Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4X4 for 6 people

PDR-Draughting

4X4 for 6 people

Afternoon all.

I am currently looking at the different options for a replacement vehicle and have been eyeing up a Volvo XC90. Requirements are it needs to carry 6 people and be a 4x4. Are there many other options out there?

Anyone got an XC90 and care to offer their opinion about it? Or if you have or can suggest an alternative to the XC90 then please do.

Probably looking at buying a 3 year old model.

Cheers
    Phil

scrambler

Re: 4X4 for 6 people

I bought a new XC90 R Design back in June '10. It makes an excellent family bus and drives very well for a 4x4. The third row of seats are quite cramped for an adult, so try before you buy. I was going to buy a 2 or 3 year old one, but the huge discounts on a new one made it make more sense to buy new. Mine has 185 hp and feels quick enough for the type of car it is. In early 2012 they tweaked the engine to put out 200ish hp.
    The alternative for me would have been a LR Disco 4. I tried one but it didn't handle as well as the R Design, probably due to its weight. The huge road tax bill put me off as well. Oh, and Mrs Scrambler didn't like the look of it.

Cowabunga

The only ones that will satisfy six adults are the Discovery and Mercedes GL. These have the most generous rear with sumps for the feet. All others that I can think of apart from the Shogun don't have sumps, which make them supremely cramped and uncomfortable for all but the shortest trips with anything taller than midgets. That even applies to the Land Cruiser Amazon.

PDR-Draughting

What is the 'boot' space like in a discovery once the rear seats are up? Lots of leg room is not that important at the moment as 4 of the 6 occupants are children, the the oldest being 7. The XC90 seems to have some boot space with the rear seats up and with 4 kids we need as much room as possible.

Currently have an smax which has very little space when the back seats are up and its rather frustrating.

Obviously a bit of self control would have solved the issue but its a bit late for that now

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by PDR-Draughting View Post
    What is the 'boot' space like in a discovery once the rear seats are up? Lots of leg room is not that important at the moment as 4 of the 6 occupants are children, the the oldest being 7. The XC90 seems to have some boot space with the rear seats up and with 4 kids we need as much room as possible.

Currently have an smax which has very little space when the back seats are up and its rather frustrating.

Obviously a bit of self control would have solved the issue but its a bit late for that now
    None of them have very much space at all with all seats in use. The slight difference is between bugger-all and slightly more than bugger-all.
    But some have split rear seats, so three could be in the middle row with one in the back with luggage/shopping to the side.

Don't forget that they grow quickly.

jumbojimbo

we have a nissan pathfinder 7 seats not to bad on fuel (26 to 28mpg) able to pull a good sized trailer rear seats not much leg room but ok for short trips or for kids and all the seats fold into the floor so loads of carrying space when needed.

Mayo

The Volvo will be ok for small kids to sit in the back, the Disco will carry adults well though.
    My concern though would be just how safe are they in the back during an end on crash?

Could look at something American and imported if you really wanted to be different. Ford/Chevvy make a range of these things. Won't ever be a Disco but never mind.

Beyond that, you're looking at those VW things based on what is really a transit van. You see goons with alloys and tinted windows and bull bars about. About as cool as a man with pink hair extensions.

scrambler

I believe the XC90 is the only one where the third row is within the "safety cell" and not the crumple zone. So a rear end shunt doesn't squash anyone. It also has air bags for the third row.

PDR-Draughting

Scrambler, thanks for that. Good to know as the third row is a worry. I take it you are happy with your purchase then?

scrambler

Scrambler, thanks for that. Good to know as the third row is a worry. I take it you are happy with your purchase then?
    Yes. It does what it says on the tin. They have been around for something like 10 years with very few changes, so if they had any problems initially, they are well sorted by now.

happycows

as duck has said....
    there is not that much room behind the back seats on a disco. enough for a small stroller pushchair or a couple of shopping bags. we have 6 to carry aswell and if you only put up one back seat you can do a big food shop and carry 6 ok.

if you need loads os space then the only thing we found was going for a van derived one with 6 seat.

scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    as duck has said....
    there is not that much room behind the back seats on a disco. enough for a small stroller pushchair or a couple of shopping bags. we have 6 to carry aswell and if you only put up one back seat you can do a big food shop and carry 6 ok.

if you need loads os space then the only thing we found was going for a van derived one with 6 seat.
    I'm starting to sound like a Volvo salesman, but I'll just say that with all the seats up in the XC90 there is still room in the back for 5 good sized Supermarket bags standing side by side. They fit so well it's almost as if it were designed that way on purpose. I've heard it said that Women had a lot of input into the design.

Rob Holmes

My mate's just had a Hyundi Santa Fe, and he loves it, he had Volvo and Mazda on demo and liked them but prefered the Hyundi, Got all the bells and whistles on including rear camera for less money than other 2.
    It has 7 movable seats, the ones in the boot even have their own footwells.
    He loves it and the new styling.. it looks the part too
    Even with road tyres on, he says it does a good job off road too

5 years warranty too

Also, our local machinery rep has had 2 and has really liked both of them

lamplighter2

had a disco 300tdi boot space was rubbish when rear seat up had a job to get a buggy in. looked at a lot of the LR range and all the same unles you go for a defender 110 or 130 but thats not a car but a tank tried most vauxall.ford/seat alhambra all as bad. i know its not much help but only thing i found but only takes 5 was a double cab pickup at least you can get buggies in back ok. if you find something which takes 6 ok with car seats and can put buggies in back be interested.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter2 View Post
    had a disco 300tdi boot space was rubbish when rear seat up had a job to get a buggy in. looked at a lot of the LR range and all the same unles you go for a defender 110 or 130 but thats not a car but a tank tried most vauxall.ford/seat alhambra all as bad. i know its not much help but only thing i found but only takes 5 was a double cab pickup at least you can get buggies in back ok. if you find something which takes 6 ok with car seats and can put buggies in back be interested.
    Mercedes GL.

Just.

Bromb

We had this dilema recently and thought the XC90 was the one for us but our friends had an Audi Q8 which we all went to Yorkshire in and I was so impressed we went and test drove and bought a 2 year old one a couple of weeks later. Yes you are going to get your leg pulled and yes its not the best looking car but we can get three kids seats a buggy and a shed load of shopping in the back. Even with the back row of seats up there is still plenty of room. Had a Disco 3 and never again due to reliability and the it's not got half the space that the Q8 has

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Bromb View Post
    We had this dilema recently and thought the XC90 was the one for us but our friends had an Audi Q8 which we all went to Yorkshire in and I was so impressed we went and test drove and bought a 2 year old one a couple of weeks later. Yes you are going to get your leg pulled and yes its not the best looking car but we can get three kids seats a buggy and a shed load of shopping in the back. Even with the back row of seats up there is still plenty of room. Had a Disco 3 and never again due to reliability and the it's not got half the space that the Q8 has

Is it a Q7 or an A8? It is certainly not a Q8, which is a brand of fuel as far as I know.

If it is a Q7, yours must be a special long version because mine has pretty dismal luggage room with the rear seats up.
    Although the A8 is a 4x4, I've only ever seen four and five seater ones.

Mayo

He must mean the Q7, the Q8 isn't out yet.

harrisonion

No mention of an X5?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonion View Post
    No mention of an X5?
    X5 is great. There is a 7 seat version, but again the luggage space with rear seats up is dismal.

If anyone does go shopping for an X5, bare in mind that the popular 'Sport' suspension is mis-named. It should be 'No' suspension.

Mayo

The X5 is no SUV. It's a jacked up 5 series.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    The X5 is no SUV. It's a jacked up 5 series.
    Apart from the rather emasculated suspension it could be argued that it is a jacked-down Range Rover. It doesn't have a range gearbox either, but otherwise mine had 80% or more of its non-bodyshell and trim parts in common with my later Range Rover.

The more powerful twin-turbo engine certainly qualifies it for the 'Sport' part of SUV while the estate-car-like body and towing ability qualifies it as 'Utility'.

So, yes, it must be an SUV.

harrisonion

I've been debating this in my mind for several months also. I've got a Volvo XC90 and have had it for 4 years. It was 3 years old when I bought it, 48k on the clock and I got it for 12.5k.Its now done 105k and I'm thinking of changing it while I can (due to potato prices)
    My wife drives it everyday, and I drive it about 2 times a week. It's a 2006 model and has the lower road tax.

I have 3 children under 10 and like the seating arrangement in the Volvo, it is very handy with the pop up booster seat in the centre.Having the extra seats means they can bring a couple of friends home if they want. There's still enough room in the boot to get shopping in as well.

The down sides are the performance, I think my fendt vario has more acceleration! It has at least 1-2k spent on it each year with servicing and wearing parts. It's getting rather dated looking inside especially.

We want to keep the 7 seats, the 4x4 and spend around 35k max

Options pros/cons for us-

A new Volvo XC90
    Pros: New car,they've tweaked the engine and altered the styling slightly.
    Cons: Same car as I've got, old fashioned, poor performance, resale value in 3 years or so.

