Thread: Connect topcon x30 to JD Brownbox ?

Clive

Connect topcon x30 to JD Brownbox ?

Anyone done it or know if its possible ?

Have had a bit of EC scanning done this year as a look see and have created vra seed rate map from it so wondering how I can simply send the rate info from x30 to the jd Brownbox that is controlling the drill

cp

Re: Connect topcon x30 to JD Brownbox ?

how about creating the the plan in a greenstar format
    use field doc connect on the Greenstar dispaly to do VR
    but im not sure whether this will control the drill rate

Rob

Not sure it's possible unless its an ISO drill, even then im doubtfull
    It's a JD drill I take it. Might be worth calling Nathan in the morning as if he can't make it work, no one can! Including CP!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Not sure it's possible unless its an ISO drill, even then im doubtfull
    It's a JD drill I take it. Might be worth calling Nathan in the morning as if he can't make it work, no one can! Including CP!
    It is iso - JD drill

cp

Must amit this may beat me

Rob

Me too as its not just a case of getting wires right but having software written etc......
    Might be easier to let screen show the desired rate and to adjust accordingly by the operator as he is only a passenger while the machine is being auto steered! Or auto floated!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by cp View Post
    how about creating the the plan in a greenstar format
    use field doc connect on the Greenstar dispaly to do VR
    but im not sure whether this will control the drill rate
    Can the brownbox do this or just newer JD boxes ? I have field doc on the brown box so would just need the gatekeeper JD licence to write a plan out to it I guess possibly ?

Would also need to run a our a star fire receiver connected to the Brownbox just for location of seed rate changes as drill tractor is steered by topcon on the rtk

Want to do it cheap as I'm not 100% convinced of vra seed rates so just experimentation for now on a few fields

cp

clive we can use the topcon signal for position for VR

If you have field doc connect you can rigth the plan and send it to original GS

I just need to work out how to get the drill to do it

Not sure your drill is ISO as the brown box is not

whats teh model of the drill pls

Clive

clive we can use the topcon signal for position for VR

If you have field doc connect you can rigth the plan and send it to original GS

I just need to work out how to get the drill to do it

Not sure your drill is ISO as the brown box is not

whats teh model of the drill pls
    drill is a 2002 750a (greenstar) it uses a LH job computer, although the brownbox is not ISO it knows when the drill is connected if that makes sense ?

Blue Max

The drill is neither ISO nor capable of variable rate.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post
    The drill is neither ISO nor capable of variable rate.
    Even if its not the x30 is and can surely ?

Not sure your right saying the Brownbox can't do vra - that's surely what field doc connect is for no as cp suggests ?

Blue Max

The drill can't do vra - nothing to do with the brown box, which is quite capable with the right machine.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post
    The drill can't do vra - nothing to do with the brown box, which is quite capable with the right machine.
    Why not ? You can plus or minus seed rate from the box on the move so why can't something (either x30 or field doc connect) tell it to do that ?

It is a Greenstar drill not an accord unit

Blue Max

Absolutely, you can adjust he seed rate manually on the go, but here is no facility built in to allow a seed rate to be sent to the drill electronically on the go. It can't do it! An ISO version could, but not GreenStar. I had quite some dealings with one a few years ago when I worked on a farm near Stamford, including helping the Langar Greenstar expert fit a completely new system to our drill - which at least got it working manually

Agritech_Gizmo

*sigh*

seeing an awful lot of buy now think later recently.

All ways check the advice and what the unit can do not what 'is coming in the next update'

Its a real shame as it just puts people off Precision Ag

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Agritech_Gizmo View Post
    *sigh*

seeing an awful lot of buy now think later recently.

All ways check the advice and what the unit can do not what 'is coming in the next update'

Its a real shame as it just puts people off Precision Ag
    Not sure I had a choice when buying a 10 year old drill ! Not fussed if it can't be done but just had the thought that if it could I would give it a try

Agritech_Gizmo

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Not sure I had a choice when buying a 10 year old drill ! Not fussed if it can't be done but just had the thought that if it could I would give it a try
    So you created a load of VRA seed maps based on conductivity on the off chance it would work with a 10 year old drill ?....you have far too much spare time Clive :P

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Agritech_Gizmo View Post
    So you created a load of VRA seed maps based on conductivity on the off chance it would work with a 10 year old drill ?....you have far too much spare time Clive :P
    No I had a couple of fields EC scanned as it was offered for small change as a bit of a trial and I though it might be interesting which looking at the maps it certainly is

I then made a vra seed rate map in about 5mins using gatekeeper, hardly difficult or time consuming even though plenty that charge for such a service would like you to think it was ! I like to know how to do these things myself so 5 mins spent learning is never a waste

I will most probably have the ability to carry out the plan next year, just though if there was a simple way to use what we have I might just try it sooner. This old drill has field doc connect licences on the Brownbox so I had half an idea that could do vra, not sure what its point actually is if it can't ??? But no worries if it won't, I certainly didn't buy it paying more because I wanted to do vra with it , I bought it because it was good at putting seed in the ground and was the right price !

Not convinced there is any advantage o vra seed rate anyway but always willing to try before dismissing it

Brisel

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Not convinced there is any advantage o vra seed rate anyway but always willing to try before dismissing it
    Do you do VRA nitrogen? How about managing your canopy before spring with seed rates?

My trial area of VRA seed still had 50% variance in yield at harvest, plus slightly lower overall yield than the standard flat rate control field next door.

Will try again next year - the principle is sound enough but the hardware doesn't always play ball. Did all mine at flat rate this time as file woudn't load into Greenstar & 2630 screen kept losing the Vaderstad LH Agro box connection. Oddly enough there was no helpline at 11.30pm on a Saturday night when I pulled into the field to do the VRA drilling!

My X20 for my Chafer sprayer gets a raw GPS signal from my SF3000 receiver ok but needs careful setting up for matching Baud rate, GGA etc.

Clive

I am secptical as I say but thought a trail on a couple of fields would be worth a try

It has zoned the soils quite well so the EC scan certainly works and has mapped different types soils accurately

cp

I've had a crazy idea clive how to make it work
    Can you give me a call tomorrow

Clive

I've had a crazy idea clive how to make it work
    Can you give me a call tomorrow
    Sounds interesting ! Will give you a call but will be latter in the day tomorrow if that's ok