Thread: 2nd grade straw

nick channer

2nd grade straw

anyone have any contacts for where i can sell top bales [big hesston] from outside stack.. composting etc...

Russell B

Re: 2nd grade straw

A local pig farmer may take it,we are using plenty of poor stuff in ours.

Forage Trader

Won't Sleaford take it with the good , they are stockpiling on the airfield near there

Gormers

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    anyone have any contacts for where i can sell top bales [big hesston] from outside stack.. composting etc...
    Nick
    Any mushroom growers in your area?, back in the day they used to compost wet /2nd wheat bales.

Gormers

Forage Trader

Problem s this year there is compost straw everywhere, next harvest straw will be in very short supply so it may pay to hang on to it or compost it yourself and put it back on the land rather than sell it for 10 ton

nick channer

wont be selling it for 10 ton derrick.. last lot we sold was 8 bale for mini hesston couple yrs ago.
    sleaford will take it next yr when my contract kicks in..
    bales are still 70% good, shame to compost them..
    we got rid of all our cattle thank god or woulda used them ourselves..

kill
    South west water mix straw with sewage as it helps the sewage cake 2 heat up so mayb talk to ur local water co or their contractors as i would think urs would b ideal

devils advocate

Still got 5 acre to bale.

It looks remarkably well, plan is to bale it really fluffy in small bales if it ever gets dry. Store in the barn some will be sold to gardners for composting/throwing in ponds. Some used to insulate outside potato shed doors if we get extreme frost, some to stack outside sheep shed for shelter at lambing type (out of reach for eating) perhaps sell some to suckler cow men for around water troughs etc.

nick channer

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    Still got 5 acre to bale.

It looks remarkably well, plan is to bale it really fluffy in small bales if it ever gets dry. Store in the barn some will be sold to gardners for composting/throwing in ponds. Some used to insulate outside potato shed doors if we get extreme frost, some to stack outside sheep shed for shelter at lambing type (out of reach for eating) perhaps sell some to suckler cow men for around water troughs etc.
    we still got 100 acres in swath.. tried chopping some but too wet.. self propelled forager may be only option..
    old mans to blame which i remind him of every day as he wanted to small bale it [cos it'l make more than big bales per acre] when i was ready to go in with big hesston but conventional baler was still balein hay in 3rd week sept then it got wet and never dried out...
    have round baled straw in feb/march before and used it for litter..

devils advocate

we still got 100 acres in swath.. tried chopping some but too wet.. self propelled forager may be only option..
    old mans to blame which i remind him of every day as he wanted to small bale it [cos it'l make more than big bales per acre] when i was ready to go in with big hesston but conventional baler was still balein hay in 3rd week sept then it got wet and never dried out...
    have round baled straw in feb/march before and used it for litter..
    Yep we should have round baled, but are 100% small bales & this is a small price to pay for what we gain. Our record is 300/acre for small fluffy bales for pet trade but that is retail. Do 110 acre Works well along side a farm shop most sold by the horse box or car boot load buyer collecting any spare sold to sheep & cattle farmers for use in small sheds. Suprising that some really large farms like to buy 200 or 300 bales for calf/lamb pens.

Had a really attractive lady in a rather expensive looking sports coupe who unzipped the roof & asked for a bale to be put on the front seat & then zipped up the roof, this weekend. Wanted it for her childrens Gunnia pigs!

nick channer

Yep we should have round baled, but are 100% small bales & this is a small price to pay for what we gain. Our record is 300/acre for small fluffy bales for pet trade but that is retail. Do 110 acre Works well along side a farm shop most sold by the horse box or car boot load buyer collecting any spare sold to sheep & cattle farmers for use in small sheds. Suprising that some really large farms like to buy 200 or 300 bales for calf/lamb pens.

Had a really attractive lady in a rather expensive looking sports coupe who unzipped the roof & asked for a bale to be put on the front seat & then zipped up the roof, this weekend. Wanted it for her childrens Gunnia pigs!
    winter barley straw we've averaged nearly 400 acre.. not this yr mind. busy balein hay and all barley and most wheat straw big baled..
    we're gonna buy another baler and bale baron for this harvest and run 2 together.. if we baled 100000 straw bales wouldnt be enough.. and hay at 3 bale into the trade is as good or better than growing wheat..
    baron and baler costs peanuts per day to run with up to 6-8000 in straw sales per day.. big balein hay is complete waste time to sell into the trade at figures of 75-80 being quoted for good hay...

DHM

our contractor says he has put 700ac through the self propell!

devils advocate

winter barley straw we've averaged nearly 400 acre.. ...
    Impressive how many bales per acre

Our record was 150 bales per acre @ 2 per bale.

We are at 2.50 for dense small bales this year & customers moaning like mad, happy to pay 1.50 for bales a third of the weight though.

So lots of fluffy bales next year, just a pain getting tripped up by the loose twine when stacking.

Forage Trader

Shame barrons were not 3inches longer, bought 6000 last week, hope to have the artic back tommorow night with over 1500 on, is that a record for an artic

Johndeere

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Shame barrons were not 3inches longer, bought 6000 last week, hope to have the artic back tommorow night with over 1500 on, is that a record for an artic
    Much trade for these bale baron packs derrick? What weight do you get on a load?

nick channer

Impressive how many bales per acre

Our record was 150 bales per acre @ 2 per bale.

