Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tractor wheel clamped!!!

Tractor wheel clamped!!!

I'm on holiday in Devon, had a phone call from home to say some jobs worth had wheel clamped our herdsman's tractor outside his house. Parked off the main road but crucially within 1m of the highway, for not displaying the free tax disc...... 250 to get clamp off, but if I go to Dvla office with proof of tax and insurance they'll refund 160......... And yes they have a picture of it and reg no. So getting my chap to chop it off means 1000 fine!

So watch out they're on a money making mission!

Re: Tractor wheel clamped!!!

Dave Applesquasher

Is that even legal?

Looks like it is on private land to me, not the road and not a pavement

Bloody jobsworths. They would know that you actually had a tax disc. Apart from telling them the above, tell them that since the tractor cannot be locked you have been advised by local plod not to keep the disc in the tractor where it could easily and quickly be stolen.

It is all about moneymaking. Taxation by the back door and making jobs for the otherwise unemployable.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post

Bloody jobsworths. They would know that you actually had a tax disc. Apart from telling them the above, tell them that since the tractor cannot be locked you have been advised by local plod not to keep the disc in the tractor where it could easily and quickly be stolen.

It is all about moneymaking. Taxation by the back door and making jobs for the otherwise unemployable.
    How is it about money making? The tractor tax disc is free for Gods sake. How difficult is it to order the thing online? They even post it straight to you. It literally costs nothing to acquire. A few clicks of a mouse and it turns up a few days later. All you have to do is take it out of the envelope and put it in the cab. How hard is that?

At least your tractor was still there with a clamp on. I had a tyre blow out on my MB Trac and with the odd size of 16.9 x 26 the tyre company could not get a tyre to fix until the following day. Tractor was parked half on road half off road but causing no obstruction. Came back following day with tyre company to find tractor gone. Reported as stolen but turned out PC Plod had it impounded and it would cost 350 to recover.

Did the tractor actually have a valid tax disc???? ( ie : had they renewed the tax but just not bothered to put it in the cab? )

Normally when there is no valid tax there is no valid insurance either....

Neighbour of mine had his van clamped the other week by the DVLA for no valid tax... it was on private land and at least two meters from the highway.... his tax ran out last july!!! why the hell should he be allowed to drive around for months without paying the tax when law abiding people like myself pay a small fortune for my car/trucks etc each year??? as for my neighbour... he didnt have time in 8 months to sort out the tax.... funny how the day after he got clamped he suddenly found the time/cash to tax it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goweresque View Post
    How is it about money making? The tractor tax disc is free for Gods sake. How difficult is it to order the thing online? They even post it straight to you. It literally costs nothing to acquire. A few clicks of a mouse and it turns up a few days later. All you have to do is take it out of the envelope and put it in the cab. How hard is that?
    They know he has a tax disc and insurance because it is all on their database, so the clamping and fine for not displaying it on a tractor window is purely a money-making scam. Just because they can do it, it does not make it right.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    Did the tractor actually have a valid tax disc???? ( ie : had they renewed the tax but just not bothered to put it in the cab? )

Normally when there is no valid tax there is no valid insurance either....

Neighbour of mine had his van clamped the other week by the DVLA for no valid tax... it was on private land and at least two meters from the highway.... his tax ran out last july!!! why the hell should he be allowed to drive around for months without paying the tax when law abiding people like myself pay a small fortune for my car/trucks etc each year??? as for my neighbour... he didnt have time in 8 months to sort out the tax.... funny how the day after he got clamped he suddenly found the time/cash to tax it!!!!!
    As I said, they don't actually need a tax disc to know whether it is taxed and insured these days. Try not renewing a tax disc and you will automatically get fined. All relevant authorities have access to the PNC database that tells them in a few seconds whether things are paid up or not. There is and never has been an insurance disc for display but the system still works.
    The Duck 2015

As I said, they don't actually need a tax disc to know whether it is taxed and insured these days. Try not renewing a tax disc and you will automatically get fined. All relevant authorities have access to the PNC database that tells them in a few seconds whether things are paid up or not. There is and never has been an insurance disc for display but the system still works.
    Yes but did the tractor have valid tax?? ( even if it didnt have the disc in the window )

If it was taxed but had no disc then its clear it was a disgruntled neighbour of the herdsman who clearly is out to make trouble and reported it had no valid tax disc in the window!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    I'm on holiday in Devon, had a phone call from home to say some jobs worth had wheel clamped our herdsman's tractor outside his house. Parked off the main road but crucially within 1m of the highway, for not displaying the free tax disc...... 250 to get clamp off, but if I go to Dvla office with proof of tax and insurance they'll refund 160......... And yes they have a picture of it and reg no. So getting my chap to chop it off means 1000 fine!

