Thread: To old to ring

To old to ring

Had a few lambs this year which had nothing in there sack for me to ring they are now 3 weeks old should I ring yes or no

Re: To old to ring

Quote Originally Posted by Agri392 View Post
    Had a few lambs this year which had nothing in there sack for me to ring they are now 3 weeks old should I ring yes or no
    It wouldn't do the lambs any harm to ring them at three weeks old.In some countries,including the UK,its illegal to do it after a week old.

I did a lot of late lambs one year with perdizzoes (sp?). Caused some fun at the mart when the ourchaser claimed they'd not been castrated and wanted his money back. Fortunately, I had the whole procedure well documented and it was all OK, but be aware! (I'd borrowed the instrument from the vet and was assisted by a famous sheepdog handler!). That wouldn't take much longer than rininging and even though that was a few years ago would, I think, still be legal.

Older lambs don't seem to suffer any more discomfort that lambs rung at the earlier legal age.

Despite what the instructions say, when ringing lambs, place the pliers with the points facing out from the base of the scrotal sack.

Pressing the flat side of the pliers against the body helps to push the stones out, the pliers are far easier to remove and there is a far better gap between the teats and the ring.

Once you get used to doing it this way you will never go back. And even more rewarding, you will think of me and be grateful every time you ring a lamb.

The same applies with calves.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Older lambs don't seem to suffer any more discomfort that lambs rung at the earlier legal age.

Despite what the instructions say, when ringing lambs, place the pliers with the points facing out from the base of the scrotal sack.

Pressing the flat side of the pliers against the body helps to push the stones out, the pliers are far easier to remove and there is a far better gap between the teats and the ring.

Once you get used to doing it this way you will never go back. And even more rewarding, you will think of me and be grateful every time you ring a lamb.

The same applies with calves.
    could i ask the same question re ringing4 week old calf, would it be too late