• 90+

64 34.97%

Thread: % WW Drilled

Dougal

% WW Drilled

As Title .... As a snapshot of how things have progressed

Renaultman

Re: % WW Drilled

25 acres to drill after Taties, just had a look and it's going to have to dry up a lot first :cry:
    This doesn't include any that I may have to re-drill.

Seat Right Back

still only 1acre out of quite a few acres drilled :lolk:

strip-till-phil

100% drilled but around 75% written off as of now due to slugs & rot.

Ordered more wheat seed to drill late Jan early Feb if we get a window

So after all the shouting Iv'e done about how good my Claydon drill is......this years got me big style:cry:

Still learning

harrisonion

We've drilled about 12%. We only start after potato harvest, but are usually done by now.

barleymow

Finished on 14 oct all up , not used any slug pellets ,all sprayeds post emergence .

Andrew Kerr

Phil,

Did you feel smearing the seed zone was a problem?

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by strip-till-phil View Post
    100% drilled but around 75% written off as of now due to slugs & rot.

Ordered more wheat seed to drill late Jan early Feb if we get a window

So after all the shouting Iv'e done about how good my Claydon drill is......this years got me big style:cry:

Still learning
    not a great year to judge the performance of any drill though Phil - hopefully these conditions are not something we will have to deal with very often !

aardvark

Shortly after the Claydon drill was introduced I had chance to see what it could do on the makers own farm.
    The WOSR was very late flowering (just starting as most was finishing) and did not look too promising.
    The WW was very thin and had just received it's 5th dose of slug pellets (in May!!!).

There is no doubt that cultivations do kill slug eggs. Putting seed into slots in wet soil also creates a great runway for them to feed down. Leaving all the trash on the surface also makes it much harder to kill them with pellets as they have plenty to feed on other than the pellets.

I may only have 46% WW sown but at least we are on top of the slugs and it is emerging well.

Rape looks cracking too.

tchris

Poll should maybe ask what percentage growing, have 90% sown but probably only 70% will survive

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Shortly after the Claydon drill was introduced I had chance to see what it could do on the makers own farm.
    The WOSR was very late flowering (just starting as most was finishing) and did not look too promising.
    The WW was very thin and had just received it's 5th dose of slug pellets (in May!!!).

There is no doubt that cultivations do kill slug eggs. Putting seed into slots in wet soil also creates a great runway for them to feed down. Leaving all the trash on the surface also makes it much harder to kill them with pellets as they have plenty to feed on other than the pellets.

I may only have 46% WW sown but at least we are on top of the slugs and it is emerging well.

Rape looks cracking too.
    Better to have 46% drilled and looking well than 100% drilled and 2/3rds of it possible not making it thru to harvest due to slugs..

Worst wheat crops in this area last year by a long way were the ones all min tilled etc and the best ones were crops that had been P/combi drilled..

Two things that help with slugs are baling all the straw and cultivations..

Worst two things are chopping the straw and min till..

Sometimes less is more...

Clive

Rape looks cracking too.
    bit of a generalising post - for balance i haven't cultivated and have drilled close to 1000ac of wheat so far with a 4m drill and all of it is growing and I am also on top of slugs

strip-till-phil

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Phil,

Did you feel smearing the seed zone was a problem?
    No, I thought most of it had gone in very well with only occasional 'slotting' under trees on headlands/ odd clay patch.

Uncontrolable amounts of slugs and lots of rain after drilling is
    the problem, all what weve written off is after OSR, (some chopped some removed) wheat after beans should be ok

No winter beans planted yet

Against_the_grain

How long before we see the results of this poll being quoted in the media??!

aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    bit of a generalising post - for balance i haven't cultivated and have drilled close to 1000ac of wheat so far with a 4m drill and all of it is growing and I am also on top of slugs
    You might see it as a generalising post Clive but everything I said is true IMO and many others.

You may be on top of slugs but they are a massive challenge for no till WW in a wet autumn (and also in a dry one) unless you use considerable amounts of pellets.

If we are all looking at cheaper ways to establish crops, are multiple applications of a none-too environmentally friendly poison the best way to go, as all you are doing is hastening the banning of metaldehyde, closely followed by methiocarb.

I use pellets but feel I have failed if I need more than one dose per crop. Yes, I have failed this autumn as some have had two applications.

Clive

You might see it as a generalising post Clive but everything I said is true IMO and many others.

You may be on top of slugs but they are a massive challenge for no till WW in a wet autumn (and also in a dry one) unless you use considerable amounts of pellets.

If we are all looking at cheaper ways to establish crops, are multiple applications of a none-too environmentally friendly poison the best way to go, as all you are doing is hastening the banning of metaldehyde, closely followed by methiocarb.

I use pellets but feel I have failed if I need more than one dose per crop. Yes, I have failed this autumn as some have had two applications.
    It may differ between region but slugs are no better or worse around here no matter how the crop was established

What I want is someone who holds your believe that dd has worse slug problems to justify the statement with a logical reason why ?

I can and have given logical reason why I feel the dd approach has made management of a massive slug problem better and easier than it would have been had we mintilled or ploughed the same land on other threads