BMW X5
    Pros: Performance,build, mechanics, looks good
    Cons: Would be 2-3 yrs old, cramped back 3rd row, a bit chavish?

Audi Q7
    Pros: Good size inside
    Cons: Too bloody big to park,ugly

Merc GL
    Pros: Build quality, uniqueness,
    Cons: bloody huge, ugly looking, might attract a scratch or two, bloody expensive and probably couldn't afford one anyway!

LR discovery
    Pros: good size inside, off road capability
    Cons:Reliability, ugly, too big.

I'm going to take the family for a trip out between Christmas and new year to have a few test drives and see what happens!

HAM135

I've been debating this in my mind for several months also. I've got a Volvo XC90 and have had it for 4 years. It was 3 years old when I bought it, 48k on the clock and I got it for 12.5k.Its now done 105k and I'm thinking of changing it while I can (due to potato prices)
    My wife drives it everyday, and I drive it about 2 times a week. It's a 2006 model and has the lower road tax.

I have 3 children under 10 and like the seating arrangement in the Volvo, it is very handy with the pop up booster seat in the centre.Having the extra seats means they can bring a couple of friends home if they want. There's still enough room in the boot to get shopping in as well.

The down sides are the performance, I think my fendt vario has more acceleration! It has at least 1-2k spent on it each year with servicing and wearing parts. It's getting rather dated looking inside especially.

A new Volvo XC90
    Cons: Same car as I've got, old fashioned, poor performance, resale value in 3 years or so.

BMW X5

Audi Q7

Merc GL
    Cons: bloody huge, ugly looking, might attract a scratch or two, bloody expensive and probably couldn't afford one anyway!

LR discovery

I'm going to take the family for a trip out between Christmas and new year to have a few test drives and see what happens!
    Some terrific deals on X5's at the moment,just bought one and got 13k discount and got 2k more for our trade in than anyone else was offering.

harrisonion

Quote Originally Posted by HAM135 View Post
    Some terrific deals on X5's at the moment,just bought one and got 13k discount and got 2k more for our trade in than anyone else was offering.
    Which model? I was thinking if I went for a BMW it would be a SE spec3 or 4L diesel.

Did you try anything else? Do you have the 3rd row seating?

HAM135

Which model? I was thinking if I went for a BMW it would be a SE spec3 or 4L diesel.

Did you try anything else? Do you have the 3rd row seating?
    3.0d xdrive sport,doesn't have third row of seats as we have a disco 4 as well if we need more seating,X5 is my wifes car but i still prefer the disco to drive,bit more settled on the road.

Cowabunga

A new Volvo XC90

BMW X5

Audi Q7

Merc GL

LR discovery

I tried the Volvo a couple of years ago as I really wanted to like it and support my local dealer whose owner lives next but one to a house of mine. I didn't like it compared to my Q7. It felt narrow in the cab with extremely bulky doors and the engine was underpowered and noisy. But the Volvo is very good value in terms of metal for your money. Indeed after discount at that time it was cheaper than a more modern XC60.

I don't find either Q7 or Disco ugly, although did think that of the Disco3 for a couple of years when introduced but it seems to have grown on me, unlike the RR Sport which looks very chavish. I have little problem parking the Q7 although it isn't exactly compact and bijou.

GL has too many creases in the panels for my liking and tends towards the fuggly as a result. It certainly hasn't got the class of some rivals. Don't kid yourself about build quality either as it only just scrapes above average on that score. It is slightly longer than a Q7 but substantially taller. I would have one in a heartbeat. They can be found now with about average milage, say 70,000, for 25,000 or so apparently.

A Disco4 should be as reliable as a Volvo. I had a Range Rover around 2004/5 that was as reliable as any car that I've ever had and better built than any bar none.

Am currently looking, half-heartedly, at something to replace the Audi with. Don't need a seven seater. Am just as confused as you as to what to get. Might just keep what I've got for a few more years because it is not a priority by any means. One fine day I will just see what I want and go for it. That is what I did when I bought the Audi.

PDR-Draughting

harrisonion this is what you need

harrisonion

harrisonion this is what you need
    Looks abit like a Spam tin! How would you fit 9 in there?

They are abit of a cult classic though.

drumachie1

X5 for me back seats are tight though only any good for kids average fuel for a year is 31 mpg
    Only down side is it is just a grown up go cart fantastic handling for an SUV ( better than my old Audi Quattro )
    The Toyota has far more room in the back and far smoother over bumps but only gets 27 mpg and has more tax to pay ( looks like an old mans car though)