Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Deere Direct Drive Gearbox

wold-topper

John Deere Direct Drive Gearbox

I know this was discussed on here months ago but wondered if there was any more news?

Are a few of these tractors getting out to the end user now and how are you getting on with them?

Run a car with this style box and find it very good and thought this might be a half way house between powershift and CVT

Thanks

guymondo

Re: John Deere Direct Drive Gearbox

had a go on a pre production tractor at langar, could be a bit jumpy at times on auto mode as it is furiously trying to find the right gear. But under load i think it would be smoother, it would be really good on top and transport work. Decided to go for autopower as its only a grand more.

Gerbert

I think that about sums it up.
    Great idea but stupid money.
    Now that JD seems to have there cvt's on track it seems stupid.

Blue Max

That rather misses the point! CVTs are very inefficient because they utilize hydraulic drive, wheras the Direct gearbox doesn't. Unless you really need a CVT you'd be better off with a more efficient mechanical gearbox like the Direct one.

Tullyvernon

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post
    That rather misses the point! CVTs are very inefficient because they utilize hydraulic drive, wheras the Direct gearbox doesn't. Unless you really need a CVT you'd be better off with a more efficient mechanical gearbox like the Direct one.
    Exactly

Local dealer said they should have a demo tractor with that gearbox in the new year, so will get a go then.

fergie35

Spot on. CVT is no good for haulage way to inefficient on hills IMO.

anpoterrier

at end of day make your own choice cvt you only slow down minimum no mater what type gears you still have to drop 1 at least at end of day is is acres pr litre ,got 2 identical tractors exept for drive 1 covers more grond per litre and you don't notice any difference on haulige is same story,was same with tractors when running at low revs soon droped to a lower gear on a hill.

Toptiff

Quote Originally Posted by anpoterrier View Post
    at end of day make your own choice cvt you only slow down minimum no mater what type gears you still have to drop 1 at least at end of day is is acres pr litre ,got 2 identical tractors exept for drive 1 covers more grond per litre and you don't notice any difference on haulige is same story,was same with tractors when running at low revs soon droped to a lower gear on a hill.
    So your point is?

anpoterrier

you still have gears and could be wrong less than a power quad ours has 24 thought they where 20 or 21 ,with autopower plough at least 5 acres a day more on same diesel up and down hill.was wrong is 24 gears.

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by fergie35 View Post
    I thought the idea was CVT was more efficient.

guymondo

plan to do a fair bit of hedge cutting, so direct drive would be a bit fast for that job.

Spud

The biggest influence on fuel use is the man in charge of the loud pedal. Having driven a 7480 MF for nigh on 8000 hrs, I find it unnecessary to be revving flat out on the road, in any tractor. Half a day on a 6530 auto quad had me thinking we were still in the 90's!

cp

I test drove a 6210 DD in gremany last Feb
    and its a sweat transmission
    Cultivations and transport thats what i would have
    3 ranges 8 speeds
    and you can drive it like a autopower
    and i'm waiting on our's

fergie35

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    I thought the idea was CVT was more efficient.
    Lets put it this way, a 300hp 10ton tractor with cvt was being outdone constantly up the same hill with the same empty traailer on it by a mechanical semi power shift tractor of 170hp weighting just shy of 8tons with ballast.

We've seen it time and time again over the years with the two, the CVT just seams to sap all power going up hills, but don't get me wrong I'd want the CVT every time, far nicer gearbox, but efficient at transport they are not. But very good on a plough or forager/baler

Blue Max

It isn't just hills! That's just a load on the tractor. In ant situation where you are putting a lot of drive through the hydraulic side of the gearbox a CVT will be fighting against poor efficiency and power sapping slippage. They're only more efficient in low load situations where they can gear up and throttle back.

Agrotron150.7

we run 3 6930's and had a 4th on hire for 1st cut this year, all had near enough identical trailers and 3 were averageing between 23-27 mph up a hill empty whereas one was flying up at 33mph and you have guessed it-it was the hire autopower that was way ahead! so dont tell me they arnt any good on hills

james d geoghegan

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotron150.7 View Post
    we run 3 6930's and had a 4th on hire for 1st cut this year, all had near enough identical trailers and 3 were averageing between 23-27 mph up a hill empty whereas one was flying up at 33mph and you have guessed it-it was the hire autopower that was way ahead! so dont tell me they arnt any good on hills
    maybe the hired tractor was turned up.

Blue Max

Or just a good-un! Some occasionally do have way more power than thay should!

Agrotron150.7

either way it embarresed our 3 and when you drove it-it felt like a 6930 should and that it was pulling 180 on boost like it should whereas ours just dont seem to go that well, to the extent that one gets nicknamed a 63!

drumachie1

So has anyone got one yet? Ours is on order but won't be here till feb

Niels

The Direct Drive transmission is a nice bit of marketing technique from John Deere . From what I have seen it differs little from some other manufacturers 'auto shift' transmissions, only JD introduce it as a revolution. The double clutch is new though, I won't deny that. But calling it a mechanical CVT stretches a bit to much for my liking.

anpoterrier

Lets put it this way, a 300hp 10ton tractor with cvt was being outdone constantly up the same hill with the same empty traailer on it by a mechanical semi power shift tractor of 170hp weighting just shy of 8tons with ballast.

We've seen it time and time again over the years with the two, the CVT just seams to sap all power going up hills, but don't get me wrong I'd want the CVT every time, far nicer gearbox, but efficient at transport they are not. But very good on a plough or forager/baler
    take it extra 2 ton and bigger tyres have nothing to do with it ,was same with mx 135 and 150 and 6480 and 6490 takes power to move weight.

Tullyvernon

Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    The Direct Drive transmission is a nice bit of marketing technique from John Deere . From what I have seen it differs little from some other manufacturers 'auto shift' transmissions, only JD introduce it as a revolution. The double clutch is new though, I won't deny that. But calling it a mechanical CVT stretches a bit to much for my liking.
    Is that not the whole point

The fact that the double clutch design is more efficient compared to other similar transmissions.

drumachie1

Hope so had an auto power before and it loved the juice compared to the auto quad meant to be the same gearbox but with a double clutch dsg springs to mind

darrendee09

Quote Originally Posted by anpoterrier View Post
    take it extra 2 ton and bigger tyres have nothing to do with it ,was same with mx 135 and 150 and 6480 and 6490 takes power to move weight.
    yes but shouldnt the extra 130hp cover that extra 2 ton and then some

anpoterrier

Quote Originally Posted by darrendee09 View Post
    yes but shouldnt the extra 130hp cover that extra 2 ton and then some
    never seams to do when you put a trailer on for some reason.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    It is a semi-powershift. How they implement the shift is different to others, but they are all different from each other.

They get away with outrageous marketing, it has to be said. Thing is, it works. The image conjured, sticks. But one company doing this is enough. More and I would puke.

oldtractorman

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    Is that not the whole point

The fact that the double clutch design is more efficient compared to other similar transmissions.
    Double clutch technology is not new in a tractor. It's used to obtain the range changes in a NH T7 CVT. Best of both worlds?

drumachie1

Smile Re: John Deere Direct Drive Gearbox

But does anyone have one yet?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by drumachie1 View Post
    But does anyone have one yet?
    If any have been delivered, they will be as rare as hen's teeth so far. You are in the right place for early news though.