Thread: Solar system inverters

Andrew Kerr

Solar system inverters

Been offered either Fronius CL or SMA Sunny Boy type inverter with a 50KW PV system, any thoughts on merits of either?

TIA.

big_phil

Wink Re: Solar system inverters

ive got solar max ones made in germany and so far so good ! Hope your system costing 49k installed if not i know company that can

fraggle13

Re: Solar system inverters

Quote Originally Posted by big_phil View Post
    ive got solar max ones made in germany and so far so good ! Hope your system costing 49k installed if not i know company that can
    Which company is that phil? I've just been quoted 18k + vat for 10kw system, which was dearer than I expected

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Been offered either Fronius CL or SMA Sunny Boy type inverter with a 50KW PV system, any thoughts on merits of either?

TIA.
    SMA every time Andrew. I did a bit of research before our installation and they are top of the list for reliability. You dont want to be replacing them very often! If your expecting something to last up to 25 years then you buy the premium expensive brand!

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post

TIA.
    Andrew.
    I have SMA good so far.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by big_phil View Post
    The last price i had was 51K. Didnt go for it. Still unsure if i should have any more at this level. I think 50 Kwh wind would be better to go with the 50 Kwh of solar.

big_phil

its switch2renewables.com

Bromb

As Krampeman says - SMA came out tops in my research and that is what we went for to

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    The last price i had was 51K. Didnt go for it. Still unsure if i should have any more at this level. I think 50 Kwh wind would be better to go with the 50 Kwh of solar.
    What make of panels were quoted John?

NickF

I have had 3 quotes so far for 50kw system ground mount:

etsolar panels with solarmax invertors - 50k
    siliken panels with samil invertors - 60k
    833 Gallium panels with SMA invertors - 70k

Huge price differential between them, the 70k quote is for the best, most efficient and reliable products but I am undecided if I will get the 20k back from improved performance and reliability.

Nick

big_phil

Wink Re: Solar system inverters

Marginal difference in effeciency between them i bet and the cheaper quote has 25 yr warrantys on panels and 5 yr on invertors which can be extented too lifetime - i had the same decision and think i made the right choice !

Andrew Kerr

Thanks all for the advice, gone with SMA in the end.