We are at 2.50 for dense small bales this year & customers moaning like mad, happy to pay 1.50 for bales a third of the weight though.

So lots of fluffy bales next year, just a pain getting tripped up by the loose twine when stacking.
    2.25 bale that yr for winter barley straw...
    dont get problem tipping over loose twine when puting them in barn in packs 42 at time..

nick channer

must be a pull out trailer derrick?? highly illegal if it is... i get 1008 bales on mine with 4ft extension [48 packs] but normal 45 flat will get 924 [44 packs].. that must been you who boiught those packs at stowe???
    1.80 a bale for wheat staw.. everyone says our bales are too cheap at 1.50??

nick channer

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    Much trade for these bale baron packs derrick? What weight do you get on a load?
    like i said before if we had 100,000 it wouldnt be enough.. every man and their dog wants them... we only baled around 12.000 wheat and 8000 spring barley as baler was balein hay throughout harvest.. all these [bar 5000 barley which have gone now] went straight off field.. derrick sent lorrys in off field....
    you cant beat knocking up 3000 bales in few hours and loading straight off field at nearly 1500 load for half as much straw as you'd need to load same lorry with mini hesstons to get 800 if your lucky..
    hence reason we're gonna run 2 this harvest.
    have customer in cumbria who will take 50-60,000 off field and throughout winter.. barley straw anyone will buy... must get 2 phone calls a week at min for small bale wheat or barley..
    its taken 3 yrs to build this customer base up with hours on phone pushin them....we dont tend to deliver direct to end user [unless its on lorry] as theres only 50p on top for moving them.. rather stick 1300 at time on lorry and drag at 1.50 bale...

Johndeere

How much does the bale baron machine cost to buy?

Forage Trader

Small bales are in short supply this year but beware It's a very fickle trade last year you could hardly give them away as there was over supply, Barrons are catching on, at the start no one wanted them due to their size, Canadian made they were asked to increase the size but refussed due to health and safety issue of lifting a bigger bale, they restricted to 20kg

Forage Trader

must be a pull out trailer derrick?? highly illegal if it is... i get 1008 bales on mine with 4ft extension [48 packs] but normal 45 flat will get 924 [44 packs].. that must been you who boiught those packs at stowe???
    1.80 a bale for wheat staw.. everyone says our bales are too cheap at 1.50??
    Do you have any left? Those in Stow made 165

nick channer

Unhappy Re: 2nd grade straw

Small bales are in short supply this year but beware It's a very fickle trade last year you could hardly give them away as there was over supply, Barrons are catching on, at the start no one wanted them due to their size, Canadian made they were asked to increase the size but refussed due to health and safety issue of lifting a bigger bale, they restricted to 20kg
    been speaking to nick scrace today who imports them... think problem with barons is more the cost of machine.. we payed 49000 for ours.. before ours arived in this country they went up 5k and now same machine is just under 60000..
    we're interested in 2nd hand one he has coming in exactly same age as ours with same pack count for 42k with seasons warranty..
    i'm pretty certain i can sell exess of 100000 straw bales in a season.. and as much hay as i can make..
    hence reason we're gonna run 2..
    2 diff people told me those packs made 1.80..
    if they made 1.65 ours are perfectly priced at 1.50 off field and out barn..
    we havent a single small bale on farm.. got to rebale some big hesstons to keep our regulars who have odd pack with there load hay happy..
    had 5 def orders for big hesstons delivered in in last few days.. big bales starting to shift now down here..

Forage Trader

been speaking to nick scrace today who imports them... think problem with barons is more the cost of machine.. we payed 49000 for ours.. before ours arived in this country they went up 5k and now same machine is just under 60000..
    we're interested in 2nd hand one he has coming in exactly same age as ours with same pack count for 42k with seasons warranty..
    i'm pretty certain i can sell exess of 100000 straw bales in a season.. and as much hay as i can make..
    hence reason we're gonna run 2..
    2 diff people told me those packs made 1.80..
    if they made 1.65 ours are perfectly priced at 1.50 off field and out barn..
    we havent a single small bale on farm.. got to rebale some big hesstons to keep our regulars who have odd pack with there load hay happy..
    had 5 def orders for big hesstons delivered in in last few days.. big bales starting to shift now down here..
    the packs I bought are further East than you the local ones did make that and more, most of those Stow guys are on their limit mileage wise it gets cheaper from there on, Mileage makes no odds to me, if you have good contacts and serve them well they will come back every year no matter what the trade

Forage Trader

Loading bale Barrons.

nick channer

if you turnt those packs 90 degrees on bottom layer so they are 3 wide across trailer then turn packs flat and put em on side ways 2 packs wide you'l get more on... get an extra pack that way on normal 45 ft stepfame so sure you'll get 5 or 6 more packs on that trailer??

Forage Trader

The guy loading there refuses to turn them

nick channer

The guy loading there refuses to turn them
    whats he loading them with to be able to put em on that way round... we bought a big bale squeezer type thing with 8ft arms that bale baron uk imported from canada.. not used it to load a lorry as put em the other way when we load..
    we bought it for loadind rye grass as the spikes dont work to well in that