Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Phone

Re: New Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    No not necessarily payg most of the companies will do a pay monthly agreement without a phone. Three will do a 1 month rolling contract with 200 minutes of calls, 5000 texts and unlimited data for 12.90.
    If you are happy with the Orange signal but want to change provider have a look at the deals with Virgin. They use the EE masts but their customer service is streets above Orange in my experience, they also offer some very good SIM only deals
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Yes I've always had a soft spot for virginmobile but when only on Tmobile masts the coverage was poor locally.
    Now they use both and are as good as any for PAYG.

As a Virgin BB custome have a super simple 8p/min and 8p/text deal.
    Data is 1.50 per day when you use - which is hardly ever but there if need be.

Got my nexus 4 last week, ordered it Thursday last, receieved it next day, with full vat invoice. Also ordered a case from
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIP-S-LIN...item53f152296d
    99p including p&p good fit and the one I had for my htc lasted 18 months of heavy use. One thing to be aware of is that the Nexus takes a micro sim, it wasn't a problem just had to order one from Orange foc.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Got my nexus 4 last week, ordered it Thursday last, receieved it next day, with full vat invoice.

One thing to be aware of is that the Nexus takes a micro sim, it wasn't a problem just had to order one from Orange foc.

If you wish to use an existing sim, you can easily cut it down to become a micro-sim. There are templates easily available on the internet. I am cack-handed at the best of times but I had no trouble whatsoever cutting an Orange sim down from its full size use, ex Blackberry, to micro size for use in a new Nokia 820. The contract was changed at the same time from a full phone contract to a 12 month sim-only, because the Nokia was bought outright. The sim now costs 12 month iirc.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    The Motorola I have in mind is the 4.3" Razri running on the Intel Atom 2GHz chip. Shouldn't have any issues with this. It is pretty well high end stuff.
    That's the phone that I have -- Just had a firmware upgrade to Android Jelly Bean 4.12 - It was good - now it's better than good. Much, much better than the Motorola Defy+ I had last year.

Hi Old Codger, interested to hear you have changed up from defy to razr, I am using the defy and like the look of the razr, is it as robust as the defy ans how much bigger is it in the pocket?. Is the battery lasting well for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    If you wish to use an existing sim, you can easily cut it down to become a micro-sim. There are templates easily available on the internet. I am cack-handed at the best of times but I had no trouble whatsoever cutting an Orange sim down from its full size use, ex Blackberry, to micro size for use in a new Nokia 820. The contract was changed at the same time from a full phone contract to a 12 month sim-only, because the Nokia was bought outright. The sim now costs 12 month iirc.
    Thanks for that Cb, I was going to cut it down and then thought for all the time I would wait till Orange sent me the new one. I have however now got a couple of adaptors (99p from Ebay) to take it back up to mini sim if I need to use it in one of the old phones. Also picked up a payg Vodaphone micro sim for when I have my son over at Loch Long diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsiderofthree View Post
    Hi Old Codger, interested to hear you have changed up from defy to razr, I am using the defy and like the look of the razr, is it as robust as the defy ans how much bigger is it in the pocket?. Is the battery lasting well for you?
    Hi, the razr i is about the same weight as the defy, quite a bit slimmer and about 14mm longer, battery life is better by about 25%.

The razr i is a much faster and more capable phone than the defy and the screen is a lot bigger/clearer. ( It is of course, a lot more expensive).

I think it is as tough as the defy but I'm not sure if it's as waterproof, it doesn't have the rubber grommet seals like the defy.

All in all, I much prefer it to the defy, and it is a lot less expensive than the Iphone!

Hope this helps.

ive got a defy , on to my second 1 now , what a piece of scrap , constantly having to pull the battery out of , screen freezes , battery gets hot , battery will go from half charged to dead in minutes ( while getting hot ) its like every other motorola ive ever had , lots of good features but just doesn't work , dont think ill have a Motorola again

The razr i is very different to the defy - particularly with android jelly bean, they've done away with the motocrap and it is more like the Samsung & Sony phones but with more bang for your buck.
    You can't do a battery pull on the razr i, but I've not needed to in the four months I've had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    My wife has a Sony and seems to get on ok. As for iPhone is ok if you have a power station attached I charge mine twice a day and last for about 4 hours on full charge, signal pickup is hopeless as well apart from that I would not b without it
    if you haven't already go into settings and turn off location services, my iphone 4s didn't manage a full day before I turned it off now I get 2 days easily.

same problem here duck , have a simple nokia 6230i which has had much abuse and still going strong , voda have sent a lumia 620 on w8to try , after about ten mins it went back in the box ,dont need all it features , but would like to use connected farm app for area measurements of parts of fields so need a phone to run it ,cannot see lumia lasting like old nokia

Quote Originally Posted by 7810 pilot View Post
    same problem here duck , have a simple nokia 6230i which has had much abuse and still going strong , voda have sent a lumia 620 on w8to try , after about ten mins it went back in the box ,dont need all it features , but would like to use connected farm app for area measurements of parts of fields so need a phone to run it ,cannot see lumia lasting like old nokia
    First find your app. Note which operating system or systems it runs on. Get the most ruggedised phone running the latest version of the favoured operating system. Apple don't do 'rugged' or 'drip-proof', so that leaves you with Android and W8. Huge choice of Android phones compared to W8 phones.

But if you really are not happy with a smartphone and don't need one daily, consider doing without. Nothing worse than having to use a tool that you really aren't happy with. But I'm sure you would soon get used to any of the three operating systems and a touchscreen, as people do. You just don't get a half-way choice, it's either you get a smartphone with huge potential, most of which people don't use, or you get another dumbphone. Its not about what a smartphone gives you that you don't need, it is about it being able to actually do the limited number of things you want. Think about what it can do for you, not what it could do that you don't want.
    The Duck 2015