Thread: Best all round antibiotic for sheep?

Best all round antibiotic for sheep?

Hi folks. I am new to sheep only started last year. What is the best antibiotic to keep for foot problems, after a bad lambing, prolapse, pneumonia etc. at the moment I have been using Norbrook Alymicin LA for lame ewes. Is this the right choice?

Re: Best all round antibiotic for sheep?

Mainly yes.

It depends on if you have enough sheep to justify getting your vet to recommend maybe 4 or 5 different antibiotics for various diseases,
    Draxin is much more effective for mastitis, but very expensive.

Draxin is a good drug for lameness, another the same is zuprevo, and a bit cheaper i think too? could be wrong, have great results with this, works on pasterella, and one of the best for calf pneumonia so would guess one of the better ones for sheep pneumonia too

Alymicin la is good, tend to use this for any that are not badly lame, or any lambs that are lame or have a swelling.

Use Betamox on any ewes i have lambed, or any lambs that maybe get wet mouth. dont tend to inject any prolapse ewes, maybe im wrong to do so, i normally mix a weak detol solution and clean it gently before putting it back.

I keep a bottle of vit B1 for any that go down with CCN, or break into a pheasant feeder, or maybe eats bracken.

For mastitis i use Metacam and Tilan, although if i don't happen to catch it right away find limited success with anything to save that teat.

Hope this helps a bit, and all the best with your new flock

I have always just alternated between a penecillin and a tetracycline based LA antibiotic

800 breeding ewes and i get through about 2 bottles a year---use whatever i have for all problems, feet/mastitis/wounds /whatever

Betamox LA for most things. Once had to use Zactran for foot rot.

Have bottle of Zactran for Pnumonia ,certainly ewes that are weak and vunrable and need cover and also mastitis.

Penacilin based for lysteria ,aborted ewes and those that are slow to clense.

Tetracycline LA would be used if there were problems with abortion ,5ml each .

Tetracycline short active would be used if we had watery mouth .

Have used zuprevo for best results with pneumonia , but I am not sure how well it works with mastitis.

Synalox we would use for joint navil.

A bottle of anti inflamotry is invalueble.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I have Tetroxy LA on hand for general use (after bad lambing, etc) with Metacam and Zuprevo for mastitis/foot infections. Being a very similar drug, Zuprevo is as close to Micotil as a farmer can use, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Have bottle of Zactran for Pnumonia ,certainly ewes that are weak and vunrable and need cover and also mastitis.

Penacilin based for lysteria ,aborted ewes and those that are slow to clense.

Tetracycline LA would be used if there were problems with abortion ,5ml each .

Tetracycline short active would be used if we had watery mouth .

Have used zuprevo for best results with pneumonia , but I am not sure how well it works with mastitis.

Synalox we would use for joint navil.

A bottle of anti inflamotry is invalueble.
    You're a walking medicine cabinet !

We use Alamycin LA for most things and it seems to do a good job. For mastitis, on vet advice, we do a 4-day, all-in-one dose of Marbox to try and overwhelm it, plus a normal dose of Metacam.
    Clive Tee

We keep Alamycin LA in stock for most things. Any problem that needs something different generally merits a vet visit anyway and he doles out the necessary.

Alamycine LA for most things here too.
    Metacam for mastitis, pnemonia and ones with very bad feet. Altho been given Loxicom from vets the other day

Hi Alamycin is a broad spectrum anti biototic containing oxytetricyline it will work on all bactira ,for foot rot long acting would be fine,for pneumonia i would not use long acting as it takes longer to get into the blood so would start with ordinary oxytetricyline then if you have it follow next day with long acting if you have it or give a 5 day course once a day. Penicillin is not broad spectrum and will not touch pneumonia. but will be fine for infected cuts or ewes that have had to helped with lambing. pen strep ie penicillin and steptomycin is broad spectrum and like oxytetricyline will work on all bactira

Pen&Strep is the only anti-biotic i keep on farm for lambing.

If i need something for pneumonia i usually get Ultrapen - its also good for lysteria and mastitis.

As for treating footrot, i do not inject when treating. Iv found trimming and spraying the hoof with any 'off the shelf' anti-bacterial spray is just as effective, and a damn sight cheaper. Although some sprays (Osmonds Bactakill) do work better as others (Trilanco purple spray).....
    If in doubt, yank it out!

The best antibiotic for lameness I've found, bar none, is Mycotil.

It is like a miracle cure. I've gone from scores with footrot and hundreds with scald, to just the odd one, which is easily controlled with a jag (so far anyway, provided the summers drier this year )

Unfortunately its Vet only administration

Interesting to read Draxin also works? Yes it's more expensive than alimycin la, but the latter is hardly effective. Factor in the extra number of times handling, the extra losses from lameness, and the cost of draxin will probably make sense (if it is as effective as Micotil?)

I've 1000 ewes, and one you get footrot under control, it'sa huge benefit to the flock, and relief to the yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    The best antibiotic for lameness I've found, bar none, is Mycotil.

