Thread: Meadow grass in spring cereals.

Meadow grass in spring cereals.

Can we stand a bit of grass weed in spring cereals and just go simple contact BLW chemistry later on? Getting the impression there is a lot of stuff like Liberator stuck in the trade that would normally have gone on Autumn crop and they want it hosed onto spring cropping to clear their feet.

Re: Meadow grass in spring cereals.

We haven't bothered, or rather we put up with it in the past, usually headlands are worst?
    However last year being so wet it really became an issue suppressing yield and making it difficult to cut as low as I'd like (for max straw).
    So trying a pre-em this year. The basic broadleaved weeds should be covered too, but it's almost certain to need something for cleavers later as they aren't susceptible.
    Low rate of Tomahawk or similar is not expensive.

Hussar?

Quote Originally Posted by WillyScale View Post
    Hussar?
    Thats about it unless you want to go down the route of the later SUs as such.

Hekla

'Crystal' now has EAMU for use on Spring barley, from pre emergence up to GS23.

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Hekla
    Residual actives unlikely to work very well given the dry state of many soils right now.

I ve done 500 acres with it. Better work. Rain forecast tomorrow.

Ah, if you are expecting rain then you need not worry. Its a dustbowl down here at present. Was starting to worry the maize pre-ems were looking a lost cause.

Pretty dry up here too. Couldn t see pre emergence mark for dust yesterday. First for me dust being a problem when spraying.

Just think of all the extra straw you get ?

I wouldn't put residuals on any spring crop unless it was in earlyish. ie before mid march. IMHO dry weather and high temps make it a waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Flat 10 View Post
    I wouldn't put residuals on any spring crop unless it was in earlyish. ie before mid march. IMHO dry weather and high temps make it a waste of money
    This is exactly my thinking too....but don't normally have any Spring crops. Wondering how much rubbish there will be in the stubbles come harvest time.

Again hussar and we have a syngenta product called twinex here in NZ that also works well on grass and takes wild oats too

Just for clarity is there a product that will kill grass in fully emerged SB ? I use a crop walker for a major company and he has always told me it can't be done til pre harvest roundup.

Yes, it's basically the same products which are used in winter cereals, but it is an off-label use.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedyears View Post
    Just for clarity is there a product that will kill grass in fully emerged SB ? I use a crop walker for a major company and he has always told me it can't be done til pre harvest roundup.
    Whoa, hold on second. Define 'grass'. Ryegrass, black grass, meadow grass? Couch grass?

Certainly you won't touch couch if its established and your best bet then would be pre-harvest glyphosate and at stiff rates without sparing the water volume.

Outside the realms of Atlantis, many of the big name SUs are available for use on SB. Personally I would wait until it was starting to tiller before using them mind, except where you have a problem weed like BG that doesn't want to get too big.

Hurricane (dff) at high rate(200g/ha) can give good effects on Amg, but you have to be careful what you sow after.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Whoa, hold on second. Define 'grass'. Ryegrass, black grass, meadow grass? Couch grass?

Certainly you won't touch couch if its established and your best bet then would be pre-harvest glyphosate and at stiff rates without sparing the water volume.

Outside the realms of Atlantis, many of the big name SUs are available for use on SB. Personally I would wait until it was starting to tiller before using them mind, except where you have a problem weed like BG that doesn't want to get too big.
    not sure what products you are talking about there! Pacifica, attribut, monitor, othello and broadway star are not available on spring barley. Think only Iodosulfuron is available. Otherwise you are talking axial

Quote Originally Posted by stu b View Post
    not sure what products you are talking about there! Pacifica, attribut, monitor, othello and broadway star are not available on spring barley. Think only Iodosulfuron is available. Otherwise you are talking axial
    Yeah, Avro, Axial, Ally etc, to be honest brand names are not my strong point at all, I remember actives more readily. As you point out the more commonplace SUs are Wheat only. In any event these products must be applied to crops/weeds which are actively growing, drought or very dry conditions will not be helpful.

Small aside but Attribut is a lost cause IMO.