Thread: Mounted tine drill

will7

Mounted tine drill

Would a mounted drill with parallel linkage coulters (eg a dale eco-drill coulter) work and if not why not?

The seed hopper would be mounted on the drill frame to provide some ballast.

Any thoughs would be greatly appreciated.

Will

FarmerDan

Re: Mounted tine drill

Quote Originally Posted by will7 View Post
    Would a mounted drill with parallel linkage coulters (eg a dale eco-drill coulter) work and if not why not?

Will
    I'm sure Dale must have given it a go.

They make a mounted tine drill, with rigid tines, and have surely considered parallel linkages. Maybe there's a reason they opted for rigid tines?

I would have thought there's a market for a direct tine drill with an opening disc, tine coulter and guttler closing wheel on parallel linkages with adjustable down pressure, yet no-one makes one. Strange.

Jim Bullock

Do you mean something like this..?

Spud

Looks a good simple drill that Jim. What I struggle to grasp on the majority of the dd/strip til drills is the likely wear in the linkages a few years down the line, especially at the frame end. The other thing is, given the simplicity, how can they be so bloody dear??

Clive

Interesting looking drill Jim

Jim Bullock

The drill is manufactured by Jean-Charles Renaudat whom you may remember used to be Farmer Focus writer for Farmers Weekly. He farms in central France and has been involved in min-till/no-till for at least 20 years.
    The important part of the drill(coulters) are made in Canada and the seed hopper is I think Italian...But Jean-Charles main business is now supplying "cover and co-crop" seeds which indicates the way one has to go if you are to be a sucessful direct-driller. I was introduced to Jean-Charles by Kuhn because he was like us one of the first users of a Kuhn SD 4000 back in the nineties, he has moved on.. and I think his experiences yet again show us the way forward (tined drills for western Europe). He also manufactures and sells straw rakes into France and other European countries.
    http://www.eco-mulch.com/eco-mulch/?langueChp=en

will7

Thanks Jim, just what I had in mind.

Have you seen it in the flesh? If so what was the build quality like and do you know which linkage units he was using?

Fran Loake

Quote Originally Posted by will7 View Post

Will

Have you spoken to the very helpful Dales? They make a mounted drill and may have tried the eco coulter on it.

will7

Fran,

I have had a preliminary chat with them which was encouraging. Like all British Drill manufacturers they seem very busy at the moment and there will be a lot of design time required in this project.

At least I now know that the principle works.

Will

Clive

Why so keen to mount it ? Surely trailed is better anyway ?

will7

If it is mounted it will be allow a more versatile system. Ie it can be mounted on the back of a little tractor to go drilling in previously worked land, or on the back of the cultivator for one pass drilling.

This is only a principle/idea at the moment.