It is like a miracle cure. I've gone from scores with footrot and hundreds with scald, to just the odd one, which is easily controlled with a jag (so far anyway, provided the summers drier this year )

Unfortunately its Vet only administration

Interesting to read Draxin also works? Yes it's more expensive than alimycin la, but the latter is hardly effective. Factor in the extra number of times handling, the extra losses from lameness, and the cost of draxin will probably make sense (if it is as effective as Micotil?)

I've 1000 ewes, and one you get footrot under control, it'sa huge benefit to the flock, and relief to the yourself!
    Agreed on effectiveness of Micotil. I tried Draxxin when Micotil became uneconomic to use, and found it good (for mastitis/feet/pneumonia) but not as good as Micotil. Next I tried Zactran, which I found better, but still behind Micotil. Currently using Zuprevo, which is the closest I have found to that Gold Standard drug. Of course, the price is frightening too, but timeliness of treatment with a single jab is worth it's weight, IMO.

Why is micotil vet only?

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter View Post
    Why is micotil vet only?
    Because 1 wrong move, accidentally injecting yourself, is fatal.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Or as my vet put it "we're allowed to kill ourselves accidentally but not give it to you to let you kill yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Can be fatal ! , happened once when an American accidentally injected himself with 10ml , I,m sure the nanny state has over reacted on this one , concidering how much was used previously around the world , If the user held a vet med ticket and was to be taught to restrain animals properly as part of getting the certificate , I don't see any more risk than letting the vet do it . Our vet told us it was the saviour of the sheep industry when it first came out , and it was to some degree , cured may tricky things with one hit . such a sad loss of an excellent line of defence due to paperwork and office whallas

Best treatment for lame ewes is Lead

Quote Originally Posted by le bon paysan View Post
    Best treatment for lame ewes is Lead
    Sounds a bit drastic. Particularly if on closer inspection she was lame bcause of a bit of dry hard mud between the cleats.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Sounds a bit drastic. Particularly if on closer inspection she was lame bcause of a bit of dry hard mud between the cleats.
    Should have been more specific- remove "lame ewes" replace with "sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by le bon paysan View Post
    Should have been more specific- remove "lame ewes" replace with "sheep"
    You seem to be developing a French sense of humour.

Ahh now, I worked on a livestock farm in Australia for a while.

Anything sick (sheep and cattle) were treated using a ".303“

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    Ahh now, I worked on a livestock farm in Australia for a while.

Anything sick (sheep and cattle) were treated using a ".303“

Wiremu, a New Zealander, was on the dole in Australia but about to fly home to watch the Rugby World Cup and was not feeling well, So he decided to see a doctor.

"Hey doc, I dun't feel so good, ey" said Wiremu.

The doctor gave him a thorough examination and informed Wiremu that he had long existing and advanced prostate problems and that the only cure was testicular removal.

"No way doc" replied Wiremu "I'm gitting a sicond opinion ey!"

The second Aussie doctor gave Wiremu the same diagnosis and also advised him that testicular removal was the only cure.

Not surprisingly, Wiremu refused the treatment.

Wiremu was devastated, but with the Rugby World Cup just around the corner he found an expat Kiwi doctor and decided to get one last opinion from someone he could trust.

The Kiwi doctor examined him and said: "Wiremu Cuzzy Bro, you huv Prostate suckness ey."

"What's the cure thin doc ?" asked Wiremu hoping for a different answer.

"Wull, Wiremu", said the Kiwi doctor "Wi're gonna huv to cut off your balls."

"Phew, thunk god for thut!" said Wiremu, "those Aussie bastards wanted to take my test tickets off me!"

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubbuster View Post
    Hi folks. I am new to sheep only started last year. What is the best antibiotic to keep for foot problems, after a bad lambing, prolapse, pneumonia etc. at the moment I have been using Norbrook Alymicin LA for lame ewes. Is this the right choice?
    I use Betamox LA for most things especially when I had equipment or hands in the ewe when assisting with lambing. And 10ml per 25kg of Zactran for foot rot.

Quote Originally Posted by HookyFarmer View Post
    I use Betamox LA for most things especially when I had equipment or hands in the ewe when assisting with lambing. And 10ml per 25kg of Zactran for foot rot.
    Arr that would do I'd say, we got rid of all our sheep last year ( good move I'd say)',,, do you remove offending hoof in cases of foot rot or leave it,, was a big topic round here over the last couple of years,, you were either a leave it or cut it back
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Zactran for lame & mastitis. She could loose her bag, but at least she's alive.

If the bag is cold when you find the mastitis, it will fall off. Don't use it or mycotil on very young lambs, they can cripple the lambs. Inject behind the ear, as any abscess will go in the bin at the abattoir.

Would really have thought that this is a question you should be asking your vet. Antibiotic effectiveness is not a universal standard.....many factors come into play.
    Quite surprised (not) to read suggestions of using some pretty high powered Antib's for routine problems lameness etc.
    Yes there are situations where this is the answer but surely they should not be the norm.
    Perhaps they have become the norm on a particular farm but..........