Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33

Thread: Trimble RTX signal

  1. #1
    NH POWER
    Guest

    Trimble RTX signal

    I am looking at the correction signals that we sell to customers, and i am after some feedback from fellow BFF members about the Trimble RTX Satellite signal. Where do you think it sits in the market, is it worth offering or are we better off selling the Omnistar HP/XP G2 signal and then VRS and RTK.
    It would be great to hear some of your thoughts.
    Please see the link below for details of the signal.
    Many thanks in advance members.

    http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/C...satellite.aspx

  2. #2
    Panzer III
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Looks very good, but like the existing Trimble solutions the cost of progressive unlocking will probably kill it stone dead.

    For the existing upgrade to RTK you need a radio module, then the unlock code for omnistar (XP and HP?), then the RTK unlock, then the RTK license. This nonsense must be losing Trimble 90% of the potential ag customers.

    I'm guessing the high precision market has stalled with the big farms that want RTK already on the bandwagon, and everyone else left out in the cold waiting (hoping) for a realistic half way house solution.

    I note that a big plus with this is that it doesn't need a wireless upgrade or mobile data.

    So, sell it to me: how much will it cost to unlock my 750, and what will the annual charge be?

    Get that right and you can do both of my 750's

    Get it wrong and it's just another meaningless option between Egnos and RTK.

  3. #3
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    I wont stay with Trimble next time, no instant factory backup in UK.
    Unlock codes and charges are a joke as already said.

    JD SF 3000 would be a better bet if non RTK IMO.

  4. #4
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Andrew,
    Not wanting to defend trimble( they are my competitor) but, did you buy your kit from A Trimble dealer or from a CNH dealer ??
    It's just that I believe you get better back up from Trimble/Topcon/ag leader importer....

  5. #5
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Can you get 'instant factory backup' from JD in the UK ?

  6. #6
    Panzer III
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Andrew,
    Not wanting to defend trimble( they are my competitor) but, did you buy your kit from A Trimble dealer or from a CNH dealer ??
    It's just that I believe you get better back up from Trimble/Topcon/ag leader importer....
    I don't want to offend anyone who might be lurking, but the CNH dealers are selling the same kit as official Trimble franchised territory dealers, but with a very healthy discount. I guess CNH are on high volume terms. The training is non existent from CNH dealers (they try their best), but for FS, Trimble manuals are the worst I have ever encountered for tech gear. For the price of the kit you would think they could provide a paper manual to keep in the cab, instead of the pi$$ poor excuse for a manual on a CD-rom -like I want to carry the lap top in the cab too.

    I don't have an 'official' dealer within 130 miles, but I have two CNH dealers within 12. And if the official dealers are as good at dealing with tech questions as they are at replying to requests for a quote ...

  7. #7
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    I cover approx 300 miles from my house/office. I only sell/ back up topcon. The poor CNH guys sell everything. You get what you pay for. Businesses don't run on good will or fresh air . Charge a fair price and offer a good service a d customers will return again and again. Undercut everyone and offer poor service and you won't get the chance to supply the second system.
    The amount of free advice available on here is astonishing. One particular JD man has saved people thousands yet asks for nothing in return.
    Work with your dealer/importer and he will work with you.
    If anyone in the southeast wants Topcon, speak to me and I'll work with my dealers to ensure you are fully backed up a d supported.
    Rob Thurkettle

  8. #8
    MrNoo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It's just that I believe you get better back up from Trimble/Topcon/ag leader importer....
    I must say that I have had excellent service from my CNH Trimble bod, any probs, just give him a call and been most helpful, we had some issues getting it all up and running (750 vrs rtk) mainly due to the sim card provider not doing what they should have done but was soon up and running.
    After having a season with Trimble VRS (Vodaphone) there were some coverage issues which I hope we will have resolved by Spring!

