Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: RTF bases costs and demands.

  1. #1
    Derky
    Guest

    RTF bases costs and demands.

    We were at a trimble GPS clinic yesterday and was very interested about the RTK farming. They have a super coverage of East Anglia but only come other as far as Leighton Buzzard. I was wondering what the thoughts are on extending it further. The demand and of course the costs ? We have a prime sight that one could be erected on in our yard but beyond ? Thoughts please.

  2. #2
    Krampeman
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    We were at a trimble GPS clinic yesterday and was very interested about the RTK farming. They have a super coverage of East Anglia but only come other as far as Leighton Buzzard. I was wondering what the thoughts are on extending it further. The demand and of course the costs ? We have a prime sight that one could be erected on in our yard but beyond ? Thoughts please.
    I spoke to them about 6 months ago with the same idea but at the time they had no definite plans to extend their coverage further. Most farmers around here are now using some form of guidance so ultimately RTK is where they will end up because any other signal type irrelevant of manufacturer is fraught with problems.

  3. #3
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Hi Derek,
    I believe we may have an RTK base that covers your farm. All you would need from us is one of our radios then we could make your trimble work form our topcon mast.
    Anything is possible.....
    Please PM me your postcode again and ill check our coverage and give you a quote

    Rob Thurkettle

  4. #4
    Fran Loake
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    We were at a trimble GPS clinic yesterday and was very interested about the RTK farming. They have a super coverage of East Anglia but only come other as far as Leighton Buzzard. I was wondering what the thoughts are on extending it further. The demand and of course the costs ? We have a prime sight that one could be erected on in our yard but beyond ? Thoughts please.

    We have just installed a Trimble RTK mast. We are to the north of Milton Keynes on a pretty good site. If you need a signal and are within range then it may suit. Message me if you wish.
    How was the clinic? We are off to the same one (I guess) tomorrow.
    Fran

  5. #5
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran Loake View Post
    We have just installed a Trimble RTK mast. We are to the north of Milton Keynes on a pretty good site. If you need a signal and are within range then it may suit. Message me if you wish.
    How was the clinic? We are off to the same one (I guess) tomorrow.
    Fran
    Won't be many biccys for tomorrow, been some greedy b'stards there the last
    two days.

  6. #6
    Derky
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Clinic was good but two of the presentations were making me nod............
    I was almost thinking if we could do something like the RTK farming group but for the south, central and Midlands ?
    As said i have a perfect site for the mast but have no clue on costs etc. Maybe it could appeal to a GPS manufacturer to use it as a base ???

  7. #7
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Derek,
    I've sent your details to my colleague. He will call you as we have a network of bases covering that area in conjunction with our agco dealers....

  8. #8
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    Clinic was good but two of the presentations were making me nod............
    I was almost thinking if we could do something like the RTK farming group but for the south, central and Midlands ?
    As said i have a perfect site for the mast but have no clue on costs etc. Maybe it could appeal to a GPS manufacturer to use it as a base ???
    we put a mast up this autumn and have already had several people wanting to buy signal

    think it may prove to be a decent investment even though we bought it really for our own use

  9. #9
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    Clinic was good but two of the presentations were making me nod............
    I was almost thinking if we could do something like the RTK farming group but for the south, central and Midlands ?
    As said i have a perfect site for the mast but have no clue on costs etc. Maybe it could appeal to a GPS manufacturer to use it as a base ???
    Shirley the best place to ask about RTK networks, base stations and costs would be a GPS clinic.

    They're a friendly bunch, imho.

  10. #10
    Farmer Wally
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    How much did it roughly cost to put up your RTK Base station .?
    There seems to be varied figures banded about by sales reps

  11. #11
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Wally View Post
    How much did it roughly cost to put up your RTK Base station .?
    There seems to be varied figures banded about by sales reps
    About 15k fitted for our base

    You then need radio modules for tractors price of which depends a lot on what brand you run plus some brands also require a unlock code to run on rtk

  12. #12
    Derky
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    Shirley the best place to ask about RTK networks, base stations and costs would be a GPS clinic.

    They're a friendly bunch, imho.
    I think the problem is the manufacturer wants to jump on and supply all at a bigger cost, just trying to see what it would be ourselves.

  13. #13
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    I think the problem is the manufacturer wants to jump on and supply all at a bigger cost, just trying to see what it would be ourselves.
    Think this is spot on - if farmers get their own base stations everyone else kisses goodbye to their annual subs

    If there are a few tractors running of the base it soon gets paid for and a quick look at the area covered by ours showed at least 100 farms that potentially could be served by it !

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Essex/cambs
    Posts
    4

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Think this is spot on - if farmers get their own base stations everyone else kisses goodbye to their annual subs

    If there are a few tractors running of the base it soon gets paid for and a quick look at the area covered by ours showed at least 100 farms that potentially could be served by it !
    we have three Topcon RTK bases covering from Stansted to Bury st Edmunds, anybody intrested in renting signal please contact.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    Hi Hoss,
    Guess I know who you are! We have Topcon RTK coverage pretty much for all the southeast from north Norfolk to south coast of Kent . Happy to discuss further
    robt@lh-agro.co.uk

  16. #16

    Re: RTF bases costs and demands.

    If interested we have a RTK signal that can go in to most GPS receivers from Linc's down to Kent
    contact your local JD dealer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •