Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Claydon hybrid wet weather kit

agricontract

Claydon hybrid wet weather kit

Claydon have come up with a wet weather twin tine kit for the hybrid it looks like it solves the problem of the seed in the wet channel left by the front tine in sticky ground
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkckOhJJu38&sns=em

Rob Holmes

Re: Claydon hybrid wet weather kit

I've seen it and like it... i've already enquired! Only able to fit Hybrid drill :cry:

agricontract

I wish they had told me I have just bought a plough :cry:

Wombat

Doesn't look that wet.

Joe Boy

The best direct drill in the wet is the aitchison, the Claydon moves to much soil to be any good in the wet so being able to change the tines over to be lower disturbance makes a lot of sense to me. What sort of row spacing does it give?

Looks plenty wet enough to me, I would have thought the tractor wheelings would show up in that crop, a least it was going though.

Clive

No one can deny the stats on that vid are impressive !

3700ac with one drill in a season like this is frankly an amazing achievement regardless of your preference for establishment method !

pylon dodger

Sounds great, but how many of those acres will be any good ?

Badshot

I would like to know the cropping split of those 3700 acres and how many acres have actually made it. I could have drilled a lot more myself but there was no point as it was doomed to fail with slug activity as it was. Some close by to me would agree with that wholeheartedly. There is a difference in drilling and getting it established. Oh and the blackgrass levels in the early drilled stuff (pre 23rd September).
    The fields with the least slug activity are actually the 2 I drilled with the old combi before it went bang.

I like the spring tine conversion though, simple.

bigol

I am no expert at direct drilling but why are claydon designing a wet weather kit.Surely you are doing more damage traveling on wet soil to plant seed that will just rot in the ground.Why do farmers want to waste time,money and expensive fuel. The kit wants leaving in the shed till next feb.

strip-till-phil

Quote Originally Posted by pylon dodger View Post
    Sounds great, but how many of those acres will be any good ?
    That's right...does it stop the rain after drilling, not convinced myself

Just because it's in the ground doesn't mean it's safe

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by bigol View Post
    I am no expert at direct drilling but why are claydon designing a wet weather kit.Surely you are doing more damage traveling on wet soil to plant seed that will just rot in the ground.Why do farmers want to waste time,money and expensive fuel. The kit wants leaving in the shed till next feb.
    It's a 'one pass' drill so they do need to be able to run in all conditions. Very pleased I had not got a claydon this year though as it struggled in a dry year here so now I would be sat on nothing drilled instead of 90% in the ground and growing well

Richard

Looked like slug heaven to me, I know of some fields where every seed would be hollowed in 3 days.

agricontract

Why does every one think it will be dry in February every other year it's not and we are all waiting for it to just dry enough just to put firt on

strip-till-phil

Our SR drill has produced unbelievable results over the last 3 years but this year we have had no natural 'cracking' of ground which we usually get at some point in the year but not this 75% of drilled wheat written off and maybe 30 to 40 % O.S.R.:cry:
    I will learn from it and battle on

If it's wet enough to need a special kit I wouldn't want to be drilling

Krampeman

Pretty sure Phil if you got the plough and combi out you soul have crop now.

strip-till-phil

Looking around all my neighbours crops I think so too

Mate's taking piss bigtime and I'm now known as no-crop-phil

Like I said I will learn from it and battle on

I won't be looking to change the drill as it saves us in 'normal' years

Krampeman

Quote Originally Posted by strip-till-phil View Post

No but you can buy a well used combi for 2.5k and plough for similar, so 5k and you've got your backup plan. They'll always be worth what you pay for them.

strip-till-phil

Lee, Iv'e got a 6 furrow plough and 4m combi in the shed but was married to Claydon due to 3 year success going through divorce now

York

Lee, Iv'e got a 6 furrow plough and 4m combi in the shed but was married to Claydon due to 3 year success going through divorce now
    If you ever where married you would have got rid of the other kit.
    I would call that more like being a form of:
    Polygamy (from πολύς γάμος polys gamos, translated literally in Late Greek as "many married")[1] is a marriage which includes more than two partners
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy

I think it's way to early to make a decision. Because even if you have a poor looking one it doesn't say it will not yield. And even a good spring wheat did outperform a not good winter wheat over here in quite a lot of cases.
    so let's be patient till the combine comes.
    York-Th.

Fran Loake

I reckon that if we had ploughed the wheat ground this year (we usually do) we could well have been left with an even deeper bog.

Round here there hasn't really been any successful method of establishment. Best job would have been to ignore the blackgrass threat and stick it all in over 2 days in mid september - practically impossible with a combi after ploughing on what would have been dried out furrows.

