Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exceptional cab condition

reboot

Exceptional cab condition

Does anyone else keep an air freshner in their cab and replace occasionally? Do you have a floor brush and a few dash wipes? Clean the cab windows when their dirty?

Just wondering if anyone else does or appreciates employees who do?

Rob Holmes

Re: Exceptional cab condition

There is someone on here that has a piece of carpet for the floor of his tractor and combine... lets see if he makes an appearance?

Hesston4860s

I clean the cab out and wash all the windows at the start of baling by the end of baling the floor resembles the 1 at the benson & hedges factory but the windows are still clean.

jim75

Thought it was standard practice, really annoys me a dirty cab. Don't get me started on "clean it in your own time"

slowtrac

when i was on the farms i had a bit of carpet on the floor, dash cleaner to try and keep the cab clean, if your spending long hours in it surely keeping it clean is a must, it used to annoy me when the boss had driven it and left evidence of his chain smoking all over the cab

essexpete

Talking of cabs a guy from Boston delivered to us in a very tidy DAF 460. He keeps his work shoes in the step and drives bare foot or cab shoes. You could have eaten a dinner off any where inside his cab. When I went to sign the ticket he looked at me old fashioned and said 'you wouldn't be about to rest that on my cab now would you'.

JD Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by reboot View Post
    Does anyone else keep an air freshner in their cab and replace occasionally? Do you have a floor brush and a few dash wipes? Clean the cab windows when their dirty?

Just wondering if anyone else does or appreciates employees who do?
    It's nice to keep things clean, but there are some jobs where it is just impractical.... I've got a truck spray flap on my top step at the recommendation of someone on here (can't remember who though, sorry) and it helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Talking of cabs a guy from Boston delivered to us in a very tidy DAF 460. He keeps his work shoes in the step and drives bare foot or cab shoes. You could have eaten a dinner off any where inside his cab. When I went to sign the ticket he looked at me old fashioned and said 'you wouldn't be about to rest that on my cab now would you'.
    A lot of truck drivers do this, but if you are living in your cab it's not nice to get up in the morning and put your bare feet in yesterdays mud!

hoff135

I thought about bolting one of these somewhere on the steps but it woult get covered in mud off the wheels, on my tractor anyway...

TM135

I just open all the doors and windows and get busy with the air line. then a quick wipe over of the dash and linkage panels etc. Usually before i wash the outside.

Big Vern

dunno bout exceptional clean, but it takes only a few minutes to chuck out you skip bag at the end of the day,
    rag and a bit of glass cleaner in side, jet wash windows in the morning when im hauling corn or spuds,,

also why do some people insisit on putting reams of string n crap behind a tractor - telehandler seat.... or working all day with window open an cab ful of dust n shite or fert dust....

applesquasher

Rarely drive a tractor that has a cab.
    Most of the ones that do have cabs could easily grow a crop on the inside given a bit of water.
    Glass is cleaned, can't be doing with dirty glass.

Cab-over Pete

I keep it clean, but not spotless. I'd like to have more time to do it better, but an airline in the cab is the best thing. Can't be doing with grubby windows either.

Paintwork is my main concern, Anyone who comes to do any work on my machines (electrical chap, fitters etc) need watching like a hawk. They don't seem to have any respect for paint, or seat covers. My two most used sayings are "watch the paint" or "of course, you were about to put a seat cover on my seat weren't you". One chap just said "No, it's only a tractor" To which I replied" ah, in that case you were obviously about to take your overalls off then". He got the message...........and has never been back since.

MF6470

Ive got carpet in mine and in winter i have i piece of astroturf as well to keep the mud off my boots confined, the floor under it is like the day it was delivered, a brush lives in the cab along with autoglym glass cleaner, dash wipes, after most washes its back to black for the front fenders and autoglym wax that you can put on wet bodywork for the tinwork and 4 air freshners. the plastic is still on the passenger seat and drivers seat from new and there is also a fitted padded foam massey cover on the seat. hate living in a dirty cab.

Cowabunga

This must be an arable farm phenomenon? Certainly like to keep it reasonably clean but there is a limit when you are jumping in and out in a mixed animal poo and mud environment.

Ford4000

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    This must be an arable farm phenomenon? Certainly like to keep it reasonably clean but there is a limit when you are jumping in and out in a mixed animal poo and mud environment.
    My air freshner is usually the silage wrap pulled off the bale

Yale

Yes,i agree,on a livestock farm it is impossible to keep mud and muck out as you get on and off so often.

I did remove a sheep feed sack of string from behind the telehandler seat the other day,the only reason was to get to the handbrake cable to replace it.

Mr Muck

My personal hate is used silage nets in the cab of loader tractors or loadal! Drives me mad!

jim75

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Muck View Post
    My personal hate is used silage nets in the cab of loader tractors or loadal! Drives me mad!
    My father in law uses them on cab floor to save making a mess, aghhhh the irony, ha ha

jfdi

Ok then had this discussion today, on a tractor of around 50k @ trade in, how much would a1 condition with no dings or bits hanging off put on compared to one of average condition?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Ford4000 View Post
    My air freshner is usually the silage wrap pulled off the bale
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale View Post
    Yes,i agree,on a livestock farm it is impossible to keep mud and muck out as you get on and off so often.

