Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4X4 for 6 people

Mayo

Re: 4X4 for 6 people

They do look good in white. I am not sure that black alloys suit any car though.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    They do look good in white. I am not sure that black alloys suit any car though.
    They go well with black glass, especially if it is used for dealing drugs or pimping.

Chae

Haha! Mines black with black alloys. I was just wanting the stormer alloys and some black ones came up locally on gum tree. Got them for 400 with as new tyres! The guy selling them seemed desperate for cash. I must admit I do think they look Abit shit sometimes. When the tyres are done on them I ll get them powder coated a different colour. Got the 19 inch silver ones on again now as the tyres on them are more suited to winter.

Rob

If specing a new disco, ensure you spec the electric seats as the manual ones awful. Also the passenger seat has no height adjustment which will annoy short passengers...
    I'd also ensure you spec the xenon lights as standard halogen are very poor.As for satnav. It is not very good either, postcodes take along time to enter as the screen is so slow.

despite all this, I love mine.... 8 speed auto box is a pleasure....

Penmoel

We have had two discovery's from new, one in 96, which we changed 3 years later with 70 odd thousand on it, bought a 12 month old ES with 12,000 miles on it, to replace it and were very pleased with.

Went for a new one again in 2002 with performance chip and whatever on it, replaced that again with a 12 month old ES Premium, 6000 miles, with all the toys as standard. Best Disco we have had out of 5 of them.

You do take quite a hit with a new one on depreciation and the price they are now, I dont honestly want to be spendinding 40-50k on a car, even if it is workhorse as well. We bought a RR Sport HSE last, 2 years old with 25k mileage at half the price it was new, and no more 's than a top spec Ford Ranger pick up would be. Thankfully dont need 7 seats now.

Take a look at the LR website for good secondhands, less than 12 months old and low mileage anywhere in the country, weve bought in Basingstoke,Guildford and Carlilse of the web, local dealer Cambrian, is good and give me a good service even though we bought the secondhands eleswhere.

HAM135

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    We have had two discovery's from new, one in 96, which we changed 3 years later with 70 odd thousand on it, bought a 12 month old ES with 12,000 miles on it, to replace it and were very pleased with.

Went for a new one again in 2002 with performance chip and whatever on it, replaced that again with a 12 month old ES Premium, 6000 miles, with all the toys as standard. Best Disco we have had out of 5 of them.

You do take quite a hit with a new one on depreciation and the price they are now, I dont honestly want to be spendinding 40-50k on a car, even if it is workhorse as well. We bought a RR Sport HSE last, 2 years old with 25k mileage at half the price it was new, and no more 's than a top spec Ford Ranger pick up would be. Thankfully dont need 7 seats now.

Take a look at the LR website for good secondhands, less than 12 months old and low mileage anywhere in the country, weve bought in Basingstoke,Guildford and Carlilse of the web, local dealer Cambrian, is good and give me a good service even though we bought the secondhands eleswhere.

Wouldn't agree on the depreciation,we changed 2yr old Disco4 with 25000mls on it for a new one same spec for 6500,doubt if there is any other 4x4 that would hold it's value that well,it was also due a service and just about needing a set of tyres.

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by HAM135 View Post
    Wouldn't agree on the depreciation,we changed 2yr old Disco4 with 25000mls on it for a new one same spec for 6500,doubt if there is any other 4x4 that would hold it's value that well,it was also due a service and just about needing a set of tyres.

That was a good deal, and well worth doing. There is a lot of truth in it being the first new one that hurts the most and change often thereafter. It was about 10k to change from a 3 yr old with 65k to a new one 2002, not bad then and about the same as yours above, just over 3k a year to have a new quality vehicle on warrranty for three years.

When the new model Disco 3 came in it suddenly became 20k to change at 3 years old. With a good secondhand residual value on the Disco 4 the cost to change may stay low.

Just had a quick look on the approved LR site, there are 7 Disco 4 HSE's less than 2 year old with less than 20k miles for 35,000- 40,000

PDR-Draughting

Does anyone with a 7 seat disco fancy putting up a picture of the 'boot' with the rear seats up?

Also Duck, how about one of the q7?

Thanks

mf550

Quote Originally Posted by PDR-Draughting View Post
    Does anyone with a 7 seat disco fancy putting up a picture of the 'boot' with the rear seats up?

Also Duck, how about one of the q7?

Thanks

Take a look at interior seating arrangements here, not a lot of room behind the 7 seats, look at the videos on flexible seating arrangements.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/di...os-and-videos/

Cowabunga

It is only brief but what you want is at 1 minute 20 seconds in.

[YOUTUBE]jPI_gq1NYNg[/YOUTUBE]

PDR-Draughting

Cheers for the links.

The Audi Q7 looks reasonable, would you agree in reality cowabunga?

Cowabunga

Cheers for the links.