  9. #9
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    Can you get 'instant factory backup' from JD in the UK ?
    I spent 7 years using JD Autosteer, and always found my dealer could sort anything, so cant comment further but JD are blessed with dealer people like CP at BB and Adrian at Tuckwells who have vast experience.I wasnt talking about JD anyway.

    I can tell you that Trimble do not seem to have a resident expert in this country, they had to eventually send out someone out from Belgium to get Field IQ working for us on our sprayer. Its worrying for me that good as my dealer is,[ they tried very hard indeed to help] there is limited back up behind them in the UK.

  10. #10
    fergie35
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Andrew,
    Not wanting to defend trimble( they are my competitor) but, did you buy your kit from A Trimble dealer or from a CNH dealer ??
    It's just that I believe you get better back up from Trimble/Topcon/ag leader importer....



    As said, if you bought it from either AS communications or Soil essentials then you will get instant backup. If it's from NH dealer then it's the dealer who needs to back you up.

  11. #11
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer III View Post
    I don't want to offend anyone who might be lurking, but the CNH dealers are selling the same kit as official Trimble franchised territory dealers, but with a very healthy discount. I guess CNH are on high volume terms. The training is non existent from CNH dealers (they try their best), but for FS, Trimble manuals are the worst I have ever encountered for tech gear. For the price of the kit you would think they could provide a paper manual to keep in the dab, instead of the pi$$ poor excuse for a manual in the CD rom version -like I want to carry the lap top in the cab too.

    I don't have an 'official' dealer within 130 miles, but I have two CNH dealers within 12. And if the official dealers are as good at dealing with tech questions as they are at replying to requests for a quote ...
    Totally agree with you about Trimble manuals, we're looking into producing a paper version of our own.

  12. #12
    NH POWER
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Thank you for the feedback members,
    Panzer i am waiting for what level a 750 will have to be unlocked to, but i understand a year will be 1150 for RTX. As it is a SAT signal and not a Radio i would hope only unlock to Omnistar level. As i work for a CNH dealer in the Southern part of the UK as a PLM Specialist, it would be unfair to quote you and leave to your local dealers.
    Do members think RTX has a place? or does the RTK coverage or the improved HP/HP G2 signal not leave a place for it in the market place?
    I totally understand the comments regarding the manuals, i am looking at putting something for our owners in book form to be able to use in the field, but the question mark symbols on most of the screens on a 750 usually help with set up questions, and i make sure our customers get my number for any help.
    Cost wise, yes the unlocks make the money add up when quoting, but i feel i can be as good as the other local tractor dealers selling different colour gps equipment of the same spec.
    As far as support goes, i couldn,t fault CNH for the support i get, whether it is sales, service or training i can get a answer asap.
    GPS is a important part of the service a tractor dealer supplies these days, and the investment has to be made by the dealer to support what we sell.

  13. #13
    Panzer III
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by NH POWER View Post
    Thank you for the feedback members,
    Panzer i am waiting for what level a 750 will have to be unlocked to, but i understand a year will be 1150 for RTX. As it is a SAT signal and not a Radio i would hope only unlock to Omnistar level. As i work for a CNH dealer in the Southern part of the UK as a PLM Specialist, it would be unfair to quote you and leave to your local dealers.
    Do members think RTX has a place? or does the RTK coverage or the improved HP/HP G2 signal not leave a place for it in the market place?
    I totally understand the comments regarding the manuals, i am looking at putting something for our owners in book form to be able to use in the field, but the question mark symbols on most of the screens on a 750 usually help with set up questions, and i make sure our customers get my number for any help.
    Cost wise, yes the unlocks make the money add up when quoting, but i feel i can be as good as the other local tractor dealers selling different colour gps equipment of the same spec.
    As far as support goes, i couldn,t fault CNH for the support i get, whether it is sales, service or training i can get a answer asap.
    GPS is a important part of the service a tractor dealer supplies these days, and the investment has to be made by the dealer to support what we sell.
    NH Power, thanks for the reply. I'm very glad CNH is running with the ball on GPS. Its good kit, when it works

    RTX undoubtedly has a place, 35mm is pretty damn good.
    1150? good value? - depends on the unlock cost.

