Thread: Nitrogen Source Under DD Regime

Robert

Nitrogen Source Under DD Regime

What are peoples' views on the best N source in a no till system. With no tillers presumeably thinking harder about their soils and their biology, i wonder if more go towards urea as a supposedly friendlier N source which is also less leachable. Is there too much scaremongering about volatilisation?

Willscale

Re: Nitrogen Source Under DD Regime

Urea and AS here.

Though I'm toying with ditching As and putting on sulphur differently.

Also toying with using the local spoke wheel injector guy with liquid AS. But application costs would be about 10/acre more than broadcast so not really sat down and though about it yet.

If i'm being honest I don't thick it matters a massive deal what source you use, they all have pro's and con's but good urea always seems better value than AN.

Kentish_Andy

Big subject to which I have not any clear answers yet. I am not sure that any of the main sources of N are better or worse for the soil than other (maybe AS is kinder?), I am guessing if you look at the salt index of them that would give you some indication. I look at it more from a plants perspective, which N does the plant need and it is rarely nitrate (promotes disease, insect attack and lodging). That is why we are going away from AN unless we need a quick hit of N to boost a crop. In terms of volatilisation of Urea. I have heard mixed reports so can not comment. I do not think I will be applying Urea as my last dose on wheat, maybe coated urea? I think in DD it is more about timing of N. Certain crops will want N in with the seed to overcome lack of mineralisation. If using AS and urea you probably want to be applying earlier in the spring compared to AN. I will be hopefully trying a new liquid product this year which will hopefully overcome all the problems above but have no details yet. In terms of CULTAN that Will is talking about, great in theory but it is the practical side I can not get my head around in this country especially as AS is no longer a waste but an expensive product.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by Kentish_Andy View Post
    Big subject to which I have not any clear answers yet. I am not sure that any of the main sources of N are better or worse for the soil than other (maybe AS is kinder?), I am guessing if you look at the salt index of them that would give you some indication. I look at it more from a plants perspective, which N does the plant need and it is rarely nitrate (promotes disease, insect attack and lodging). That is why we are going away from AN unless we need a quick hit of N to boost a crop. In terms of volatilisation of Urea. I have heard mixed reports so can not comment. I do not think I will be applying Urea as my last dose on wheat, maybe coated urea? I think in DD it is more about timing of N. Certain crops will want N in with the seed to overcome lack of mineralisation. If using AS and urea you probably want to be applying earlier in the spring compared to AN. I will be hopefully trying a new liquid product this year which will hopefully overcome all the problems above but have no details yet. In terms of CULTAN that Will is talking about, great in theory but it is the practical side I can not get my head around in this country especially as AS is no longer a waste but an expensive product.
    Agree on salt
    Also agree on nitrate comments.
    Koch Urea coating may have negative biological effects.

This bloke doesn't call it Cultan, just liquid injection. Apparently a few grassland boys round here use it but it will mean 6m wheelings.

Would be interesting to try?

Its a tricky area really and I think a variety of types means you can get it a bit right and a bit wrong!

ps not really worried about volatilisation I think its overstated in our climate

Hartwig

If I remember it right, it was discussed here some month ago that urea in a DD system would mean high loss as N2 (?) because of high biological activity in the top inch ?? I think it was a research from canada.
    Anybody remembers and can find the old thread ??

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Urea and AS here.

Though I'm toying with ditching As and putting on sulphur differently.

Also toying with using the local spoke wheel injector guy with liquid AS. But application costs would be about 10/acre more than broadcast so not really sat down and though about it yet.

If i'm being honest I don't thick it matters a massive deal what source you use, they all have pro's and con's but good urea always seems better value than AN.
    The important thing with urea is to get it on when the ambient temperature is low, generally this means early in Spring. S applied as elemental sulphur. It may be that coated urea will be the way to Maximise fertilizer efficiency that's not to say that AS should be ignored, particularly as a late application.

York

just a brief reply on this very broad topic.
    you have to start with your soil, look on the Ca:Mg ratio, the EC, the pH and on which crop you want to go. Then look at plant physiology, it prefers Ammonium N before it takes nitrate or Urea. Urea is the "worst" of all, if taken up as urea, for all sorts of calamities.
    What did a fertilser researcher say: the good with Urea is, as higher the pH as more is lost, as less harm it can make. :-) I leave it at this point.
    Cultan: it matter very much which fertiliser, or mix you use. Unfortunately peple get it mixed up and it's fair that the Welsh contractor, 3 of them units should be there working, is not using the word Cultan. I mean he was around even before the word CULTAN was around. Cultan stands for: controlled uptake longterm Ammonim Nutrition. So that limits nitrate in the system - used fertiliser, or? Also it stands for: placement.
    Now , I wouldn't be bothered to much about the higher cost. If one right you will have a return which is much more than this investment. the topic is: it must be done right!
    Start will be a thorough reading & understanding of the basic Cultan reading in English, the so called Kaliningrad Paper" http://www.cultan.de/inhalt/pdf/CULT...gsberg_eng.pdf
    York-Th.