The Audi Q7 looks reasonable, would you agree in reality cowabunga?
    Let me put it this way. The more people you have inside, the more luggage space you need and that space is seldom big enough. But as previously mentioned, travelling six-up does give the option of three people in the second row and one in the back with one side given over to luggage, which generally gives ample space. That applies to all of the others as well of course, although the Volvo might be a tad uncomfortable in the middle of the second row iirc and due to a built-in child seat or something [not sure].

scrambler

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Let me put it this way. The more people you have inside, the more luggage space you need and that space is seldom big enough. But as previously mentioned, travelling six-up does give the option of three people in the second row and one in the back with one side given over to luggage, which generally gives ample space. That applies to all of the others as well of course, although the Volvo might be a tad uncomfortable in the middle of the second row iirc and due to a built-in child seat or something [not sure].
    One of the major advantages the Discovery and the Volvo have over there German rivals is the ease of seating three across the middle row. Especially if you are using child seats or booster cushions. In the Audi Q7 and BMW X5 (the only others I looked at) the centre seat and seat belts are just too narrow. We, and the sales people, tried every which way to seat three children safely across the middle row without success. In the Volvo and the Discovery it was easy. In fact we even managed it in a Jaguar XF. Initially I didn't want an XC90, but I had to accept it was the most suitable car for us. And the longer I have it, the more I like it.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
    One of the major advantages the Discovery and the Volvo have over there German rivals is the ease of seating three across the middle row. Especially if you are using child seats or booster cushions. In the Audi Q7 and BMW X5 (the only others I looked at) the centre seat and seat belts are just too narrow. We, and the sales people, tried every which way to seat three children safely across the middle row without success. In the Volvo and the Discovery it was easy. In fact we even managed it in a Jaguar XF. Initially I didn't want an XC90, but I had to accept it was the most suitable car for us. And the longer I have it, the more I like it.
    Can't say that anyone has mentioned it in my Q7 but I have never sat in the middle personally as I'm usually the driver. It is something to check out.

pontyboy

test drove a Q7 before the disco4, thot it was ok then test drove the disco and my mind was made up immediately.everything was better about it.plus the q7 didn't have high/low transfer box.
    as for seating 6/7 people and having loads of luggage space a mini bus maybe.

PDR-Draughting

6 people with very big load is not really needed as we have a roof box if needed for holidays etc. Main need is 2 adults and 4 kids with general shopping etc. We dont have a pushchair so no worries there. Oldest kid is 7 so rear seat room does not need to be massive.

Cowabunga

6 people with very big load is not really needed as we have a roof box if needed for holidays etc. Main need is 2 adults and 4 kids with general shopping etc. We dont have a pushchair so no worries there. Oldest kid is 7 so rear seat room does not need to be massive.
    Most of them would suit you in that case. Pick the one that you really like to drive. Make sure you get it with rear camera or parking sensors front and back at the very least as they are all big beasts.

harrisonion

Had a test drive in a Disco 4 today, made my mind up, going to go for a year old HSE in the next couple of months, just got to look out for the right one.

Definitely a step up from the Volvo XC90. Such a lovely smooth ride and the performance was very impressive for such a heavy lump.

Decided the X5 is too much a townie car and the Audi would just be too big.
    Definitely nice to have a change from a Volvo also.

PDR-Draughting

Angry Re: 4X4 for 6 people

We took a Q7 out today and have come to the conclusion the same as you. Too big (for the wife) so just a Discovery to try now. Down to the discovery and the Volvo now. I think space may be over riding factor in the end, so I am praying for a tardis boot in the discovery.....

harrisonion

We took a Q7 out today and have come to the conclusion the same as you. Too big (for the wife) so just a Discovery to try now. Down to the discovery and the Volvo now. I think space may be over riding factor in the end, so I am praying for a tardis boot in the discovery.....
    We are just a one car family and my wife uses the car the most. I only drive it at the weekend so it's got to suit her more than me.

In regard to the boot size I would say there wasn't much between the Volvo and the disco. Volvo seems wider but with a lower roof, disco seemed narrower with a higher roof. Both seem the same with all the seats up. I haven't compared measurements.

We liked the way the doors cover the sills on the disco, so when you get out you don't get mud all over your trouser leg ( always a problem with the Volvo) but I guess if you don't live down a muddy track there probably wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Overall IMO the disco is better in every department compared to my 7 year old xc90. But they may be better now they've tweaked them? But they would have to tweak them a heck of a lot to bring them up to discovery standard. They are bringing a new xc90 out in 2015, but I can't wait that long!

Please let us know how you get on with them both.

Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread!

Krampeman

If its any use to anybody we've just finished a 3 yr, 40,000 mile lease on a GL. Brilliant car in every aspect. 100% reliable and only went to the garage for a service. It was the 350 Blue Efficiency model and averaged 27mpg on the trip over the entire mileage. In reality I think it was more like 24-25.

Did we use the 7 seats? - yes about 25% of the time
    Did we regularly fill the boot? - yes a lot of the time
    Did it tow well? - 3.5t felt like it was not even there

We also have a ML 300 on lease and the GL was nicer to drive due to the suspension. But the ML is far more nimble and nippy. In 20,000 miles its averaged 30mpg on the trip comp but again I suspect its actually a bit less in reality.

I've not gone for another Merc because there were no deals on basically, otherwise it would be Merc everytime for me. Disco is a lovely car but again over priced in the lease world. I've had a Q5 but only on a 2yr lease just in case the wife doesn't like it as she's the main driver. The Q5 is not a 4wd though by any means. It's just a higher car basically. However on a long trip I achieved 42mpg from the pumps (trip comp read 43) and its very nimble. The only thing I am not keen on is the 'stop start' and there is a very slight delay between 2nd and 3rd gear (auto box) which I am sure is a calibration.

It came complete with roof box which clips on/off so as yet we are not missing the boot space of the GL and only needed the 7 seats once so far.

A friends got the Volvo and loves it. I quite like it as well but its not as refined as a Disco or Merc.

If your buying then Disco because it will retain more money!