So watch out they're on a money making mission!
    Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    Yes but did the tractor have valid tax?? ( even if it didnt have the disc in the window )

If it was taxed but had no disc then its clear it was a disgruntled neighbour of the herdsman who clearly is out to make trouble and reported it had no valid tax disc in the window!!!

I see what you mean. IF he goes to DVLA office with proof. Proof that shouldn't be needed if it actually was taxed and insured as the DVLA would already have the proof in their database.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    Is that even legal?
    It is totally illegal if the land is private and can be proved as such.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    Looks like its dam near still drivable, maybe you should drive it down to get the clamp off, to save them the trip out.

Jobsworths!

I expect that 2wd drive tractor is the only one that will fit the diet feeder, not feeding your cows last night would have been a welfare issue and you had to remove the clamp and explain it to the local newspaper!

Just let the tyre down and the clamp will drop off ......

( They cant do anything )
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Its time Tax discs were forgotton about there is no need for them, just put a penny on the fuel and then those using the roads are paying for them, as for the clamp i would be bad for sticking it up someones bottom myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Its time Tax discs were forgotton about there is no need for them, just put a penny on the fuel and then those using the roads are paying for them, as for the clamp i would be bad for sticking it up someones bottom myself.
    Crikey! Don't encourage the b***gers to add even more to fuel ........ but I am with you on this one although I suspect it is also quite a useful way to check on valid insurance?

Can you get tractor tax discs online now, last time I tried it would not work because you have no MOT on a tractor.

penntor

I always get mine online without any problems...

well, maybe just a small problem once... not of my making though

I wonder if they would have clamped me on the last day?

Quote Originally Posted by penntor View Post
    Can you get tractor tax discs online now, last time I tried it would not work because you have no MOT on a tractor.

penntor
    I get all our tractor tax disks on line. Just tick yes in all the boxes. They have all the info they need.

penntor

In my experience you can get an online tax disc for tractors as long as it is registered in Agricultural Machine class, as the system seems to understand that they don't need MOTs. Whereas if its in limited use class (which a few of my old tractors are, because years ago when you had to pay Road Tax on tractors, limited use was cheaper, and my Father changed the use class to save a few quid) then you need to sign one of those forms to declare that it doesn't need an MOT and do it at the Post Office instead.

Just as a small note, I just noticed if you look in the bottom right corner of the picture, it states 'Maximum penalty for failure to display 200' and it has the same on the latest disc as well. The OP stated that he was clamped for 'Failure to Display' and so they were exceeding the maximum penalty applicable.

penntor
    I have always done it, but complained to DVLA that the tick list did not have an option for vehicles which did not require MOT. I think it has been changed now but not sure as I just tick the boxes, If you something is not right the system will soon let you know.

Dave Applesquasher

I've got one of those for my car, along with a hand written apology that accompanied the replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by quadbod View Post

It's good to know the cutbacks are taken seriously - one day at a time.......

OK so it wasn;'t displayed but they should dish this type of thing out to the pikeys and travellers as well.......when was the last time we saw/heard them doing that?

Didn't say there was no tax disc, just not displayed ! The clamp release fee is the moneymaking element.....

Quote Originally Posted by quadbod View Post

I have one of those as well, never got a reminder for this year, just a Last Chance letter yesterday..

It has a tax disc along with ally machinery requiring one...... It's just pinned to the office notice board and not in the window!! Don't bother putting them in window cuz they only check on their computer and not actually what's in window....... Jobs worth's!!!!

i was in the wrong for not displaying it but let's face it does it really need one when its only a computer check away from knowing!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-8414100.html

Last year it was suggested the government were thinking of getting rid of the paper tax disc.