Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tractor ever made?

Drtmoor36

Best tractor ever made?

Just out of curiosity, What in your opinion is the best tractor that's ever been made new or old?

Tree mover

Re: Best tractor ever made?

Valtra across the range!, according to one member!

None are any better or worse than the other. They all break down, but some models which I think your on a quest to find have proven more reliable. Oddly that seems to be stuff built mid 90s to mid 00.

Eg, jd 10 series, 50 series, 40 series; ford 40 series; Fendts before varios and mwm engines; to begin with?

TM135

Probably not the best tractors ever made but the best one we ever had.

NH 7840. We bought ours with 5k hours on at 3 year old sold at 8k hours at 10 year old spent bugger all on it in that time.

2nd best was a Ford 7810. even when it was 9/10th's knackered and we were too skint to replace it, it didnt let us down.

As for the best tractor.

I would think that anyone who can afford, and has the work for one would think that the Fendt 936/939 is well worth a vote.

darrenjlobb

JD older 50 and newer 10 series....since then its all gone downhill!

Cant comment on other makes as we are all green!

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Drtmoor36 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, What in your opinion is the best tractor that's ever been made new or old?
    Best tractor for what? Steerage hoe or prairie cultivating? Did they ever make old ones? Every factory fresh one that I've bought has been new.

Never had one but my overall vote goes to the MF3120 which was of the first mass market tractor to have automated functions and electronic linkage control as well as Dynashift semi-powershift.

As a range, the JD 6000 series has to be up there and every model apart from the 6100 was a peach and it was, as was the MF3000 series, a completely new 'clean sheet' design.

The Ford 4000 and 5000 are up there too, mainly for their light shifting constant-mesh gearbox and wet-brake rear axle, which were novel features when introduced, rather than their engines or hydraulics.

czechmate

David brown.

mattg

Case 9/1056 5150 pro and DB 1690 turbo IMO

eric_t

White David Brown 880!

Jim Bullock

1) Massey Ferguson 178 on over-sized tyres..(16"..!) would out-pull a Ford 7600...ours did over 10,000 hours
    2) Massey Ferguson 2640/2680...simple and if MF produced them today I would be tempted...good roomy cab...never went wrong...
    3) JD 6900....just keeps going...

FarmerStan

My grandad would be saying Field Marshall!

(Needless to say he worked at Marshalls!)

Pingu

Quote Originally Posted by Tree mover View Post
    Valtra across the range!, according to one member!

None are any better or worse than the other. They all break down, but some models which I think your on a quest to find have proven more reliable. Oddly that seems to be stuff built mid 90s to mid 00.

Eg, jd 10 series, 50 series, 40 series; ford 40 series; Fendts before varios and mwm engines; to begin with?
    Why pre vario there fantastic and very reliable! I ask as my personal favourite are Fendt 818 Tms and Fendt 926 g2 both clocked high hrs without being touched and know of a lot others the same.

Cab-over Pete

Beautiful. First place, no question.

As for second place, we could be here forever.

jfdi

Fendt 500's ,Deere 55 series, ford 30 series powershift
    Most reliable was old chaps deutz dx 110, clocked mega hours with only a new clutch, engine was never touched, a huge improvement on the mf 1505 it replaced.

nick channer

70 series new holland.. 8970 especially...

Tha Ulsterscot

MF 135 , by a mile

ih685xl

John deere 2850 gets my vote

mgagri

Ford 3600, only a scraper tractor for us but it started all day, any day, 365 days a year..

ED.D

Quote Originally Posted by jfdi View Post
    Fendt 500's ,Deere 55 series, ford 30 series powershift
    Most reliable was old chaps deutz dx 110, clocked mega hours with only a new clutch, engine was never touched, a huge improvement on the mf 1505 it replaced.
    Probably have to vote for the fendt 500 series, as i got one turning up in the morning.

4wd

Such as the MF135 still in great demand and how many are in regular use at 40+ years old?
    I don't think many of today's tractors will still be going in 2060 however good they are in some ways.

KILDARE

A mf 65 industrial mk2 we had was a brilliant tractor. foot trottle, power steering .wide wheels and a industrial loader fitted.

It did a huge amount of work 12 years and i dont think it ever gave trouble.

I remember once carring a fork full of silage in a field and the front wheel fell off . bearing went .tractor fell over on her side in slow motion with me hopping off.

No hassle , just got another loader to lift it up. nothing broken.

Exfarmer

This argument is pointless and childish

Ok the DB 885

Drtmoor36

Best tractor for what? Steerage hoe or prairie cultivating?
    Not for anything specific, just the best overall.

In my opinion DB 996's are pretty hard to beat!

Ad

Quote Originally Posted by ED.D View Post
    Probably have to vote for the fendt 500 series, as i got one turning up in the morning.
    How are you going to sleep tonight ED

What model, age, hours ect. pic?

Remlap

135 defo

MrNoo

MF 165, had it from new and still use it, only during summer for bale loading, never even looked at the engine. Super Dexta, again from new, always starts first push of the lever. NH 7840 from new, was fully abused and sold with 8k hours, air can rad, 2 pump drive belts and replaced 2 metal pipes with flexi`s under the cab.
    I guess the best has to be the old Grey Fergie, of which I have one sat in the shed, even have the original bill of sale for it!!

KILDARE

Quote Originally Posted by Drtmoor36 View Post
    Not for anything specific, just the best overall.

In my opinion DB 996's are pretty hard to beat!
    David Browns,, NAY. Hard sound from the exaust. a gearbox where you had to chop between high and low as you wanted to move up a speed.
    Had A DB 1200. Got rid of it after 6 months and bought a leyland 384. more rubbish. MF 65 WAS BETTER THAM BOTH

Jcb

Depends on which tractor you grew up with i suppose, fergie with 3 point linkage! 2140, 28 -3650 jd, 956 1455xl. the ever reliable 10 series deere. just a few for thought. My vote would be the fendt 500 50k,air brakes, suspension on an early 90s tractor, streets a head of deeres before most in the uk had heard of them

richardyoung

Quote Originally Posted by ED.D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad View Post
    How are you going to sleep tonight ED

What model, age, hours ect. pic?
    Must feel like Christmas Eve........

kboc

john deere 2850

Yale

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    2) Massey Ferguson 2640/2680...simple and if MF produced them today I would be tempted...good roomy cab...never went wrong...
    ,are you serious.I spent many an hour on one of these,gear change was fine as long as you weren't going up a hill (it would stop before you could get it into the next gear.).Lock was horrendous.

Comfortable cab and ride due to size and slowness,and who thought of putting the throttle between the clutch and the brake pedals.