Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 forums won't work ........

2 forums won't work ........

This will be posted in the new forum as well but the reason the old BFF was so valuable was because of its content and the wealth of knowledge of the posters.

That forum went down the pan as eyes were taken off the ball and another was set up in its place which is working well and running off a much better platform. Its gained nearly 1000 members in about 4 days so doing well.

However a new BFF has now returned and gained 850 members in about 24 hours so its clear to see what's going to happen here in that BFF will overtake on the member numbers but can't deliver on the platform stakes.

Previously the old BFF was a powerful tool, but now the two forums are not at all. In fact type in farming forum in google there are a number of choices.

What we all need is a combined forum because that's where the knowledge is and not in multiple fragmented forums.

So Blue and Clive can we not amalgamate the two forums - maybe using the old BFF name on Clive new platform and can we get back the old content? Can it not be run together because the original idea was Blues and all that old content would only be there because of him. But Clive's new ideas are where the forum needs to go ........

At the moment within a month or two we will have two forums that are not half the value of the old one and not as well used. It happened with fwi and it will happen again.

Re: 2 forums won't work ........

Iv just rejoined and thanks for the super quick validation, I looked at the other site and its good but I'm staying loyal to the very hard work put in by the BFF administrators since I joined.

Good work guys, you did we'll setting up a new site so fast

It's a forum, the same as the other forums on the net. If you really think that a forum is such an essential part of how you run your life and business then I suggest you pack up and get a job flipping burgers in Macdonalds.

I agree with Dragline.

The admin team on this forum have proved themselves to be fair and competent over the years, also this forum is run for the benefit of the community, not to inflate the ego of the person running it, which i why i shall stick with this one, others may decide to do differently, that's up to them, but it's a free country and good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I agree with Dragline.

The admin team on this forum have proved themselves to be fair and competent over the years, also this forum is run for the benefit of the community, not to inflate the ego of the person running it, which i why i shall stick with this one, others may decide to do differently, that's up to them, but it's a free country and good luck to them.
    +1

Great idea Lee, but sadly ... farmers do what they want!
    DFOB was a good idea where everyone stuck together

Just had a look at the comments on the same thread on the other forum, they like theirs, we like ours, let it be.

[They also say this will be deleted over here, I bet it isn't.]

I can see both sides of this. Yes BFF has been a great source of amusement and littered with nuggets of knowledge,the 'other place' is clean and spangly and filled an obvious void. I agree that a one stop shop is beneficial and makes sense however it's a free market...... it would be nice to think that the grown ups got on better though. It only hurts the kids...

Lee, I see no problems with different forums. There are several other ag related ones out there and people can choose which they want to use. They are all a click away and different forums will attract and retain people with different personalities. A bit like supermarkets I suppose. I use Morrisons 90% of the time but do go to Lidl and even Tesco.

I have to admit i for one rather see just one forum running, as some members want one some the other I just want to log on look at one ask questions and help where i can.

In the words of the great Bob Paisley " experiance is is everything" .
    We will see how Clive deals with spamers ,Bullies that have been banned from this site and are probably active on THE forum and the Anti farming brigade that could flood the site with their bulls##t .
    IMO Blue has made a few mistakes but he has most thing right,most actions that go un noticed .
    All the best to Clive all the same .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    I have to admit i for one rather see just one forum running, as some members want one some the other I just want to log on look at one ask questions and help where i can.
    I must agree with Derky and Lee. Don t agree with or like the them and us attitude coming from the farming forum which is why I didn t join. However they do make some valid points. The BFF needed brought up to date and new members allowed to join. Merge them both, why not have a poll and let members decide. Must be the fairest way?

Quote Originally Posted by NQIT View Post
    Lee, I see no problems with different forums. There are several other ag related ones out there and people can choose which they want to use. They are all a click away and different forums will attract and retain people with different personalities. A bit like supermarkets I suppose. I use Morrisons 90% of the time but do go to Lidl and even Tesco.
    +1
    Forums are not in a competition. You wouldn't suggest having only one pub in a town, more like ask in one about any others. We need a sticky on here with links to other Ag forums not only in this country but worldwide.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go

There's nothing much to merge as yet.
    Join both, or make a choice as you see fit.

