Thread: Oats & Peas

155tm

Oats & Peas

This season has seen the rule book thrown out of the window, so with that in mind what do the esteemed forum members think of taking a mixture of spring oats and spring peas to harvest?

On paper you could argue a synergistic use of N, reduced fungicide and insecticide need, and enhanced soil biology for the following crop because of the diversity of two crops. Which chemicals to use would keep the agronomist on his toes, and you would need a tidy grain cleaner to separate the two grains for sale.

Discuss, please!

Kentish_Andy

Re: Oats & Peas

Quote Originally Posted by 155tm View Post
    This season has seen the rule book thrown out of the window, so with that in mind what do the esteemed forum members think of taking a mixture of spring oats and spring peas to harvest?

On paper you could argue a synergistic use of N, reduced fungicide and insecticide need, and enhanced soil biology for the following crop because of the diversity of two crops. Which chemicals to use would keep the agronomist on his toes, and you would need a tidy grain cleaner to separate the two grains for sale.

Discuss, please!
    Ask Frederic tomorrow. You give it a go and I will watch.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    Ask Frederic tomorrow. You give it a go and I will watch.
    Don't turn up a day early ! Pretty sure that's on the 28th ?

155tm

Hello Andy I'l tease Frederic, and then you can tease me later when I try it!

Clive I guess Frederic is in the country for a few meetings, there is a 'secret' one down in Kent tomorrow that I managed to find out about!!

It is daft left field stuff like this that needs a bit of HGCA research funding, the difference between two types of strobilurin should be left to the chem companies to prove.

Kentish_Andy

On a more serious note, not sure what weed control option you would have, if any so maybe adding a lo growing clover to the mix to help suppress weeds. Also I would be a little worried the oats would smother the peas as they grow like stink. You would have to get your seed rates spot on.

FarmerDan

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    On a more serious note, not sure what weed control option you would have, if any so maybe adding a lo growing clover to the mix to help suppress weeds. Also I would be a little worried the oats would smother the peas as they grow like stink. You would have to get your seed rates spot on.
    http://www.combicrop.com/faq.html

Perhaps talk to these guys. They have a mix that includes peas and oats. They might be able to advise on agronomy / seed rates etc.

Very interesting concept.

shakerator

think i read somewhere the a traditional pea variety is less likely to flatten it all?

i think spring rape and peas would be better as they trellis up the rape

alwaysraining

I have grown oats and peas as a silage crop, grows well.
    The peas use the oats to 'climb up' and I think if taken to harvest would be more upright, if the whole lot did not go flat as oats can. Not sure what ag chems you could use. Not sure if you could use growth regs etc

kwb

We used to grow oats and peas together in the 50s from what I remember seed rates were 6st of oats and 4st of peas per acre I cant remember what chemicals were used but the straw was very good fodder for the sheep.

Badshot

Won't you smash the peas to bits thrashing the oats, never grown oats so I don't know how hard they are to thrash. Also assuming that as a cleaner was mentioned it's going to be combined not baled/foraged.

155tm

Hmm.

Looks like we will have to have a go at this then! plenty of spring cropping land to go at!

I don't think we will smash up the oats in the combine, never seem to paste volunteer wheat in beans! It is nice to know that others have done similar in the past. Combicrop is interesting, although they intend the mix to be fed as is rather than separating the two grains for sale.

b slicker

From personal experience, I would risk spraying with MCPA. Or, if it still exists, MCPA + MCPB.

Do you have the facility and enthusiasm to do a third of the field oats, a third peas, and a third peas+oats?

Courier

I prefer rice & peas myself

Gilchro

Have seen it in organic situation. Works very well and helps the protein when it comes to feeding back to stock.
    Not sure as to conventional wisdom though

Bog Man

I have being growing Combicrop Barley Pea Mix for the last three years and it has yielded between two to two and a half tonnes to the acre and has had a protein content of 14% or 15% . This year one of the fields suffered badly from the wet wether with the barley getting scalded but the other two fields yielded about 2.25 tonnes ?acre .
    This year I tried seven acres of their Oat Pea mix as a spring sown crop and I used 30 units of nitrogen. It got a fungicide but no shorten er or weed control . The field and weather conditions did not suit peas with peas generally not yielding well this year . When I combine harvested the crop there was very few peas in the sample so I just delivered it to the mill that took the rest of our oats . I weighed in and he sucked up the sample and waved me on . When I tipped my load and weighed out and went into the office to collect the paperwork he showed me the sample and it had busheled 57Kg/Hl . It yielded a bit along with 2tonne per acre .

I grow combicrop in a few small fields that are awkward to spray and it also makes life interesting . I am not an Organic Farmer and I have a substantial chemical and fertilizer bill on the rest of my crops .

martian

There's a fellow from Manitoba in the December issue of No-Till Farmer who is experimenting with OSR/pea mix and also a lentil/flax combination. He reckons on saving money on seed and fertiliser as well as getting 25-40% more production per acre than either crop grown separately. He says peas grow well in the shade of the rape and both ripen at the same time, they are easily separated post harvest with a rotary screener.

Conditions are different over there perhaps, snow lies on the ground for 6 months of the year and the growing season is short but intense. Spring OSR (normally roundup ready) would always be preferable to winter (though six months snow cover would help keep the pigeons off...)

Bog Man

Weed control can be a challenge I had one small field that had spring barley peas and volunteer spring rape that was not controlled by the Stomp Aqua. I harvested the whole lot and I presume the rape added to the feeding value .The neighbours thought it was a dodgy spring rape crop.
    Harvesting has never been a problem and green peas seem to ripen in the pile while waiting to go into the dryer. I have never had to use a fungicide on any of the crop mixes I have grown and it makes you wonder where we have gone wrong with our conventional crops .
    If I grow Peas I have mildew and when I grow barley i have Ryncho but mix the two together and I do not have either disease

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by Bog Man View Post
    If I grow Peas I have mildew and when I grow barley i have Ryncho but mix the two together and I do not have either disease
    Frederic Thomas was talking about the companion cropping with OSR, how the mixture of plants in a field confuse insects that fly into the field attracted to the brassica smell, land on a plant and taste vetch...

Some of the arguments for a mixture of plant types in a cover crop surely apply to cash crops too. If you can either use the resultant mixture, mill and mix on farm? or separate the two grains for sale, then you can take advantage of the reduced pest and disease pressure through diversity in the crop, etc

OSR doesn't support the rhizobium bacteria in the soil, will partnering it with another crop either give the OSR the benefit of rhizobium surviving within its rooting zone or maintain the rhizobum for the benefit of the following crop.

sedge

We grow Oats and peas for whole crop which we sell on and last year it was the best crop on the farm it was meant to go in to wheat but things got swapped round and now is in OSR it gives us an early entry in to fields .

York

Frederic Thomas was talking about the companion cropping with OSR, how the mixture of plants in a field confuse insects that fly into the field attracted to the brassica smell, land on a plant and taste vetch...

Some of the arguments for a mixture of plant types in a cover crop surely apply to cash crops too. If you can either use the resultant mixture, mill and mix on farm? or separate the two grains for sale, then you can take advantage of the reduced pest and disease pressure through diversity in the crop, etc

OSR doesn't support the rhizobium bacteria in the soil, will partnering it with another crop either give the OSR the benefit of rhizobium surviving within its rooting zone or maintain the rhizobum for the benefit of the following crop.
    Now, I don't know if this is the right technical term, might be more accurate with Mycorysa (spelling?).
    What it is about is that the previous crop should "prepare" the soil life for the next main crop and you are right, OSR doesn't inteact with Mycorysa(?) so they are quite dormant in a clean OSR crop.
    It's very benefitial to do a little research in this topic of what soil life is supplieing to our crops and how they can benefit of them, especialy the mycorysa(?). They are not only supplied with stuff like antibiotics but also water, nutrients and even N. there are researchers which say that over 80% of the N uptake of a wheat is gone through Mycorysa first and that over 70% of the applied N isn't taken up directly but via mycorysa.
    Jill Clapperton did present some stunning connections when she visited us in June this year.
    York-Th.

155tm

Quote Originally Posted by York View Post
    Now, I don't know if this is the right technical term, might be more accurate with Mycorysa (spelling?).
    What it is about is that the previous crop should "prepare" the soil life for the next main crop and you are right, OSR doesn't inteact with Mycorysa(?) so they are quite dormant in a clean OSR crop.
    It's very benefitial to do a little research in this topic of what soil life is supplieing to our crops and how they can benefit of them, especialy the mycorysa(?). They are not only supplied with stuff like antibiotics but also water, nutrients and even N. there are researchers which say that over 80% of the N uptake of a wheat is gone through Mycorysa first and that over 70% of the applied N isn't taken up directly but via mycorysa.
    Jill Clapperton did present some stunning connections when she visited us in June this year.
    York-Th.
    York it is Mycorrhizae bacteria, you are right and I was tired!

Rhizobium is of course to be found in the root nodules of legumes fixing N.

Apologies, will put myself to bed immediately.

Kentish_Andy

York it is Mycorrhizae bacteria, you are right and I was tired!

Rhizobium is of course to be found in the root nodules of legumes fixing N.

Apologies, will put myself to bed immediately.
    Mycorrhizae are fungi!

155tm

Still tired!