Thread: Renting out roof for solar?

Bull

Renting out roof for solar?

Does this happen? We have several sheds pointing the right direction for at least a 50kw system we've had several quotes in tho they were a while ago but just wondered if any one does rent roofs for solar or would I be better doing it myself?

Exfarmer

Re: Renting out roof for solar?

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    Does this happen? We have several sheds pointing the right direction for at least a 50kw system we've had several quotes in tho they were a while ago but just wondered if any one does rent roofs for solar or would I be better doing it myself?
    You will be lucky to get paid money as rent
    Most deals are done as a free source of electricity to the building owner

If you use a large amount of electricity it is certainly worth looking at both deals
    I would not leave it too long as the returns are falling

RGT

Question Re: Renting out roof for solar?

Like the FREE solar panels offer,and Free Electric Gimmicks about?

ie- A company installs solar panels for free-you get free electric, and in return the catch they get/keep the FIT.
    Time goes by;-
    Problem with roof- leaking etc.-got to get permission with panel company to get to your roof etc .to sort out etc.? Cost/issues there?

If Need to take off-permission needed againetc.?

Worst case senario if panels got to come off for good- panel company will turn around and say-right there is x amount of years to go with the FIT so we want that,plus expenses??

Time goes on- wife/husband dies- want to sell-even if freehold- issues raised with ''solar panels company'' interest in your roof, etc.etc.

If you have'nt a good roof the house is worthless?

This is going to be a boom area for legal people specializing in renewables as and when time and these sort of issues arise???

Nothings Free is it?
    Do it all yourself and you know where you are.

MyriadCEG

Completely echo RGT's comments above.

Rent-a-Roof has far more complex implications than for example land leasing for wind turbines. Not much can go wrong with a field for 20 years, a hell of a lot can go wrong with a roof - especially when you put a decent weight on it.

Nope, for Solar PV, the only way is DIY.

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by Bull View Post
    I briefly looked at this before we installed our own 15 months ago. The rents being offered were pathetic at about 2500 per year for a shed big enough to take a 70kw system. Do not even consider it.

Even ground based rents are not very good in the grand scale of things which is about 1000/ha/yr because 8t of wheat at 180/t will gross you over 1400/ha so by the time you have removed your growing costs it will be less than the solar but not worth the hassle/risk/annoyance of looking at a load of panels for the next 20 years.

What will wheat be worth in 10 years time?

Ground based solar rent needs to be around 5000/ha/year + free elec and then that needs to be index linked as well. Remember its taxable income in a very clear and transparent way. At least your income off a ha has various tax advantages and systems to be used to reduce the tax paid.

A lot of these renewable energy companies need to wise up because farmers are not stupid and we are the ones providing the sites for these people to make a lot of money so we want a piece of the pie.

Exfarmer

Think some of you guys should get real
    If you have spare cash and you use a lot of summer electric
    Yes go for it

If you run an overdraft , unless you can borrow money at 3% it is not worth doing unless your summer day time consumption is high and this can be the case in some specific circumstances

I would only ever look at placing on roofs which are fairly new
    They must be insured
    Why should a roof need repairing within 20 years unless you put a teleporter through it then insurance would cough up
    Besides which removing panels is a very simple job

The good times have gone and I am certain that are no companies prepared to rent roofs today unless they charge you for power consumed
    Never. Forget the inverters are not going to last forever

Does anyone still do free solar panels for small businesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Stump Grinder View Post
    Does anyone still do free solar panels for small businesses?
    In some situations it is still possible
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Would you want to do some in County Durham? Don't want to borrow any money at the moment no till the milk price rises anyway.

Would you want to do some in County Durham? Don't want to borrow any money at the moment no till the milk price rises anyway.
    Hi Stump Grinder

As Exfarmer correctly says there are no 'Free Solar' deals available any more. However as with all things financial and being City lead there are still several options.

If you are a large user (50% of generation plus) then you can enter into a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with an Investor who will put the Solar on for Free and typically charge you say 7p per unit (index linked) for the next 20 years and then you will have free power after that period for the useful lifetime of the system.

However we are currently putting together a deal for a farmer trough a progressive investor who does not want to tie a large amount of cash up front in a Solar Installation but is happy to invest 25% of the installation costs and for this he will then receive free electricity for the lifetime of the system. His payback is 3 years and his ROI dependent upon future electricity price hikes is very impressive to say the least.

The bottom line is that as long as there is a ROI from the FIT, Export and future Energy Inflation there will always be financial deals available.

if anyone has any interest in any of these schemes please feel free to give me a shout

Kind Regards

Mike Smith
    0796 462 9142 50 kW Solar OFFER

Chaps I know of a great PPA offer which sells you leccy for 5p a unit. No lease and they will do 50-250kw. You need a metal roof or at worst a cement roof with no asbestos. I'm pretty sure they even do East west roofs too! Message me for their details.

in answer to the doubters - it's only worth looking at self-funding if you are ok with 6-8 year pay-backs otherwise why not just get 50%+ off your bill from day 1? The roof isn't making you money without solar after all...

Quote Originally Posted by windymiller View Post
    Chaps I know of a great PPA offer which sells you leccy for 5p a unit. No lease and they will do 50-250kw. You need a metal roof or at worst a cement roof with no asbestos. I'm pretty sure they even do East west roofs too! Message me for their details.

in answer to the doubters - it's only worth looking at self-funding if you are ok with 6-8 year pay-backs otherwise why not just get 50%+ off your bill from day 1? The roof isn't making you money without solar after all...
    With the current panel prices, in the right situation I can beat this hands down.
    It is even possible to pay a small rent sometimes
    if anyone is interested PM me

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    With the current panel prices, in the right situation I can beat this hands down.
    It is even possible to pay a small rent sometimes
    if anyone is interested PM me
    You say you can beat that hands down, how many have you done and who funds them? Spill the beans!.. Pm me

Quote Originally Posted by windymiller View Post
    You say you can beat that hands down, how many have you done and who funds them? Spill the beans!.. Pm me

OK Windy.
    I fund these myself, with proceeds from my farm sale.
    I have done a few and am looking for more.

Now a question for you.
    Are you a farmer or in the renewables industry?

Don't want to borrow any money at the moment no till the milk price rises anyway.
    Why would a rise in the milk price have a bearing on what should be a stand alone project ? ?

If the job works financially on it's own 2 feet then get on with it, if not leave it alone.
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil