Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best tractor ever made?

bowl

Re: Best tractor ever made?

Quote Originally Posted by Drtmoor36 View Post
    Not for anything specific, just the best overall.

In my opinion DB 996's are pretty hard to beat!
    got to be the grey fergie surely? the daddy of all the others mentioned on here

Renaultman

In hindsight, our best would probably be an old Zetor 8011.
    Unloved, abused and neglected, yet she always came back for more.

DrDunc

After the horrendous wet summer of '85 when my dad got big silage bales made instead of wee hay ones for the first time, followed by hell all winter getting stuck trying to feed said bales....

A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE LOADER TRACTOR

It was a Zetor 7745.

axial1680

For ease of use, size, handiness, looks, pulling power and bombproof reliability IH 1455XL

bluegreen

This is virtually impossible so I would say John Deere 7810 as best overall tractor

Ford TW15 super Q2 1988 model as my favourite old classic

And MF7624 as favourite current tractor

JimmyM

got to be the mf 135 - bomb proof, still went when well worn, good power to weight ratio, fix with hammer and big ugly screwdriver.
    AND many of a certain age learnt to drive on them as they were pretty simple to control.

Dazza B

DB 990 or mf 135

ED.D

Quote Originally Posted by richardyoung View Post
    Must feel like Christmas Eve........
    trying not to think about it.

rs chunk

Newholland 7740 have a p plate since new 7900hrs still on original 4 goodyear tyres only ever had a few batteries and fan belts.

Gadget

JD 4020

tenseries

Ford 7000 7700 7710 they werent fancy but people round here took tens of thousands of hours out of them with little grief along the way.

mx 270

IH 955 lovely tractor.

REB1952

I don't know about best ever made, of all the different makes and models ever produced, how smaller fraction have any of us every had much experience of?

The best all rounder I've driven is a JD 6600. There have been many "good old" tractors made over the decades, but I don't think I would be very thankful for being given something like a MF135 now to do a days work on. I like a few creature comforts (like not wanting to wear ear defenders while driving) and defiantly prefer electronic linkage controls over mechanical (both to use and to fix).

giles1

IH 674,light,robust,simple,brilliant loader tractor because of gearbox,and Valmet 665,underated in my opinion.Very reliable and along similar lines to the 674,just newer.

Sparrow

JD 6400 at ours 16yrs excellent.

The Pretender

The newest

multi power

massey 35,no doubt about it, other excellent models, jd 2040s, mf 398, mf 65 alough statastics would suggust grey fergie is actualy best tractor of all time, after all what other tractor built n sold 1 million ? 135 must be close some 415,000 being prouduced

tractorbob

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    JD 4020
    At 4 years old (as i was standing in the cab) and still to this day - this did it for me!
    To be honest- if anyone knows where there is such a tractor I would be interested!

Cheers

TB

deere2140

JD 6000 series . Game changer for Deere , game over for all the opposition .

spikeislander

agreed jd 6800 still going and such a revolution from 50 series plus straight away reliable doesnt always happen! Next jd 3350 put 3000 hrs on it wore out a set of tyres and sold for same money we gave.
    3rd IH 674 when next to ford 4000 which was its rival is so quiet and compact for power this one will I fear never leave farm.

forum5000

mccormick mtx135

everything red

MF 6290 good alround tractor,farmer or contractor,fert sower to large implement and they sound great too

dgw

Has to be the Massey 135, probably the best ever usable power to weight ratio tractor.The sheer gutsiness of this machine from such a small engine made it one of the most popular tractors ever made. In the late 1960's one in four of all tractors sold in the UK was a 135.

geraint68

For me it has to be the Case CS94. I know it was a Steyr really but it looked good in Case colours. Mine was an absolute bombproof pocket rocket. Shouldn't have sold it

Hooby Farmer

My dads 585 case international with a loader. it has 13,000 hours and the bastard wont die only ever had a clutch never had a spanner on it.

Enry

Quote Originally Posted by Hooby Farmer View Post
    My dads 585 case international with a loader. it has 13,000 hours and the bastard wont die only ever had a clutch never had a spanner on it.
    How did they change the clutch???

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Hooby Farmer View Post
    It will be the only one in the known Universe and the surrounding area to get that far without being spannered.

If I was your dad I would get it stuffed and mounted on a plinth.

nixorganix

TE20 or MF135

pudding

best tractor ever made is one that is paid for and ready to go

Derky

Fendt 500 series. The 512 was a pocket rocket and ahead of its time.