Thread: 750A drill replacement

james lloyd

750A drill replacement

We are currently running a 750 (old model circa 1998) which is a great drill and we get a great results with it. We use it after sunflower, rape and maize directly.

It works very well but our problem is after grain maize. The stalks seem to knock the sh*t out of it, the arms on the closing wheel break at the shaft (both ends) and the seeding boot bolts break and wear very quickly. we seem to loose about 1-2 days drilling a year due to these breakages. We have tried drilling a slower speeds of 8-9km/hr but it is still very hard on the drill. we also have the problem that the maize is irrigated so in a wet year we are left with surface compaction after harvest and that the 750 will only work well in good conditions.

Are the newer 750 models stronger? or would we be better to change to a horsch co3/co4 drill with gen coulters. My thoughts are that the horsch type drill would take out surface compaction and would work in slightly wetter situations.

If we were to go down the co3/co4 would it cope with the large amount of debris after after grain maize or would it just block up.

Andrew Kerr

Re: 750A drill replacement

Why not try a Mzuri and drill the grain maize with it as well?

james lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Why not try a Mzuri and drill the grain maize with it as well?
    I have spoken to martin lole and he is just concerntrating on the uk market for the moment.

We could not drill the maize with the mzuri as we need row widths of 80cm to harvest the crop.

Would the mzuri not block up in all of the residue after maize?

Here are some pic from another thread of what we have to deal with !!

https://plus.google.com/photos/11016...23819760772273

Andrew Kerr

I know Martin has drilled after maize with a Mzuri.
    I take it you arent using a Kemper type header on the maize?

Tim Fr

James,
    A bit old had but a Moore would drill in that.
    Don't you get slug problems? May be growing maize next year ourselves but with a major slug problem after chopped straw I am concerned. Had no problems after sun flowers & rape though.

Badshot

It's being combined not foraged isn't it? So a lot of residue not just the stalks sticking out of the ground.

james lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    I know Martin has drilled after maize with a Mzuri.
    I take it you arent using a Kemper type header on the maize?
    maize is drilled in 80cm row to faciltate harvesting of cobs

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Fr View Post
    James,
    A bit old had but a Moore would drill in that.
    Don't you get slug problems? May be growing maize next year ourselves but with a major slug problem after chopped straw I am concerned. Had no problems after sun flowers & rape though.
    Would the more not have the same problem as the 750 with the stalks. Very rare to have slug problems after maize, might get a bit of a wet headland nibbled.

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    It's being combined not foraged isn't it? So a lot of residue not just the stalks sticking out of the ground.
    Yes it is been combined, so large amount of residue to be dealt with. the question is would a tine drill cope with that volume of residue

Mr Bean

George Simon tells me that the new wider spacing (18.75cm) Simtec T-Sem will now drill into combined maize stubble.

155tm

Admittedly I have no experience of grain maize, but my experience of the CO4, Sprinter and a 750a into chopped wheat straw would prompt me to suggest that you would experience a degree of dragging up lumps of trash and or blocking with the horsch. Probably.

Johndeere

Quote Originally Posted by 155tm View Post
    Admittedly I have no experience of grain maize, but my experience of the CO4, Sprinter and a 750a into chopped wheat straw would prompt me to suggest that you would experience a degree of dragging up lumps of trash and or blocking with the horsch. Probably.
    Our horsch direct drills into chopped wheat straw without dragging up lumps of straw, three rows of coulters allows it to pass through no problem

marco

Quote Originally Posted by james lloyd View Post
    We are currently running a 750 (old model circa 1998) which is a great drill and we get a great results with it. We use it after sunflower, rape and maize directly.

It works very well but our problem is after grain maize. The stalks seem to knock the sh*t out of it, the arms on the closing wheel break at the shaft (both ends) and the seeding boot bolts break and wear very quickly. we seem to loose about 1-2 days drilling a year due to these breakages. We have tried drilling a slower speeds of 8-9km/hr but it is still very hard on the drill. we also have the problem that the maize is irrigated so in a wet year we are left with surface compaction after harvest and that the 750 will only work well in good conditions.

Are the newer 750 models stronger? or would we be better to change to a horsch co3/co4 drill with gen coulters. My thoughts are that the horsch type drill would take out surface compaction and would work in slightly wetter situations.

If we were to go down the co3/co4 would it cope with the large amount of debris after after grain maize or would it just block up.
    re the coulters + bolts you might need this kit, http://jddrillfix.com/repair_kit

would 12.9 grade bolts help with the closing wheel?

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    re the coulters + bolts you might need this kit, http://jddrillfix.com/repair_kit

Did that little job last week marco, seeing as it has been wet. There were random lumps of carbon in the steel so we did end up snapping one of the drill bits Thanks for your help.

Johndeere do you not find that in a really heavy straw crop you can block the drill and have to slow down to let it flow through? I am assuming more trash in maize than wheat?

Johndeere

Did that little job last week marco, seeing as it has been wet. There were random lumps of carbon in the steel so we did end up snapping one of the drill bits Thanks for your help.

Johndeere do you not find that in a really heavy straw crop you can block the drill and have to slow down to let it flow through? I am assuming more trash in maize than wheat?
    The only time I have blocked the drill is direct drilling after a flat crop of wheat

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by james lloyd View Post

The seeding boot bolts should be tight. If they are moving around in an egg shape hole then they need to be rebushed etc. That would help a lot. Just to check your not actually running the boot in the soil are you?

Can't figure out what is happening to the arms but are you using smooth cast closing wheels? Possibly extra bounce is causing them to snap or maybe they are brittle?

Maybe email Phil Needham in the States for some other opinions. I visited a lot of WW being seeded into grain maize with john deere drills in the US a few years back with him and he knows a fair bit. It shouldn't happen so I'd put my money on metal fatigue and possibly heavy bouncing cast wheels.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post

That kit looks useful when the time comes - are they happy to ship to the UK ?

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    That kit looks useful when the time comes - are they happy to ship to the UK ?
    You only need the bushes and another drill bit to replace the one we snapped, and I will send the rest of the kit on to you Clive. Marco imported it and I had the second go!

Clive

You only need the bushes and another drill bit to replace the one we snapped, and I will send the rest of the kit on to you Clive. Marco imported it and I had the second go!
    Thanks for that. I will get some bushes ordered, checked wear today and they do need doing, might explain why we see some seed on the surface ??

how long does it take ? looks like a job to do when we have plenty of time to spare when we get drilled up

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Thanks for that. I will get some bushes ordered, checked wear today and they do need doing, might explain why we see some seed on the surface ??

how long does it take ? looks like a job to do when we have plenty of time to spare when we get drilled up
    Get a spare drill bit at the same time! Seed on the surface could be reduced by dropping the fan speed a bit, comparing the new boots to the old is night and day!

4.5m wide took 1.5 days on and off. Can be done on the machine and with the discs still attached, just need help to hold the press wheel out of the way and a nice controllable slow start drill.

We had planned to leave it until the end of autumn drilling, but seeing as that is going to drag all the way into spring drilling......

Clive

I don't suppose anyone has a spare bush I could buy off them ? showed the website to a mate that owns an engineering company and the reckons he could knock them out cheap, would be a lot less hassle than importing them when anyone need them ??

shakerator

we just drill the hole a bit bigger and use fatter bolts

works well.