Thread: 1954 major antifreeze

Ali Aberdeen

1954 major antifreeze

How do,
    Can anyone tell me how much antifreeze I need to put in my major radiator and what mix I should use?

agrimax

Re: 1954 major antifreeze

I would be going with a good quality ethylene glycol mix at 50/50 mix or there abouts.Think the total capacity is near 12l,so 6l of antifreeze would be enough.

Ali Aberdeen

Cheers for that.
    I was thinking 50/50 and found on tinternet a volume of around 12 lts after posting.

Exfarmer

Always use distiller water to mix
    In most conditions 25% is good enough but where you are 50% is probably wise

Julian_P

Have found 1/3 (33%) ideal for the UK, 25% is too weak if we get a really harsh frost while 50% just hurts the wallet unnecessarily.

There's no need to use distilled water unless you live in a hard water area.

Julian.

hughf

What is the problem with using hard water for the mixture?

I would agree with 33% concentration being adequate.

agrimax

Ali is well up north don't forget.
    Hard water causes a build up of scale(calcium) throughout the cooling system,and reduces flow and such like.

Exfarmer

It is not just the scale causing problems but other chemicals can cause corrosion in the blocks long term
    All the proprietary ready mix use distilled water as the base for this reason

Julian_P

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    All the proprietary ready mix use distilled water as the base for this reason
    To split hairs here, my inclination is that they use de-ionised water, cost being the reason?

Julian.

massey765

dont most wet liner engines like 50/50 to help stop cavitation that leaves yhe maggot holes in the liners ?