There always were several other farming forums which want to do things differently.

Like most posters on these forums I have not the vaguest notion of how they work, what they cost in time or money to run, or what revenue they generate.

My only interest was in the information, advise and "comradeship" they provided.

At the moment Clive's forum has a much better "user experience" but this one has the history and the back catalog - if it can be retrieved.

I am quite capable of following two forums, but one combined one would be a much stronger resource for everyone in farming.

Obviously it must be bloody annoying for people that have put time and money into running BFF to see the rapid success of TFF following their site's problems.

If there was a way of taking the best from both sites then the posters and followers would be the winners.

Posted in Lee's thread on both sites.

ill also have to agree with lee and would like to see the forums joined.i have really enjoyed the banter on bff and made alot of virtual friends and the knoledge shared and gained is invaluable.ill keep using both but i think clive has done an excellant job and it seems a good forum.only donside i can see is it will take me another 20/30 mins a day to look at both.the mods who ran the old bff have done a fantastic job and im sure it will happen again
    nick.........

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    There's nothing much to merge as yet.
    Join both, or make a choice as you see fit.

There always were several other farming forums which want to do things differently.
    Yes better to concentrate on making content than worrying about things us mere mortals cannot control, it will sort it'self, when the novelty wears off and farming content dominates, jmv anyway.
    Last edited by charlieboy; 17-02-13 at 11:52 AM. Reason: speeeeeeeeeeeelllllling

So there's now six farming forums, none of the others have had to merge. It all comes down to personal preference, you visit the one's you prefer. Blue has a wealth of knowledge in running a successful ship, as yet it remains to be seen how the new forum operates.

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    Same have seen it many times before in various other topics, when there is an interruption or forum competition it will go wrong. It is the mass of knowledge that brings it together.

The ONLY thing missing is the old content, if possible it really needs to be got back as threads that can be searched as well as posted in. Different look but it still feels like home here.

Have we got some sort of auto save on here? Keep getting a little thing flash up in the bottom corner.

Baird and Marconi
    Betamax and VHS.
    Minidisc and Compact Disc

Only one will survive.

You have to give credit to Clive, he saw a good business opportunity and pounced on it, dont worry, there will be plenty of advertising over on the new forum before long, nothing wrong with that either, its good business. Its all this Messiah stuff thats hard to stomach.
    I think if people dont want to use BFF anymore, thats their choice, go over to the new place and knock yourselves out, but coming on BFF basically saying you dont want it to exist is a bit much.
    After recent events surely having 2 forums is a good thing, if the new place ever gets hacked or goes down for a few days, at least BFF will be here, ready to give comfort to the lost sheep in their time of need. Maybe Blue can be the 'Savior' next time

Without getting bitchy about it, there have been some regular posters on BFF whose posts I have regarded as slightly less than valueless, and of course a great many more who were well worth reading. If some of the more tedious members like Clive's forum more than BFF, stay over there and help make it work, good say I.

Ideally one forum is easier. Most will choose the one that has the most activity (posts). I did look over to the FWI forum for a day, but a lot less activity than the old BFF.

If BFF want to consolidate, then best chance would be to find a way of pulling up the old knowledge base (old threads). I can't see that it would be rocket science, just some clever geek.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Baird and Marconi
    Betamax and VHS.
    Minidisc and Compact Disc

Only one will survive.
    Those all had to be bought.

Forums with free membership survive until either those running them get tired of it or receive no benefit from it. BFF was started by a breakaway group from FWi in, IIRC, 2006 and had to restart due to a crash in 2007.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go

Cool Re: 2 forums won't work ........

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    This will be posted in the new forum as well but the reason the old BFF was so valuable was because of its content and the wealth of knowledge of the posters.

That forum went down the pan as eyes were taken off the ball and another was set up in its place which is working well and running off a much better platform. Its gained nearly 1000 members in about 4 days so doing well.

However a new BFF has now returned and gained 850 members in about 24 hours so its clear to see what's going to happen here in that BFF will overtake on the member numbers but can't deliver on the platform stakes.

Previously the old BFF was a powerful tool, but now the two forums are not at all. In fact type in farming forum in google there are a number of choices.

What we all need is a combined forum because that's where the knowledge is and not in multiple fragmented forums.

So Blue and Clive can we not amalgamate the two forums - maybe using the old BFF name on Clive new platform and can we get back the old content? Can it not be run together because the original idea was Blues and all that old content would only be there because of him. But Clive's new ideas are where the forum needs to go ........

At the moment within a month or two we will have two forums that are not half the value of the old one and not as well used. It happened with fwi and it will happen again.

Hello lee, or should I say Ban Ki-Moon ?

Good though to see someone being diplomatic about it now at last.

Having to hear Batman & Robins "New-Labour spin doctor" style rhetoric all the time over there has backfired somewhat with quite a lot of feedback from people disagreeing with the continual back stabbing of BFF

It also provided the much needed catalyst required behind the scenes here, just when the seemingly insurmountable struggle with a new server and the DNS synchronising running to the end of its 12-72hrs "normal timeframe" had morale on the ropes and the white towel was nearly coming out, but with all the "spin doctoring" non-truths nagging away at ones morale conscience I for one and I think the others felt why should we and the members be treated like this, why should we and others be deceived.

It was good, it put "wind in our sails", it was just what I and the others needed. I even went to the dreaded facebook and made public a point or two while technically "unemployed & between jobs", free from the ties of moderating for once. And it was good, they didn't like it up 'em. It was removed PDQ. But at least it was there, or had been there long enough for some to copy it. So I personally had gone from looking forward to release from 8+ years of being tied to moderating and biting my tongue to being up for a fight, just because of what Clive and Jake keep spouting!

If they had behaved gentlemanly they would be in a very different position now. To their credit at least they had showed their hand from the start..........

Basically there are those who prefer the BFF style and those who like TFF, and other style forums, so there is a choice.

Regarding the argument about the old data, I personally have a lot of stuff that I put on there but not as important as some of the more Ag business type info. That info though is like a lot on the internet only as good while in date. If there have been advances or changes posted elsewhere but not added to the item you have searched and found then it is like a lot of stuff google finds, possibly out of date. This is where the argument to start again and do what forums are supposed to do, discuss things, make new up todate resources. It isn't difficult.

Finally, don't use any of the sites figures to gauge how successful here and there are doing, you need to see over the long term, usage figure are easy to manipulate, ghost accounts, dual or multiple accounts, I have been reliably informed that at the moment there is one former banned member of old BFF there talking to himself with at least 3 duplicate accounts as he does being a professional troll!! (Fame at last Sandy!!)

Lets just put it all behind us and get on with what each forum want to do. Let the members decide for themselves. Many will follow the carefully crafted google links being used to get the punters into their door, those that like it will use it, those that realise they don't can come here or any of the other forums and find what they are happy with.

Look at it this way,

The Farming Forum site is the flashy up to the minute supermarket type place doing all and everything

British Farming Forum is the older style retailer doing just specific Agricultural related stuff.

Simple

Footsfitter

EDIT

Can someone please copy this to Lees other thread over "there" as contrary to Batmans popular speculation I have no account there.......

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Robigus View Post

Obviously it must be bloody annoying for people that have put time and money into running BFF to see the rapid success of TFF following their site's problems.

Perhaps somewhat annoying to know the other site was ready to go before BFF was destroyed.

I agree and I prefer the layout of this one for some reason. I know the owners of the forum did wrong, but BFF has helped me out a great deal in the past and I would like to see it continue. It's a pain in the arse looking at 2 forums.
    sjhelliwell.co.uk howbrooktrailers.co.uk

Im not sure that i agree, i think 2 forums will work, infact i think they will have to as i cant see them ever being joined. At least now people who have been complaining how this site was run have a choice. I have joined both and will post on both as i see fit.

regarding the platform, i dont think there is anything wrong with this one, imho vbuilletin is one of the best out there. Some of the features that are on the other one, like 'who's online' could be turned on here if blue wanted, but thats his decision.

I think some people thought this site would only ever have 1 member after it restarted, but i think its obvious that its back and is going to be very popular.

time to move on.

One thing farmers are always short on, time! I ain't got time to flit from one to the other, two halves don't make one, it ain't good