Thread: How would a Claydon go it frozen ground?

Rob Holmes

How would a Claydon go it frozen ground?

Now we've had a few hard frosts, the ground is firming up now, just had the crazy idea this afternoon that it might Claydon, followed by a light raking?

Or shall i cut out the middleman and just check myself into the local mental asylum?

agricontract

Re: How would a Claydon go it frozen ground?

Think it might come up In flags to the depth of the frost rather than the depth you want to put the seed in at might try some tomorrow though if it's not raining

Dockers

Look out for the men in the white coats !!!

JCB_3230

Should go OK.. From what I hear...

tractor man

We drilled winter beans a few days ago, went ok, jury out on the outcome though as land is saturated and I'm affraid it may rot the seed.

Rob Holmes

I was thinking about maybe trying wheat

Andrew Kerr

Jeff told me they had drilled some in the frost recently with very good results, worth a try if reasonably light soil?

pylon dodger

Thought about it thismorning but got talked out of it, wasted enough money in seed time and fuel already this backend. Would have done a bit if not for rain forcast tomorrow thought its better in the bag

strip-till-phil

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Jeff told me they had drilled some in the frost recently with very good results, worth a try if reasonably light soil?
    If it was recently how does he know the results yet

I too have wasted in time, fuel and seed this backend and 'trying it' now seems like a massive gamble to me as far as this cropping year is concerned

Krampeman

How can a spring tine offer precision seed placement in frozen conditions. You must be mad to even try it and might as well flush the seed down the bog.

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by strip-till-phil View Post

I too have wasted in time, fuel and seed this backend and 'trying it' now seems like a massive gamble to me as far as this cropping year is concerned
    Unless you're confident of getting >2t/ha sowing now, wait until Spring & sow in warmer soil, then the plant will expend all its energy in growing.

Cropper

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    Unless you're confident of getting >2t/ha sowing now, wait until Spring & sow in warmer soil, then the plant will expend all its energy in growing.
    +1 I would think seed going in the ground now has got 2 1/2 months of sitting in cold wet soil before its going to find any warmth during which time it will rot, be eaten by rooks, be eaten by slugs or just die. Wait til Jan and it'll only have to wait 1 1/2 months

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by strip-till-phil View Post

I think he was talking in terms of seed coverage and tilth achieved, no one can tell much more than that as yet?I think Billy on here may have seen it?

Personally i have no inclination to drill in these conditions!

shakerator

i would definately not do this

thaw then wet then back to square 1 minus 100/ha