    Comparison time:
    ASSUMING its only only 1 unlock at 1400, plus 1150 per year, the cumulative cost looks like this:
    Yr1 2550
    2- 3700
    3- 4850
    4- 6000
    5- 7150

    When you look at the cost of a 3rd party base station RTK 'license' at 500 to 600, and weigh up the 1400 to unlock Omnistar, and 1400 for RTK unlock (Wireless module too?) And before you say your supplier charges you a grand for the signal, may I suggest its about time you shopped around, not all signal suppliers ask their customers to bend over

    YR1 - 3300
    2- 3800
    3- 4300
    4- 4800
    5- 5300

    Cards on the table, these costs are from memory and a while ago, when I was seriously looking at RTK, and decided that I would have done it if it wasn't for Trimble wanting 2800, just for 2 codes to unlock the 750

    But on the above calculation, no, RTX is 1800 more expensive than RTK by year 5, for a poorer quality signal.

    I think CNH need to have a long talk with Trimble about their marketing strategy. CNH must be their biggest single global customer, and these marketing techniques are just a bit shit really. Buy the unit, and then stump up for some codes to unlock its functionality, come on, FFS.

    Any way, off the soap box! My local CNH dealer does his best to sort out any issues. NH Power, I raised the point at Cereals on the NH stand that sorting out problems means a phone call to the dealer, who calls NH, and then I eventually hear back with an answer - "you need cable x to connect to y, - 50". Its like Chinese whispers, it sort of works, but its slow.
    I was directed to an Irish lad who was supposedly being trained in the dark art of Trimble Ag GPS, to be a direct contact. Did this ever come to pass?

    As for the 750, it is fairly intuitive TBH, better than the 500. But its the non screen stuff like data management that I struggle with. How do I sort out and swap AB lines from one 750 to another, or 500 to 750?
    Can I not just save machine settings in 1 menu, rather than have to input the measurements every time? (I know I'm making a really obvious mistake here)
    On the 500 especially, I name an operation ("spraying" for example), and try and name a 2nd pass with the same name in the same field, and it says 'Name Taken', or similar. So I just let it auto name at the standard 'day date hour' numbering, which is less than perfect. Etc Etc...
    You dont have to answer them here, I'm just illustrating a point.

    I tried Farmworks free ware, and I'm still none the wiser.

    If you do find a printed hand book then I would gladly pay you for it. I dont think I'm dicslexic, but I can concentrate on a paper book far better than having to scroll through a bloody .pdf document

  14. #14
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    I think NH Power is right that you will only have unlock to Omnistar level
    to recieve RTX.
    Another minus point for RTX is that it will need up to 30mins convergance time to get max accuracy, similar to Omnistar.

  15. #15
    Panzer III
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    I think NH Power is right that you will only have unlock to Omnistar level
    to recieve RTX.
    Another minus point for RTX is that it will need up to 30mins convergance time to get max accuracy, similar to Omnistar.
    In the US they have 2 levels of RTX iirc, standard (ie slow) convergence at circa $1500 pa, and fast convergence (1 to 3 minutes?) at $1800 ish.

    What's the bets that Trimble will want an extra unlock for the 'fast convergence' too

  16. #16
    philtempleton
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer III View Post
    I tried Farmworks free ware, and I'm still none the wiser.
    What were you trying to do? Let me know and I can point you in the right direction. I can only help if I'm asked

  17. #17
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    I think NH Power is right that you will only have unlock to Omnistar level
    to recieve RTX.
    Another minus point for RTX is that it will need up to 30mins convergance time to get max accuracy, similar to Omnistar.
    I think RTX maybe suits guys who dont trust mobile phone VRS yet operate too far away from fixed RTK base stations sometimes i.e contractors?

