Thread: Cover Crops and slugs

MrNoo

Cover Crops and slugs

Just an observation, I drilled some Pedders mix after wheat on some light ground destined for SB, however due to the weather I ended up ploughing it all in early November and Combi`ing in some wheat. I pelleted once at drilling and nothing since, the crop is now up in row, no sign of any slug damage at all. So is this due to the cover crop or the dreaded plough/combi? My other wheat (mintill planted first week Oct) is/has been murdered by slugs.
    Just interested if anyone else has noticed the same??

honest john

Re: Cover Crops and slugs

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Just an observation, I drilled some Pedders mix after wheat on some light ground destined for SB, however due to the weather I ended up ploughing it all in early November and Combi`ing in some wheat. I pelleted once at drilling and nothing since, the crop is now up in row, no sign of any slug damage at all. So is this due to the cover crop or the dreaded plough/combi? My other wheat (mintill planted first week Oct) is/has been murdered by slugs.
    Slugs are very active in september / october in wet warm. At this time of year November / December they are not a problem in wheat crops.
    In the fens where a lot of wheat is planted late slugs are not an issue.
    Where as 2nd wheat or ex peas beans osr they can be.
    So Pedders mix or time of year ?

MrNoo

I would agree re time of year, but I still have wheat being chewed off, slugs still to be found despite the recent frosts on my mintill wheat.

BSH

Not sure if I can corroborate this or not, but I have sown wheat into a red clover ley sprayed off, after a 5yr lucerne ley, behind a cover crop of millet and into barley stubbles and also a grass ley. All were sprayed off with Round Up. The only field not to have a slug problem was the field planted behind the millet cover crop. This field was also the most bare because of the low C:N of the millet whereas all the others have a higher C content.

drummer_bruhaha

BSH - I will get our lab to look into that.

Regards slug pressure, the recent frosts have seem a massive reduction in grazing and damage in most situations. There is always going to be a continual grazing issue, simply due to the extreme pressure we have seen this season.

drummer_bruhaha

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Could be that it was light land and any eggs present could have been damaged by your ploughing etc. The application of pellets would have finished off any of the remaining devils. The later timing than your Oct drilled wheat, would also have helped.......or it could be you are just lucky

Mayo

Don't be fooled into thinking cultivations will sort a slug issue! Not this year anyway!

Regarding why some crops support slugs and others do not, could it be that things like maize, beans etc once mature, are too hard and tough for them to eat and multiply on?