Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MF 500 Drill V MF 30 Drill

Pedders

MF 500 Drill V MF 30 Drill

just wondering what the differences are between the MF500 and the MF30 Drill ?
    is one better than the other ?

uztrac

Re: MF 500 Drill V MF 30 Drill

An MF 30 drill fitted with disc coulters was a magic piece of kit,in its day. Soldall over the world,and still fully operational in many territories.

Rob Holmes

Isn't the 500 a later version of the 30?

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    Isn't the 500 a later version of the 30?
    Yes it is, and it's a better version too. I'm running a 3m 500 at the moment after a 2.something 30 and I would not go back. Basic differences as follows and are lifted from a previous thread that I answered:

The differences are subtle but it appears they listened to users when designing it as they are all steps forward. The seed box for example has a better internal design, in the 30 there is an agitator bar which we needed to install the R clips in when drilling oats to avoid bridging. The 500 doesn't have an agitator bar at all and is better for it, seed flow is very consistent with no bridging by oats.

Getting to the discs to change bearings etc seems a little easier although it's still a bugger of a job and this is where the biggest change in spares is. The hubs on the 500 are a slightly different size to the 30 meaning the bearings, seals, hubs and discs are all different parts despite looking frustratingly similar.

The drag arm design seems better with less wear occurring in the bush at the front where they mount to the drill frame.

The seed rate mechanism seems a little easier to get close to the target seed rate, this may be down to wear in the 30 we ran though rather than an improvement.

The mechanical tramlining kit is very good, we had an electric bettison box on the 30 but I assume they did a mechanical version for that too?

It's a few years since we ran a 30, nothing really wrong with it apart from it was getting quite tired but as I said previously I definitely prefer the 500. If you decide to move to a 500 check that you can source spares, when we first got ours the local MF dealers had only recently changed and the new ones had no knowledge of the 500 existing, never mind a parts book for it. I've a feeling it was made by one of the European cultivations companies (can't remember which one, will see if I can find which one) so spares are available through their agents.

The question of who made it was answered elsewhere I think but we have discovered we can source most bits through Browns. They are expensive though and bearings, seals etc are available from bearingboys a lot cheaper. New hubs are around 65 a piece (the shoulder that retains the cover disc on the bearing wears making bearing failures quite common on the back discs) so we are now rebuilding the hubs with weld then turning them down to reduce the problem. Any questions you have feel free to ask, and if you spot a tidy 4m one buy it quickly as I'd love to get hold of one!

john63

Quote Originally Posted by uztrac View Post
    An MF 30 drill fitted with disc coulters was a magic piece of kit,in its day. Soldall over the world,and still fully operational in many territories.
    Well we still do all of our drilling (except oats and peas) with a 70s MF30, sometimes with zigzag harrows behind. It does a good job like.

foxbox

I hadn't realised they also built a direct drill version but here is a 130

JohnDeere8530

my old man had one he bought new in the mid 70s a 2.4m or something ?

We used it until the late 80s then went the combination way and now of course the Vaddy route.

He still harps on to this very day how much better the MF30 was than a combi or vaddy setup.. Gets my goat having to listen to it in 2012 !!

In fact have spare bar with the metering cups things on it still if anyone wants it. Brand new sitting on beam for past 30yrs

foxbox

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post

He still harps on to this very day how much better the MF30 was than a combi or vaddy setup.. Gets my goat having to listen to it in 2012 !!
    Around here there are plenty of Vaddy drills parked up, the 30 and 500's have been flying about like it's the 70's again! Just be glad your neighbour hasn't run one this year or you'd get even more grief...

Cab-over Pete

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    I hadn't realised they also built a direct drill version but here is a 130
    Blimey!!! I've got a 130 in better order than that.............I only paid 100 for it!!!