  18. #18
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    I think RTX maybe suits guys who dont trust mobile phone VRS yet operate too far away from fixed RTK base stations sometimes i.e contractors?
    Yep, you could be right.
    We'll hopefully find a guinea pig or three to give it a whirl in the spring.

  19. #19
    Against_the_grain
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    I agree with a lot of what panzer has said.
    Who would pay more money for a lower quality signal! RTK is repeatable and doesn't take 30 mins to get accurate (as RTX does)
    The manual (cd) is f***ing awful, and i didnt know that i could swap a,b lines between my 750's, and as panzer has said, when you want to spray a field for the 2nd or 3rd time you have to call it something different.

    Saying all of that the dealer back up (CNH) is good, and the guy is always at the end of the phone, and if he doesnt know the answer he will have a solution by the end of the day.

    I like trimble gear but they need to sort a few things out tbh.

  20. #20
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    why do you have to call field something different???
    can you not just create a new job in that field thus creating a new coverage map???

  21. #21
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    why do you have to call field something different???
    can you not just create a new job in that field thus creating a new coverage map???
    You don't have to rename the field, just the event.

  22. #22
    Against_the_grain
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    yes but you cant just put spraying in again once you already have, so you have to call it spraying 1, or spraying T1, T2 etc

  23. #23
    Farmer Wally
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Against_the_grain View Post
    yes but you cant just put spraying in again once you already have, so you have to call it spraying 1, or spraying T1, T2 etc
    Creating jobs is for data collection

    On a X30 if you have preformed the task in the field ie: spraying and you have not added any information for the job like what your spray rec was, weather conditions, operator and any other info which may be used in the farm office for record keeping. Just clear the coverage data for the named task ie spraying and do it again.

    Can you not do something similar on your system.?

  24. #24
    Against_the_grain
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Wally View Post

    Can you not do something similar on your system.?
    I dont know! Thats the problem with not having a manual! Maybe soemone else will know?

  25. #25
    fergie35
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Against_the_grain View Post
    I dont know! Thats the problem with not having a manual! Maybe soemone else will know?
    Can't recall if you can clear the coverage on the FMX that we have, I just change a date on the end of each event I make. Like for example "Spraying 231212" then tomorrow I would change it to "Spraying 241212" that way I get a new coverage map each time.

  26. #26
    graybo
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    You only need to change one character in any of the Client, Farm, Field,or Event boxes.
    You have to go through that page to get to the main run screen anyway so it ain't really that much of a faff.

    Is it?

  27. #27
    Against_the_grain
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Well if im spraying for the same customer, on the same farm, in the same field, doing the same job (spraying) more than once which lets face it is going to happen when spraying a field, (Autumn herbs, T1,T2 etc...), and using the same a-b lines i dont understand how to go about it...
    Do you have to put spraying 1 or spraying 2 etc in?

  28. #28
    fergie35
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by Against_the_grain View Post
    Well if im spraying for the same customer, on the same farm, in the same field, doing the same job (spraying) more than once which lets face it is going to happen when spraying a field, (Autumn herbs, T1,T2 etc...), and using the same a-b lines i dont understand how to go about it...
    Do you have to put spraying 1 or spraying 2 etc in?
    yes or just add the date like I said above, and then it's always a unique date every time you enter the field.

  29. #29
    NH POWER
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Hi Guys,
    Happy New Year, Back to the RTX signal,the receiver needs to be unlocked HP/XP level, and the cost of the subscription is 1150, So a better signal and deal than Omnistar HP/XP?

  30. #30
    fergie35
    Guest

    Re: Trimble RTX signal

    Quote Originally Posted by NH POWER View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Happy New Year, Back to the RTX signal,the receiver needs to be unlocked HP/XP level, and the cost of the subscription is 1150, So a better signal and deal than Omnistar HP/XP?
    signal price is the same as VRSRTK though which is too steep to me. I know you have another unlock to do and a modem, but the signal for anything less than RTK should cost a lot less than an RTK signal IMO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •