Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 forums won't work ........

Dave Applesquasher

Re: 2 forums won't work ........

I'm surprised to hear claims that Clive's site has a better platform, because it hasn't.
    The forum itself is fine but the platform is quite horrid IMO. That's just it though isn't it, personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    I'm surprised to hear claims that Clive's site has a better platform, because it hasn't.
    The forum itself is fine but the platform is quite horrid IMO. That's just it though isn't it, personal opinion.
    I thought it was all a bit hairy too. He has done one for the DDers which seems much tidier.

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    One thing farmers are always short on, time! I ain't got time to flit from one to the other, two halves don't make one, it ain't good
    Derrick, given that your record suggests you post at 5 to 10 times the rate of most of us, claiming to be short of time doesn't exactly ring true. I'm not suggesting I object to your volume of posts - please carry on: lots of them are tosh, but a good sort of tosh.

Can't see the problem with 2 forums. The only problem with original BFF was biased moderation. Agree it is a difficult job but if it was such a burden for 8 years why are they so quick to take up the reigns again ? If the Ag related was stuck to for all not just mods mates that would be a step in the right direction as well.

Tff has done a good job with the new forum, Bff was a great forum. Lets go 'Back to the Future', have TFF and BFF in one forum, ( dont care what its called) everyones slate is wiped clean, old and new members making a fresh start together.

Ones mans tosh is another mans Rachel Welsh

Ones mans tosh is another mans Rachel Welsh
    There, that's exactly what I mean: Good tosh.

I didnt realise there was 'break-away' forums after what happened...... the searches i did come to this one, as does the old web adress, as does a link from another forum.

So this is THE ONE, isnt it?

I dont go round them all, only interested in the previous one and here now.

If theres some folk going to another site, good luck to them - hopefully itl be a way of sorting out the dross
    If in doubt, yank it out!

Like starting a new straw buisness you get all the ones no one else will have, thank god we never had a visit from Nuffield Nut

Like starting a new straw buisness you get all the ones no one else will have, thank god we never had a visit from Nuffield Nut
    Well it looks like your stuck with me then, dont it

...or am i stuck with you
    If in doubt, yank it out!

I am staying here.
    Blue and Footsfitter have been very dignified over the whole issue.
    Not been that keen on the whole kicking a man when he's down and tub thumping that's been going on with the owner and administrator on the new place.

Now, when for the first time it looks like it's not all going their own way they send Lee out with a peace offering

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Well it looks like your stuck with me then, dont it

...or am i stuck with you
    You a long way off up there, I stuppidy quote Bob Nutter for a load of hay I nearly fainted when I saw where he was

Not realising the background to this link I googled the farming forum and found what i assume must be the other forum I have to say that it is a complete rip off of this forum I have no axe to grind with anyone and i don't know the operators of either forum.
    However I Would have thought that if your where to go and set up a new forum it would have been because you had a wish to do things differently and that would have at least started with the layout and titles but they are 99% the same as what was here pre crash.
    i understand that there are some differences with moderation , email address for joining and so on but I think and only based on from what I can see it looks a little, in fact no allot underhand. The link to it even made out like its was this forum "we have moved" etc.
    this forum seems to have re gained almost 1000 members since Friday that shows there is demand for it and the content is coming along nicely, I can see Merritt in the two combining especially when they look so similar there could genuinely be some I'd issues in the future between the two sites, but having looked at the site and seen how it's ripped of his one so completely i don't think I can agree with the morals of the new sites founders !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Not realising the background to this link I googled the farming forum and found what i assume must be the other forum I have to say that it is a complete rip off of this forum I have no axe to grind with anyone and i don't know the operators of either forum.
    However I Would have thought that if your where to go and set up a new forum it would have been because you had a wish to do things differently and that would have at least started with the layout and titles but they are 99% the same as what was here pre crash.
    i understand that there are some differences with moderation , email address for joining and so on but I think and only based on from what I can see it looks a little, in fact no allot underhand. The link to it even made out like its was this forum "we have moved" etc.
    this forum seems to have re gained almost 1000 members since Friday that shows there is demand for it and the content is coming along nicely, I can see Merritt in the two combining especially when they look so similar there could genuinely be some I'd issues in the future between the two sites, but having looked at the site and seen how it's ripped of his one so completely i don't think I can agree with the morals of the new sites founders !!!!
    Thank you for pointing that out, I was about to add the following to my reply earlier-

Trying earlier to see what this new BFF site looked like on my Blackberry phone, I had to google it as I rarely use the 9700 to view the WWW because of its small screen, interestingly the top result comes comes back as an advert claiming to be "British Farming Forum" but is actually a link directly to The Farming Forum!

It only seemed to come up on my BB though.

Bad Form!

ff

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Exactly Big red, it's one thing to start another forum if you don't agree with how this one was run, but some might say that starting a carbon copy of this forum and waiting until this site was down with technical difficulties to do it was just a tad underhand. All's fair in love and war however, and if people want to post there, or here, or both, it's up to them.

