Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tractor fuel consumption

Tullyvernon

Tractor fuel consumption

Came across this on FB thought it was interesting :

michael7740

Re: Tractor fuel consumption

Yes, it's nice to see Valtra top of the list in something.......

DM

Interesting as having followed tractor/engine threads on here for a couple of years I had the impression that JD was about the thirstiest and Valtra one of he better engines you could get

YELROM

Ran a valtra n121 for 3yrs and never known a tractor of its size uses so much fuel when working hard

JohnDeere8530

although g/kwhr is not the best way of measuring tractors' specific fuel consumption, it is the easiest.

How does this specific fuel consumption compare across time? Ie the best tractors are using about 280gm/kwhr at present, how does this compare to say a tractor in the 80's and 90's

My betting is that the older tractors of the 90s, say a fiat 110-90 for example would use less fuel to do a given job, say plough 1ha than their modern counterpart. Modern stuff is all on big soft tyres, the engine has to power more ancilliary such as aircon, larger alternators etc, but most importantly the old manual gearboxes were much more efficient than this modern stuff

All in all I would put money on it actual fuel consumption of doing a set job has increased over time ?

DrDunc

I run a Deutz k430 which doesn't fair so good in this set of numbers, however I'm well known in the pub for harping on about how frugal it is, and would welcome anyone to post fuel used per hour or acre to compare. (though it certainly looks like Zetor have built a fantastic engine).

The best in this graph, the 4 valve 4 cylinder engine in the fendt 415 is also used in the Deutz m series vario's. The dlg result for the Deutz m430ttv is 272g/kWh making it even more fuel efficient than the fendt!

There, faith in the brand I drive restored (in case anyone starting thinking their daddies tractor is better than mine)

DrDunc

fiat 100 90 4wd report from the dlg lists the specific fuel consumption as 301 g/kWh............

srrc

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
    although g/kwhr is not the best way of measuring tractors' specific fuel consumption, it is the easiest.

How does this specific fuel consumption compare across time? Ie the best tractors are using about 280gm/kwhr at present, how does this compare to say a tractor in the 80's and 90's

My betting is that the older tractors of the 90s, say a fiat 110-90 for example would use less fuel to do a given job, say plough 1ha than their modern counterpart. Modern stuff is all on big soft tyres, the engine has to power more ancilliary such as aircon, larger alternators etc, but most importantly the old manual gearboxes were much more efficient than this modern stuff

All in all I would put money on it actual fuel consumption of doing a set job has increased over time ?
    You have very little faith in technology!
    Just like cars, tractor efficency has dramatically improved. Our old Ford 7000 would use much more fuel than new comparables.
    While we are on cars (!) Autocar have a 320d on long term test and are averaging 61mpg, my mid 80's 320 did about 25mpg! I don't think tractors have improved by that magnitude but improve they have.

Ian01

Quote Originally Posted by srrc View Post
    Just like cars, tractor efficency has dramatically improved. Our old Ford 7000 would use much more fuel than new comparables.
    While we are on cars (!) Autocar have a 320d on long term test and are averaging 61mpg, my mid 80's 320 did about 25mpg! I don't think tractors have improved by that magnitude but improve they have.
    I disagree, weve had 100hp tractors that would work hard all day on about 3 cans of diesel, and only held four! Find me one that will do rhat now. Will a modern 300hp tractor go all day on 9 cans? I know mine wont!

Its all to do with emmisions regs, not just technology.

306neil

Quote Originally Posted by Ian01 View Post
    I disagree, weve had 100hp tractors that would work hard all day on about 3 cans of diesel, and only held four! Find me one that will do rhat now. Will a modern 300hp tractor go all day on 9 cans? I know mine wont!

Invest in some bigger tins..........:lolk:

Ian01

Quote Originally Posted by 306neil View Post
    Invest in some bigger tins..........:lolk:
    I wouldn't be able to lift them!:lolk:

JohnDeere8530

Quote Originally Posted by srrc View Post
    Yes I'm pretty sure specific fuel consumption has decreased over time. How much it has decreased from say the 90s I dont know, hence my earlier post. However specific fuel consumption is when taken from the pto shaft. As the pto shaft is more or less straight though the tractor any losses incurred inside the gearbox are ruled out of this equation.

However I believe specific fuel consumption measured on the drawbar (more meaningful test in most cases) may of increased over time. In my mind at least this is due to more power hungry (but more convenient) gearboxes. There are clutch packs, oil pumps, more cogs, hydro drives etc etc to power than say an older style crash gearbox. On top of this the engine has to power a multitude of other services such as more electronics etc than their older counterparts.

