Thread: 5 kw wind turbines

pete

5 kw wind turbines

i know difficult to say exactly but how many kw should one be procucing? there was a good breeze today id say 5-7 m per sec and it only produced 2 kw on the meter,does this sound right?

alexsmb

Re: 5 kw wind turbines

With those wind speeds I would have thought a minimum of 1 kWh would be expected so 24 kWh for the day. I am not an expert though.

Penmoel

With most of them the 5kw is rated at an 11m sec wind speed which is about 25mph.

5-7m sec is not very fast really but it should have done more than 2kw in a day?

An hour or two of good strong wind in a day is much better than a slow breese

MyriadCEG

We don't do the Evance turbine anymore but I have just spoken to someone I know well who does.

They would expect it to turn out between 8,000-20,000/year based on 5-7m/s.

Therefore daily output should be in and around the 20kW+ mark.

RGT

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    i know difficult to say exactly but how many kw should one be procucing? there was a good breeze today id say 5-7 m per sec and it only produced 2 kw on the meter,does this sound right?
    What type of meter do you have?
    Are you counting the electric you have used yourself as well, and the 2kwhrs is exported?
    Thing is it is an on going calculation and only a snap shot of what is produced at that moment in time?

pete

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    What type of meter do you have?
    Are you counting the electric you have used yourself as well, and the 2kwhrs is exported?
    Thing is it is an on going calculation and only a snap shot of what is produced at that moment in time?
    I think the 2kw was what it produced total as it adds it all for the fit payments!

pete

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    With most of them the 5kw is rated at an 11m sec wind speed which is about 25mph.

5-7m sec is not very fast really but it should have done more than 2kw in a day?

An hour or two of good strong wind in a day is much better than a slow breese
    Was blowing trees about today but still only managed to top out at 3kw on the red box, its amazing how huch it fluctuates! Think its coming down to check blades and put a wind tester up!

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by MyriadCEG View Post
    We don't do the Evance turbine anymore but I have just spoken to someone I know well who does.

They would expect it to turn out between 8,000-20,000/year based on 5-7m/s.

Therefore daily output should be in and around the 20kW+ mark.
    Our windspeed is 6.2m/s, since installation in late march it has now averaged 24.5kw a day, its best week was just over 318, lowest was just 54. Had hoped for 10-12,000 in the year.

I think some of the figures now being quoted are optimistic to say the least, yes there are Evance in the Orkneys or Western Isles doing 17,000kw but not around here.

I think the 2kw was what it produced total as it adds it all for the fit payments!
    Presumably the figure of 2kw is what you have read of the calibrated production meter?

Was blowing trees about today but still only managed to top out at 3kw on the red box, its amazing how huch it fluctuates! Think its coming down to check blades and put a wind tester up!
    From March to June ours did over 200 units a week 8 times, yet from June to November only twice over 200, I asked for the 3 month service which it had not had to be done, which it was last week, ironically the week before the service was the best week it has had.

Take a look at this spreadsheet given on an earlier thread, there are some Evance at the bottom of the page.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...C82Xq-qAdpGMfw

BadLamber

Surely the 3kw will be the hourly rate. A 5kw machine should probebly manage an average of say 4kw / hr over the whole day in a decent wind. ie 96kw output for the day. My c@f 20 regularly produces around 400kw on a breezy day.

e3120

It's important to use the correct units:-

• Power is measured in kilowatts (kW)
    • Energy is measured in kilowatthours (kWh), also known as 'units'.
    The 2 are related; if a turbine produces 10kW (constantly or on average)for 24 hours, it will do 240kWh in a day.

This thread shows the importance of getting the units correct. If the 5kW turbine does 2kW (instantaneously) in 5-6 m/s winds, then this sounds absolutely sensible and it should achieve 48 kWh per day. If it only delivers 2kWh in a day, that is only 0.08kW and I'd be asking some questions...

Sorry to be fussy on the terminology, I was a scientist in a former life. My (lowland) endurance has just completed its best day yet at 1700 units - long may it continue!

Wild Oat

My (lowland) endurance has just completed its best day yet at 1700 units - long may it continue![/QUOTE]

Dam, thought mine was a record......just done 1668 units!

pete

Quote Originally Posted by e3120 View Post
    It's important to use the correct units:-

• Power is measured in kilowatts (kW)
    • Energy is measured in kilowatthours (kWh), also known as 'units'.
    The 2 are related; if a turbine produces 10kW (constantly or on average)for 24 hours, it will do 240kWh in a day.

This thread shows the importance of getting the units correct. If the 5kW turbine does 2kW (instantaneously) in 5-6 m/s winds, then this sounds absolutely sensible and it should achieve 48 kWh per day. If it only delivers 2kWh in a day, that is only 0.08kW and I'd be asking some questions...

Sorry to be fussy on the terminology, I was a scientist in a former life. My (lowland) endurance has just completed its best day yet at 1700 units - long may it continue!
    So is the fit payment per kw or kwh ? That's the bottom line!

e3120

You're correct - only the bottom line is important. Its the kWh that's relevant for the FITs, 20 something pence each, depending on the kW. That's why it's the long game that's important - mine might have done 1742 yesterday but only 10 on Mon and 10 more on Tue. We have to take the rough with the smooth...

pete

The meter is a Landis + Gyr and is KWh so looks like there is somthing wrong! Or at least I hope there is or it will never pay for its self! 68 kwh in 2 weeks can't be right!? To top it off all the lights on on the red box today ! Hope its teething troubles!

Exfarmer

It is not possible to comment on output without knowing the site
    But 68 kwh (units) in two weeks does not look good
    You are certain this the total output
    I would speak to the supplier quickly if it is still in warrantee
    We have had some good windy days in E Anglia lately but there have also been several still days

pete

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    We have had some good windy days in E Anglia lately but there have also been several still days
    For sure there hasn't been a lot of wind of late but I do hope there is a problem! Sure it will get sorted! I have been assured a anonimeter is coming here to see that it is producing correctly

pete

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    For sure there hasn't been a lot of wind of late but I do hope there is a problem! Sure it will get sorted! I have been assured a anonimeter is coming here to see that it is producing correctly but as you say I need to compare output with windspeed!

RGT

Is the brake on?
    Or part on ?

pete

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Is the brake on?
    Or part on ?
    Is that possible? Will ask them when they come!