Thread: 50kw solar v 10kw wind

big_phil

50kw solar v 10kw wind

Ok my 5okw cost 56k installed before 1st aug 2012 so 15,2p fit 42,000kw per yr and 30,000 kwused on site so 7k fit and 4k savings approx per yr , no export as its very little anyways , payback approx 5-6 yrs ,so this must be very similar to a 10kw turbine but with less things to go wring ?

kill
    So u use 30000kw of leccy. Do u only use this when the sun shines an live in a cave when it DONT? I doubt it? Mayb a balance of both would mean u were to buy the least from the grid?

RGT

Re: 50kw solar v 10kw wind

Good idea-but be careful as I looked at solar to go with my wind turbine but as different fit's rates- the total payable is at the lower techknowelogy level anyhow?

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Good idea-but be careful as I looked at solar to go with my wind turbine but as different fit's rates- the total payable is at the lower techknowelogy level anyhow?
    The two technologies do not overlap
    If you have Solar panels at 50 kw it will be paid at rate for 50kw
    You can also have turbine at 10kw and be paid 10 kw rate
    The only instance where it overlaps is export
    You can have up to 30 kw in total and claim the standard 50% deemed export rate with no meter
    If you have total generation of whatever technology over 30 kw you will need an export meter to claim
    I have done considerable research on this one and have been given bad advice by Ofgem on two occasions regarding this

big_phil

Wink Re: 50kw solar v 10kw wind

ok say i use half 20,000 kw its still worth it

RGT

Question Re: 50kw solar v 10kw wind

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    The two technologies do not overlap
    If you have wind at 50 kw it will be paid at rate for 50kw
    You can also have turbine at 10kw and be paid 10 kw rate
    The only instance where it overlaps is export
    You can have up to 30 kw in total and claim the standard 50% deemed export rate with no meter
    If you have total generation of whatever technology over 30 kw you will need an export meter to claim
    I have done considerable research on this one and have been given bad advice by Ofgem on two occasions regarding this

Think that is not correct- or different to what SSE Told me?
    Its what the total kwhrs per registered premises is.

You cannot have a small solar array on your house getting 42p/kw and wind turbine small 6 kw getting 29p/kw the another turbine you put up later getting 21p/kwhr, the total is all at the lower rate?

RGT

This is it below from Ofgem;

Please refer to the guidance document for suppliers found on Ofgems website:
    Feed-in Tariff: Guidance for licensed electricity suppliers

Different technology type extensions
    6.15. In circumstances where an accredited FIT installation has been extended with a different technology type, the extension will be treated as a separate installation. FIT Licensees should treat the extension as a new application to the FIT scheme in accordance with Chapter 3.
    6.16. Payments to the extension will accrue from its eligibility date. The start generation and/or export meter reading must be captured on the eligibility date.

6.17. Where the accredited FIT installation and the extension share the same generation meter, the lower of the two tariffs that would otherwise be received if each installation had a separate meter should be applied to all generation from the generation meter reading captured on the extension‟s eligibility date.

6.18. If one of the installations sharing the meter becomes ineligible for FITs, for example because its eligibility period of that installation has come to an end, the other installation must be metered separately to ensure that it remains eligible for FITs until the end of its eligibility period. The tariff rate of the remaining installation will be reset to a tariff that would have been assigned to that installation on its eligibility date.

Exfarmer

You cannot have a small solar array on your house getting 42p/kw and wind turbine small 6 kw getting 29p/kw the another turbine you put up later getting 21p/kwhr, the total is all at the lower rate?
    Please note I have edited my post
    I meant to say you could have different technologies at different rates
    They do not interfere even going through the same meter
    They do though interfere if you want to export
    If you have total over 30 kw of all technologies combined going through a single meter you must have an export meter
    This will not be possible if you have free turbines or panels supplied by different suppliers as there is no way of splitting the export
    You cannot claim the 50 % deemed if your total is over 30 kw you must have an export meter
    If you have more than one meter you can multiply your production at the higher rates so if you have 5 meters you can have 5 X 10 kw panel set up plus the relevant windmills

Exfarmer

The second turbine will impinge on the first if it takes the production into the next Step for payments
    It will have no effect at all on the solar

RGT

6.17. Where the accredited FIT installation and the extension share the same generation meter, the lower of the two tariffs that would otherwise be received if each installation had a separate meter should be applied to all generation from the generation meter reading captured on the extension‟s eligibility date.

above.

Lower of the two tariffs?

Therefore fit payable will be governed by lower feed in tariff currently on that device?

FIT is the expensive ones not the export rates?

BigAndy

above.

Lower of the two tariffs?

Therefore fit payable will be governed by lower feed in tariff currently on that device?

FIT is the expensive ones not the export rates?
    But if you have 2 different technologies you would have to be seriously stupid to only have one generation meter!

2 different technologies means you can get whatever rate applicable on both, the fact you have 2 technologies makes no difference.

If you expand same technology then the 2nd install will be at a lower rate if it crosses band, as long as its 12 months after first, the first will remain at the rate applicable at the time of install. Even then I believe you can still have another generation meter to stop cofusion over what amount is elligible at what rate.

Why would you want to put all through one FIT meter?

RGT

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    But if you have 2 different technologies you would have to be seriously stupid to only have one generation meter!

2 different technologies means you can get whatever rate applicable on both, the fact you have 2 technologies makes no difference.

If you expand same technology then the 2nd install will be at a lower rate if it crosses band, as long as its 12 months after first, the first will remain at the rate applicable at the time of install. Even then I believe you can still have another generation meter to stop cofusion over what amount is elligible at what rate.

Why would you want to put all through one FIT meter?

we do what the meter man /supplier/import/export/ofgem tell us??

BigAndy

Ofgen dont tell you to put all through one FIT meter. You can still go through the same mpan, dont know as regards import export but def dont need to be same FIT meter.

each install is perfectly entitled to its own FIT meter, I know people who have wind and solar, solar and hydro etc etc all with differing FIT meters for each install.

Exfarmer

I think you ae confusing FIT generation meter, and export meter
    The export meter is usually the same meter as the import meter
    But you should normally have a different generation meter for each technology and frequently a different meter for each piece of that technology
    If you introduce new technology to a site already exporting at a lower rate you will have to accept that rate for any extension

As I said before do not trust anything Ofgem tell you
    I have just been informed that they will not give anything but unofficial guidance on installations below 50 KW
    This means the temp they employed yesterday is dispensing advice and they will not put anything in writing

We were consistently mislead by them on a situation which could have resulted in myself being prosecuted for fraud, even though we had attempted several times to get written confirmation of their advice that it was OK to do what we proposed
    The information was also the same being given to us by 3 different companies selling their technology
    We had sought advice as we did not think it was right, nor did my solicitor

RGT

Per Premises /address- total fit claimed as registered Ofgem approved Claimant.

You surely cannot have lots different roc and import/export meters with different techknologies on them attracting different FIT payments ??

ie/ small turbine start of fits payments at high rate a large turbine then at the current rate and also a solar set up on high tariff.???

Thats never correct?

I am certains its all import/export/ FITS claimed as per address and all then payed/scaled
    towards it that way?

Think all the people that have multple techknologies given wrong advise are up againts it?

BigAndy

You are wrong I have read the guidance and its as I say.
    It is nothing to do with address its is down to MCS number of accreditted install.
    As I say even if you expand a currently installed technology you can still get higher rate on 1st install if 2nd done at least 12 months following. Only the 2nd will be at lower rate (presuming you cross threshold). I believe you can get a 2nd Fit meter for that install if you can practically do it as well to confirm its annual output.

As for different technologies that is no where near as complicated, each qualifies at whatever rate is applicable for that technology at the time and the rated capacity. Each gets its own Fit meter.

If you have been told different, I suggest it is a supplier trying to not pay for a fit meter or doesn't want to put one in. But they should.

Exfarmer

To go back to your original post
    I think the confusion is your export
    You cannot export at the higher rate if you have technology which is on the old 3.2 pence rate
    If you are looking to install solar panels, the presence of the turbines will have absolutely no effect on the generation fits you recieve
    It may cause great confusion if you are looking to export and you have more than 30 kw in total as I found

Eastender

Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    You are wrong I have read the guidance and its as I say.
    It is nothing to do with address its is down to MCS number of accreditted install.
    As I say even if you expand a currently installed technology you can still get higher rate on 1st install if 2nd done at least 12 months following. Only the 2nd will be at lower rate (presuming you cross threshold). I believe you can get a 2nd Fit meter for that install if you can practically do it as well to confirm its annual output.

As for different technologies that is no where near as complicated, each qualifies at whatever rate is applicable for that technology at the time and the rated capacity. Each gets its own Fit meter.

If you have been told different, I suggest it is a supplier trying to not pay for a fit meter or doesn't want to put one in. But they should.
    Andy is just about spot on.
    We have 2 turbines installed at different times (the 12 month rule no longer exists, they just have to be installed at different times), both have their own FIT meter, both are on different FIT rates (one high, one lower) and they both export electricity through the same Export meter and get the same EXPORTED rate.
    If we added solar I guess we would have yet another FIT meter on a different rate.
    OFGEM / Energy Saving Trust are useless. You get a different answer every time you phone. We were told (and have in writing) from the EST before we went ahead with the second turbine, that we would not get any FIT payment on the second one!! Thankfully we got better (and correct) advice elsewhere.

RGT

Ofgem are incharge and. What ever they dictate thats, correct

Eastender

Ofgem are incharge and. What ever they dictate thats, correct
    I'll sleep well tonight knowing that DEFRA / BCMS / OFGEM etc are staffed by Oracle like experts in their field who all know the far end of a fa*t with regard to their chosen subject.

RGT

The rules are the rules how ever you want to look at it?

RGT

Exclamation Re: 50kw solar v 10kw wind

Articles on this have been doctored and added to combined outputs thread. By means other than normal posting methods?