone contracts.

Depends how much it rains.
    © The Duck 2015

when you say go to sim only, do you mean pay as you go? how much internet usage and data use will you get for say £20 top up? because im in need off a new phone and coming to the end off my contract so wanting to know the cheapest route... tia

No not necessarily payg most of the companies will do a pay monthly agreement without a phone. Three will do a 1 month rolling contract with 200 minutes of calls, 5000 texts and unlimited data for £12.90.

virgin - unlimited calls and texts and 1gb data for £12 (which must be £10 plus VAT)

Uses orange/t mobile network. monthly deal cancel when you want. Just get pac code and your away.

Not much better than that out there at the moment.

Im currently pondering weather to bite the bullet and purchase the Nexus 4, il'll be my 1st android smart phone and was wondering which case/cover to protect it when in my pocket? and if purchasing off Google play store can i claim the VAT back as it will be a buisness phone? cheers.

Yes, of course you can get the VAT back.

As for cover, they are cheap enough, get a work one and a best one or two. There's several pages of choice here, starting from £0.95 plus postage.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...=nexus+4+cover
    © The Duck 2015