It makes a grand job of direct reseeding.

candor

If anybody is interested in an owners manual for a mf30, I have one in perfect condition.

chris696

Smile Re: MF 500 Drill V MF 30 Drill

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    If anybody is interested in an owners manual for a mf30, I have one in perfect condition.
    If anybody is interested in a mf30, I have one.
    not moved since 1989

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    Yes it is, and it's a better version too. I'm running a 3m 500 at the moment after a 2.something 30 and I would not go back. Basic differences as follows and are lifted from a previous thread that I answered:

The differences are subtle but it appears they listened to users when designing it as they are all steps forward. The seed box for example has a better internal design, in the 30 there is an agitator bar which we needed to install the R clips in when drilling oats to avoid bridging. The 500 doesn't have an agitator bar at all and is better for it, seed flow is very consistent with no bridging by oats.

Getting to the discs to change bearings etc seems a little easier although it's still a bugger of a job and this is where the biggest change in spares is. The hubs on the 500 are a slightly different size to the 30 meaning the bearings, seals, hubs and discs are all different parts despite looking frustratingly similar.

The drag arm design seems better with less wear occurring in the bush at the front where they mount to the drill frame.

The seed rate mechanism seems a little easier to get close to the target seed rate, this may be down to wear in the 30 we ran though rather than an improvement.

The mechanical tramlining kit is very good, we had an electric bettison box on the 30 but I assume they did a mechanical version for that too?

It's a few years since we ran a 30, nothing really wrong with it apart from it was getting quite tired but as I said previously I definitely prefer the 500. If you decide to move to a 500 check that you can source spares, when we first got ours the local MF dealers had only recently changed and the new ones had no knowledge of the 500 existing, never mind a parts book for it. I've a feeling it was made by one of the European cultivations companies (can't remember which one, will see if I can find which one) so spares are available through their agents.

The question of who made it was answered elsewhere I think but we have discovered we can source most bits through Browns. They are expensive though and bearings, seals etc are available from bearingboys a lot cheaper. New hubs are around 65 a piece (the shoulder that retains the cover disc on the bearing wears making bearing failures quite common on the back discs) so we are now rebuilding the hubs with weld then turning them down to reduce the problem. Any questions you have feel free to ask, and if you spot a tidy 4m one buy it quickly as I'd love to get hold of one!
    Didn't Howard rotovator build the 30?.. maybe to 500 also?

hesstondriver

im mortified this is posted in Classic machinery

Richard H

Chris 696 I am looking for a 3 mtr Massey 30 drill with disc coulters. How much do you want for it? email me if you like.

how much

Was the 500 not actually metric sized in meters the 30 where described as rows ? And maybe did not accurately tally up to tramlines widths ?

Shutesy

Whilst were on the subject. I don't suppose anybody has a 20m tramlining kit for a 4m MF30 drill laying about the workshop? Looking at moving from 12m (3x4m) to 20m (5x4m) tramlines in the not to distant future. 12m tramlines on nearly 500 acres of cropping plus another 200 acres of grassland is ridiculous in this day and age! Looking for a cog and whatever else is needed to fit it to the drill to get it to tramline at 20m in a sequence of 1 2 T 4 5.

Or any directions as to where a good place would be to get one would be much appreciated. Have to say though our MF 30 was going well this year in wet conditions, only problem was that we started drilling to late (10th Oct) so it just got to wet so its parked up till spring now.

nashmach

Quote Originally Posted by how much View Post
    Was the 500 not actually metric sized in meters the 30 where described as rows ? And maybe did not accurately tally up to tramlines widths ?
    500's were all metric sized.

Some of the 30's were also metric most notably the 4m version. Very late ones with a different decal were also metric and available in 2.4m as well (our main drill is one of those).

Quote Originally Posted by Shutesy View Post
    Whilst were on the subject. I don't suppose anybody has a 20m tramlining kit for a 4m MF30 drill laying about the workshop? Looking at moving from 12m (3x4m) to 20m (5x4m) tramlines in the not to distant future. 12m tramlines on nearly 500 acres of cropping plus another 200 acres of grassland is ridiculous in this day and age! Looking for a cog and whatever else is needed to fit it to the drill to get it to tramline at 20m in a sequence of 1 2 T 4 5.

Or any directions as to where a good place would be to get one would be much appreciated. Have to say though our MF 30 was going well this year in wet conditions, only problem was that we started drilling to late (10th Oct) so it just got to wet so its parked up till spring now.
    Try and get one from an 8ft/2.4m drill that is set up for 12m tramlines - that should sort you out.

RGT

Older model here if anyone after one?

chris696

Quote Originally Posted by Richard H View Post
    Chris 696 I am looking for a 3 mtr Massey 30 drill with disc coulters. How much do you want for it? email me if you like.
    Richard it's a 3.5m 20 row check your PM

Qman

I've got a 15 metre tram line setting disc for a MF30.
    Free to the first caller!

JohnDeere8530

got a complete metering shaft (unused I think) with metering cogs on it for a MF30 2.4M drill. Anyone out there could make use of it ?

Orcadian

Any one with newish suuffok coulters, our drill has been used with the tips missing on a few drill rows wearing the cast carrier now the wooden pin wont stand the strain of the tip with no back support.

Shutesy

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    I've got a 15 metre tram line setting disc for a MF30.
    Free to the first caller!
    Is that off a 3m MF30? If so that could be what im looking for, do the lettering/numbering on the cog read 12T45?

SoggySalopian

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
    got a complete metering shaft (unused I think) with metering cogs on it for a MF30 2.4M drill. Anyone out there could make use of it ?
    Excuse a newbie for intruding but how many flutes per cog? I have a 3m drill but the rats have chewed about half of the 23 metering units. Still got a full set of unused fertiliser ones though.

Failing that does anyone have any idea what the part number for the plastic fluted cogs is? Local Massey dealer's have no idea and Agco is stupidly mean when it comes to allowing access to its on-line parts-books.

Qman

Yes, it's off a MF30 and I am pretty sure the lettering is as you say. I will try and find it, I know it's in my workshop, but I am going to watch England thrash the All Blacks!

Some hope!!

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Yes, it's off a MF30 and I am pretty sure the lettering is as you say. I will try and find it, I know it's in my workshop, but I am going to watch England thrash the All Blacks!

Some hope!!

Some wishes do come true then

Orcadian

Quote Originally Posted by SoggySalopian View Post
    Excuse a newbie for intruding but how many flutes per cog? I have a 3m drill but the rats have chewed about half of the 23 metering units. Still got a full set of unused fertiliser ones though.

Failing that does anyone have any idea what the part number for the plastic fluted cogs is? Local Massey dealer's have no idea and Agco is stupidly mean when it comes to allowing access to its on-line parts-books.
    The newer 10 flute rolls with their stop ends were available as a kit to update the older type.
    Try your dealer with 1655065 M1 that is the number for a single 10 fluted roller

SoggySalopian

Quote Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
    The newer 10 flute rolls with their stop ends were available as a kit to update the older type.
    Try your dealer with 1655065 M1 that is the number for a single 10 fluted roller
    Thanks... got a Google hit for the part number (sans space) in Polish sadly and with a unit price of 46.23. If that's Euros then I think it might be cheaper to weigh it in.:cry:

Wait out...

Chandlers of Belton (Massey-Parts.co.uk) says 8.20, which sounds much more reasonable.
    Curious symmetry that, I spent some time at college over that way with a couple of Orcadians.

Qman

Shutesy, I have found the cog in my workshop. It is lettered 12T4512T45, I think this is the one you want.

What a fantastic result yesterday, we smashed the All Blacks, great stuff. Even better I predicted the result and can prove it to my pals, as it is in writing with the time!

nashmach

We have the 5 cog here on the 2.4m and it is exactly like Qman describes