I did remove a sheep feed sack of string from behind the telehandler seat the other day,the only reason was to get to the handbrake cable to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Muck View Post
    Foreign objects! I hate them in the cab. String and net wrap is a complete no-no. One little bunch of string can be useful, but that's the limit.
    I've seen tow chains under the clutch pedals, lump hammers and all sorts inside people's cabs. All are potential missiles in an accident.
    The worse I've ever seen is someone who always put oilskins on before using the tractor, possibly because the inside of the cab was covered in a thick layer of slimy sticky smelly cow slurry. It was like a chicken and egg situation. Which came first, the slurry in the cab or the slurry on his stinking oilskins? Oddly enough this was on a farm with one of the tidiest houses and house yard in the area. The oilskins obviously didn't go anywhere near the house. Unless I had seen the mess several times with my own eyes, I would never have believed it.

Huffy

Our neighbour contractor had one on his Case Maxuum , until the umbilical pipe split right behind the spray header thing and flooded the cab out .
    They had to put the power washer in it

farmboymark

Drive the combine in the summer got a brush for the floor, rag for taking the thick dust off and another for use with glass cleaner, rags for cleaning the dash etc when waiting for trailers
    Have to so the tractor that the "boy" uses for carting when we start drilling as I use that tractor for rolling and he spends all summer driving from one trailer to the other with the windows and doors open

vinnie123

Quote Originally Posted by MF6470 View Post
    Ive got carpet in mine and in winter i have i piece of astroturf as well to keep the mud off my boots confined, the floor under it is like the day it was delivered, a brush lives in the cab along with autoglym glass cleaner, dash wipes, after most washes its back to black for the front fenders and autoglym wax that you can put on wet bodywork for the tinwork and 4 air freshners. the plastic is still on the passenger seat and drivers seat from new and there is also a fitted padded foam massey cover on the seat. hate living in a dirty cab.
    if you'd been out with us on monday you'd have given birth to a large number of kittens!!!!!!!!!!!!!the umbilical pipe on splash plate blew its top when stones blocked both outlets at once, the jet of shit then had so much force it blew the seal on back window at which point driver evacuated after hollering down cb to stop pump...........you have NEVER seen anything like it, the cup holders were brimming, every surface was black including roof, even tax disc holder was full, floor was four inches deep! all in 15-20 seconds, it was so bad the only thing we could do was hose entire cab out electrics and all, believe it or not it still works and its blue! the ride home was a bit smelly after our UMBILICAL DISASTER

vinnie123

Quote Originally Posted by jfdi View Post
    Ok then had this discussion today, on a tractor of around 50k @ trade in, how much would a1 condition with no dings or bits hanging off put on compared to one of average condition?
    not a great deal of difference, hrs on clock and spec a lot more important

vinnie123

Quote Originally Posted by Huffy View Post
    Our neighbour contractor had one on his Case Maxuum , until the umbilical pipe split right behind the spray header thing and flooded the cab out .
    They had to put the power washer in it
    and there was me thinking we were the only ones that unlucky

The Pretender

Floor brush, roll of paper towels, generic windowlene bottle, dash duster, air freshener and screen wipes for the camera.

I try to keep it clean, it is a nice machine and I am fortunate to drive it, but am not OCD about cleaning. I don't like dust in the cab because it make me cough, baling dust make me sneeze and it gets in the switches. The air line is a last resort, I prefer to vac it out with the Big Brute with a brush on the end of the hose, it only takes 2 minutes and does a really good job.

I tried a mat on the floor, one was acquired, cut to shape and fitted. Total waste of time, it just made the cab dustier than ever.

James

wipes for the cab surfaces/dashboards screenwash in a squirty bottle for windows mainly when cutting hedges and some paper towel and an old towel out of house also prefer to hoover out cab floor brushing just rises the dust like it clean and tidy but i'm realistic about things

have known people who would've taken boots off and put slippers on when they got into cab - swear it was kept cleaner than when it was new and another guy who bubble wrapped everything before the dealers mechanic came to service it

Footsfitter

We bought in a TM155 from 1 of 3 local farmers who were going in together + taking on more ground. It came from one who was a mixed farm, not too bad a condition but a few silly things easily put right, but it also came with a genuine CNH floor mat, never seen one before, but sadly no matter how much we steam cleaned it, the smell of cow muck just lingers.

It spent 12 months chucked over various machines and a further 12 months in the lean-to next to the workshop.

It still hums so remains where it is

ff

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    We bought in a TM155 from 1 of 3 local farmers who were going in together + taking on more ground. It came from one who was a mixed farm, not too bad a condition but a few silly things easily put right, but it also came with a genuine CNH floor mat, never seen one before, but sadly no matter how much we steam cleaned it, the smell of cow muck just lingers.

It spent 12 months chucked over various machines and a further 12 months in the lean-to next to the workshop.

It still hums so remains where it is

ff

There must be something apart from cow muck to hum like that after all that time and a couple of cleanings. Have you checked behind the panels for spilt milk or a dead animal, like a rat or a cat or small dog? Does it fill with bluebottles in the Autumn sun, which is a sure sign of a maggot ridden corpse inside somewhere?

scrambler

I like a clean cab, but I also use it as intended, i.e. no polythene on the seat or cover for the floor mat. Why would you have a super comfy high tec seat and then leave the polythene cover on it?