Dod

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    fiat 100 90 4wd report from the dlg lists the specific fuel consumption as 301 g/kWh............
    Ill have to trade in. According to dlg my 8240 does 308g/kWh

Which is bull cause it will sit all day on the verge cutter running 540 pto and uses 8.5 litre/hr. Find something modern that will do that.

And Ive also experienced deutz's abilities to run on thin air.

How does g/kWh convert into litres/hr anyway. Thats what we can all easily calculate.

anpoterrier

100hp 1980s tractor 60+ gallon a day, used to drive a ih 674 used to use a gallon of ribena to cut an acre of grass with a 5 ft mower had to carry 3 extra cans with me to last a day

JohnDeere8530

Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post

Which is bull cause it will sit all day on the verge cutter running 540 pto and uses 8.5 litre/hr. Find something modern that will do that.

How does g/kWh convert into litres/hr anyway. Thats what we can all easily calculate.
    you need to know the density of the fuel for starters which varies with temp and other factors

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post

If DLG said an 8240 did 308/kw/hr, that's what it did. They aren't figures they plucked out of the ether. But it depends how much load the tractor was under. You will probably find you 8240 using 8.5 litres/hr is running quite inefficiently. It's not using much fuel, but not doing much work either. Efficiency is work out for effort in.

DrDunc

you need to know the density of the fuel for starters which varies with temp and other factors
    Also the dlg powermix result for specific fuel consumption is an average for simulated tasks at varying loads.

But out of curiosity my k430 at 309 g/kWh and using a Nebraska test quoted specific gravity of fuel ........

g/kWh times specific gravity of fuel (l/g) times output (kw) = litre per hour......

309 x 1.196/1000 x 88 = 32 l/h!!!!??? I'd be broke if this was the case.

The worst I've ever recorded was 18.2l/h flat out on the power harrow for a couple of days.

So how do we compare fuel consumption?

Cowabunga

I had 75hp Ford 5000's that would drink 20 gallons of diesel by teatime when working flat-out, so don't give me that! David Brown 1410 would use about the same fuel per hour but complete more work. Even then I have experience of them using 80 gallons a day when shift working.
    Indeed the MF 135, acknowledged for its parsimony, when on a water pump would just about guzzle a 45 gallon drum of diesel in 24 hours of use.

Get real!

Cowabunga

Yes I'm pretty sure specific fuel consumption has decreased over time. How much it has decreased from say the 90s I dont know, hence my earlier post. However specific fuel consumption is when taken from the pto shaft. As the pto shaft is more or less straight though the tractor any losses incurred inside the gearbox are ruled out of this equation.

However I believe specific fuel consumption measured on the drawbar (more meaningful test in most cases) may of increased over time. In my mind at least this is due to more power hungry (but more convenient) gearboxes. There are clutch packs, oil pumps, more cogs, hydro drives etc etc to power than say an older style crash gearbox. On top of this the engine has to power a multitude of other services such as more electronics etc than their older counterparts.
    Not much. Tier3 took fuel consumption per horsepower back to 1970's level. The latest addblue engines should redress the balance and make good use of the sophisticated injection and multi-valve technology in the form of reduced fuel consumption. But the purchase price has risen again due to even higher production costs.
    Air-con and bigger cooling packs as well as the effect of emission regulations has been the main extra drag on fuel economy. Also all the lights. All mitigated by the twin orange flashers.

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    I had 75hp Ford 5000's that would drink 20 gallons of diesel by teatime when working flat-out, so don't give me that! David Brown 1410 would use about the same fuel per hour but complete more work. Even then I have experience of them using 80 gallons a day when shift working.
    Indeed the MF 135, acknowledged for its parsimony, when on a water pump would just about guzzle a 45 gallon drum of diesel in 24 hours of use.

Get real!
    I am sorry I think you are way out on your figures there, perhaps we should have a poll on here , how many would agree that a 135 could ever consume 45 gallons in a day!!!!