Though purely IMO, i think how the forum was set up tells you all you need to know about the people running it, if people are ok with that, then that's up to them.

This forum has always been run for the benefit of the members, apart from adverts to cover the running costs, blue has never tried to make money out of us, despite the fact that having so many farmers in one group gives you a certain level of influence, say you set up a forum buying group, with a couple of thousand members you'd have huge bargaining power.

Whatever faults BFF may or may not have had, it was run for the members, the other place will be run for the benefit of its owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out, I was about to add the following to my reply earlier-

Trying earlier to see what this new BFF site looked like on my Blackberry phone, I had to google it as I rarely use the 9700 to view the WWW because of its small screen, interestingly the top result comes comes back as an advert claiming to be "British Farming Forum" but is actually a link directly to The Farming Forum!

Bad Form!

ff

I was going to say that was well but now this place is running it's pushed them off the top result. If you googled 'british farming forum' while this place was down, the top result said something like 'British farming forum, were back and better than ever! but when you clicked on the link it took you to the clive's forum.

What benefits will Clive get?

No axe to grind or anything here - just wondering!

Half me mates are in the pub across the road the landlords don't get on and I keep spilling my beer crossing the road to hear both conversations so no it won't F'ing work and which pub is Bob drinking in as I can't find him in either

A forum buying group would be an obvious one, there are other possibilities.

Anyway, perhaps I'm wrong and his motives are entirely altruistic. It just appears to me that he is attempting a coup. If he was concerned with maintaining the community in one place, he could simply turn his forum off and everyone would come back here, this place was here first after all, but no, he'd like everyone to be in the one forum, his.

I thought it was only fair to get Cloves point of view across. He appears to be getting a bit of a bashing over here.
    I'm jot interested in the ins and outs - would just like the situation sorting.
    It's turning into child's play!

This is Clives post on the same thread on the other forum:

I'm not going to comment too much of this as I don't want a fight or slanging match - they are not productive

All I will say is I have emailed Blue basically saying what has been pointed out here and made him an offer - I did have a short reply just saying that he did not think I was the hacker and there was no hard feeling on his part

Bugger it I may as well post what I sent here so all is transparent !

Hi Kevin

I am really very sorry to see what has happened to BFF over this last week. As you know I was there from the start and one of the forums biggest posters. The site has become a valuable resource and an often vital independent link for the rural community.

I felt I had little choice but to offer an alternative this week, facebook, twiter etc was full of ‘lost sheep’ and no-one even knew if you were able to or even minded to get BFF back online, there seemed to be no communication from your or your moderators to let members know what was going on

I’m sure you don’t think it for a moment but I know there are those that do, I am not a hacker ! I am just a farmer who knows a bit about websites not unlike yourself. I don’t like the accusation that I was involved in anyway whatsoever in the demise of BFF so I would appreciate that you moderate any potential libellous suggestion that I am involved in such a way on your new forum – thanks

If you have any back-ups at all of the old BFF I believe with help I can probably get the old content back for you – I offered to help with this when BFF first went offline but I have not had a response from you ?

Now your back there is a obvious issue – my forum has gained a lot of popularity very quickly, feedback is good, people like it and the additional features it offers and especially the ability to register which was clearly a big problem for many others and BFF in the past. The last thing anyone wants is a split in this community.

To get BFF back to even close to where it was before all this you have a lot of work ahead, please ensure it is safe this time, I have tried to tell you many times that it would all be lost one day, maybe you believe me on this now ?

Rather than split a community I would be willing to buy BFF from you and combine it all into one fantastic independent forum for the farming and rural community. Whatever is left I’m sure I can do something useful with it. I plan to add a lot more to my forum , interactive classified section, live price trackers etc. It’s what members of BFF have been wanting for a long time now and I’m happy to try and provide that for them

You may choose not to reply to this but at least, again, I have tried.

I have had no response to that yet.................. Maybe if some of you guys suggested it might be a good idea ? Perhaps someone might post that email on BFF so everyone there can see I have been trying to do the right thing with all this ?

B and B Pig Man, yes you have an axe to grind, are you not a mod over there?

Funny really, you are over here complaining that St Clive is getting a bashing, I didnt see you complaing when Blue and BFF were being ripped to shreds by Clive and others over there.

I am a mod yes - mainly so that things remain on topic and no bashing goes on!

I love being on bff and hope to stay a very much active member!

The way I see it is that the more of us who are members of a forum other better. I love the wide knowledge base, and have learnt so much from bff in the past - and I'm sure I will learn even more!

I just think it's time to get past all this nonsense of forum bashing each other!

Can't we all just get on?!

I think it's time to close this thread.
    I don't see any advantage in raking over these issues.

Onwards and upwards?