Even then it would struggle.

Rob Holmes

As Phil knows, we've dragged out the plough and combi drill... it's really emphasised how much money the Claydon (or any other DD for that matter) saves in a normal year!

Ploughing and combi drilling is very painful, we're using 4x more diesel with less than half work rates! We're only 40% drilled up ATM :cry:

The moral of the story i think is to go earlier with the Claydon

yellow belly

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Loake View Post
    I reckon that if we had ploughed the wheat ground this year (we usually do) we could well have been left with an even deeper bog.

Round here there hasn't really been any successful method of establishment. Best job would have been to ignore the blackgrass threat and stick it all in over 2 days in mid september - practically impossible with a combi after ploughing on what would have been dried out furrows.

Even then it would struggle.
    +1

inhind sight we should have started drilling wheat on 10 september when we were still in the middle of harvesting

Willscale

Agree on the timing aspect.

All wheat drilled before 10th Oct is fine, nothing spent on it yet but no weeds, not many slugs and hardly any erosion. The stuff after has drowned.

It got too cold and too wet after that. Another year would have been ok.

Just put it down to experience, don't make the same mistake twice and plan for better things. I could have ploughed I guess (even though it would have been too wet really) but farming is a long term thing and I'd have felt it would probably been a step back for what I'm trying to achieve in terms of soil structure and erosion control.

Should have left any of the winter seed in the bag after 10th of Oct, not least because it got so cold early.

Wombat

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Agree on the timing aspect.

All wheat drilled before 10th Oct is fine, nothing spent on it yet but no weeds, not many slugs and hardly any erosion. The stuff after has drowned.

It got too cold and too wet after that. Another year would have been ok.

Just put it down to experience, don't make the same mistake twice and plan for better things. I could have ploughed I guess (even though it would have been too wet really) but farming is a long term thing and I'd have felt it would probably been a step back for what I'm trying to achieve in terms of soil structure and erosion control.

Should have left any of the winter seed in the bag after 10th of Oct, not least because it got so cold early.
    The issue locally here was the 45mm we had last week of Sept, we couldn't move while Oct. Even the stuff we managed to get in on the 8th has almost gone.

The sheer volume of water between Sept and now on heavy land has been unreal, all systems locally are in a mess. Just have to put it down to one of those years

shakerator

i think this year the notion that a tine is more weatherproof than a disk has been severely tested

sure, a tine will run when a disk wont but is this a good thing? Certified seed is now 100/ha, slug pellets 15-30 in some cases this is pure money down the drain

add a residual herbicide and your getting towards the spring wheat "yield penalty"

Clive

a plough / combi used in poor conditions will still impact yields of DD land for years to come. It's not a back-up plan for anyone committed to DD but more a tool of desperation if used in wet soils

I think I would rather be sat with 100% spring cropping than damaged soil that will take many and years to sort

whats so bad about spring crops anyway ? especially compared to poor WW and OSR crops ? I have had my best GM's from spring crops before now

spring crops are the back-up plan in a wet year

strip-till-phil

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    a plough / combi used in poor conditions will still impact yields of DD land for years to come. It's not a back-up plan for anyone committed to DD but more a tool of desperation if used in wet soils
    This is 1 of the reasons I didn't want to plough and combi as it would probably knacker me for a good few years to come although plenty seem to go straight from plough system to Claydon e.t.c.

Clive

This is 1 of the reasons I didn't want to plough and combi as it would probably knacker me for a good few years to come although plenty seem to go straight from plough system to Claydon e.t.c.
    it might not seem like it Phil but for what it's worth I think you did the right thing

going from plough to Claydon etc is all very well in most year but not after the damage such a system has done to wet soils in a extreme year like this

Krampeman

Dont really think strip till drills like the claydon are saving soil because they move to much soil, so jumping in and out of them and mixing with a min till or plough system wont affect it.

If its your going down the proper DD route of cross slot, 750 etc and then altering rotation to do it properly when you need to sit on your hands and wait.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Krampeman View Post
    Dont really think strip till drills like the claydon are saving soil because they move to much soil, so jumping in and out of them and mixing with a min till or plough system wont affect it.
    I would agree in a "normal" ploughing year but the conditions that plough combi's have been used in this year the damage will have been significant and remain a problem for many year to come

and time will need to be spent to sort that next year for many

are spring crops really so bad ? I keep saying it but spring crops have in the past returned some of my best GM's

I don't think the trade like spring crops, they use less N and less ag chems and require less shiney machines as they spread workload etc - I think yet again we are guilty of believing the propaganda and all feeling like failures if we don't have green fields and everything done by the end of september