20 gallons in a 5000 by teatime, with the exhaust glowing pulling a forager all day long it still would not empty the tank thats fitted to our 100 hp MF of today. The MF can easily empty it in less than a day! and not necessarily done twice the work

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    I am sorry I think you are way out on your figures there, perhaps we should have a poll on here , how many would agree that a 135 could ever consume 45 gallons in a day!!!!
    45 gallon in 24 hours is less than 2 gallons an hour, which is probably about right if it is flat out on a pump.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post

20 gallons in a 5000 by teatime, with the exhaust glowing pulling a forager all day long it still would not empty the tank thats fitted to our 100 hp MF of today. The MF can easily empty it in less than a day! and not necessarily done twice the work
    We've gone over this before and at that time I gave you the official specific fuel consumption figures that showed that it could use even more than my figures suggested.
    A 135 will run all day [a normal day with stoppages and headland turns] on light work on 5 to 8 gallons. Put it on hard continuous 24 hour work though and I can assure you that you would need to be fairly punctual filling the 45 gallon drum or it would run out. 28 hours maximum.
    Many a day I spent on various Ford 5000 tractors and it would run out of diesel by 4.30 if not topped up. It only held 16.5 gallons.
    Your current 100hp MF is a tier2, and while not quite as efficient as a pre-emission engine of the same model, it will use less fuel on the same job as the old Ford 7000 of 93hp and certainly less than a 100hp 7610.

Light work equals light fuel use on all of them of course.
    Another tractor that I used for many years was an 82hp 1984 JD2140. Again its 21 gallon tank could be run dry by teatime [4pm] from a 9am start.

My current biggest tractor averages 18litres per hour. It has nearly 180hp at the shaft. That doesn't disguise the fact that pulling flat out it will use 36 litres per hour and if it was on a slurry pump or something, labouring all day and night, it would use a rather frightening 865 litres/190 gallons of fuel.

For the sake of comparison, divide that power by 42 hp, the power at the PTO of a 135 and the tractor is equivalent in power to exactly four 135's. 45 gallons times 4 and you get, guess what? 180 gallons of fuel used by four 135's using 45 gallons each.

It is no surprise to me to find that my big tractor is just as efficient as the 135 in terms of fuel use per horsepower produced.

You might wonder how I know my tractor uses 36 litres per hour flat out? Two reasons. It has a real-time performance monitor and various trips and an average from the day it left the factory. The second is that I have checked its accuracy to an acceptable degree by filling it by 25litre drums on occasion.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    45 gallon in 24 hours is less than 2 gallons an hour, which is probably about right if it is flat out on a pump.
    I know it is correct because I filled the drum for several weeks and had to bleed the system several times. Apparently tractors of that era ran on fresh air according to some people. Power comes from fuel not magic.

DrDunc

and to stir a little more.........

Of course the purity and cetane rating of ag diesel has improved considerably since the seventies, so modern tractors should use less of this better fuel

5020man

Hi.

The old saying, "You cannot have the pull of an elephant on the appetite of a canary".is as true today as it ever was.

5020man

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    I know it is correct because I filled the drum for several weeks and had to bleed the system several times. Apparently tractors of that era ran on fresh air according to some people. Power comes from fuel not magic.
    They never went wrong either, summers were longer and there were no droughts or floods. Them were the days

Richard

If you were sending a tractor for this test could you not tweak its power (fuel) down and come out the winner, but only do half the work?

multi power

in my experience some tractors seem to suit light work n some more efficent on heavy work, eg dad has a case 1394, concidered very cheap to run, on light work it uses very little compared to his mf 690, but on heavy work such as mowing the case uses much more than the mf, i have been mowing with 3 drum 8 ft mower n emptyied the case in 6 hours while on the other hand have done 2 days slurry tanking on half a tank

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by multi power View Post
    in my experience some tractors seem to suit light work n some more efficent on heavy work, eg dad has a case 1394, concidered very cheap to run, on light work it uses very little compared to his mf 690, but on heavy work such as mowing the case uses much more than the mf, i have been mowing with 3 drum 8 ft mower n emptyied the case in 6 hours while on the other hand have done 2 days slurry tanking on half a tank
    The more powerful the tractor the bigger the difference. My big one uses 36 litres per hour up hill with a tanker and 0 down hill [because it is not using power and not injecting fuel]. A difference of 36 litres. The difference is proportional with load and power output, so if only 50hp is being used at any particular time, only 50hp's worth of fuel will be consumed .

A Massey 135 would use less than 10 pulling hard but near zero down hill. A maximum difference of 10.

But there are even more subtle differences. I know that my NH 8360 is reasonable at all loads and revs apart from it drinking like a fish pulling hard from 2000 rpm and above. The difference is dramatic for some reason. It is not a fault as they are all like that.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If you were sending a tractor for this test could you not tweak its power (fuel) down and come out the winner, but only do half the work?
    I bet they hadn't thought of that.