Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whats the best loader tractor

Re: whats the best loader tractor

A rear counterweight is not always an option for a lot of people if the tractor is in use for other things. I only tend to fit a counterweight for very specific jobs like unloading straw or fert lorries.

Ive a little jd with a loader on it shifts silage bales hay bales and straw full size hesstons etc have never ever had to use a counter weight ever but I surpose that's why you pay a premium for jd , and its only 75hp over the years it has ran rings around other makes with a lot more hpmainly masseys

That's really helpful, thanks - need to sort out a counterweight for my tractor methinks.........hmmmm just had large bill for fixing baler, so DIY solution beckons :-)

Cheers

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytlr View Post
    That's really helpful, thanks - need to sort out a counterweight for my tractor methinks.........hmmmm just had large bill for fixing baler, so DIY solution beckons :-)

Cheers

Jerry
    A Maxiscrape makes a good weight and not too cumbersome ......
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytlr View Post

Cheers

Jerry

I made mine from an A frame to which I welded an internal reinforcing web from scrap iron surrounded by a wooden enclosure into which I poured concrete. It has survived more than 25 years use and abuse so far.
    The A frame attachment means it can be dropped off and hooked up easily from the tractor seat. The tractor and loader has been used around the sheds over the last couple of days loading wet bulk feed into a silo, without the counterweight. Obviously the counterweight isn't always needed but even on this job I would prefer to use it to reduce wear and strain on the front axle if space allowed. I wouldn't bother for handling straw bales, but it is a big tractor and doesn't hang about. Silage bales are about the limit of what I would consider handling without a counter but I normally do have the counter on for these.

The secret is to have a system where attaching and detaching the weight is not a chore.

FYI my tractor is not a tiny light utility type. It is a big six cylinder 140hp powershift machine with the biggest front axle capacity in its class.
    The Duck 2015

I just use a twin bale spike as a counterweight. Put a heavy silage bale on for ballast. Have the threads well oiled up on the spikes and remove them so you can still pick up a trailer. Have a couple of tubes welded on the frame to store them in. Used this method for many years whilst bale wrapping and stack contracting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
    What ever you get get it with an MX loader on very strong and easy on off and I really like the hydraulic self levelling on them as opposed to the bars above the boom as on JD loaders. Ill put my tin hat on now as every on with a JD loader tractor says there loaders are the only ones to have ...
    Still have problems with our MX U8 on a MF4345. Not a bad loader but - easy off....... easy on.......not

Once it's off, it's off and you need a half an hour of juggling and wiggling and a convenient barn up against the grain bucket to get it on. MX have looked at it, adjusted it, fettled the ramps, greased it and managed it but in use it's a pain so it stays on

Make sure yours comes on and off easily if you go MX - or get the Gauloise smoking frog in the MX vid that gets it on and off within a minute including relieving himself behind the back wheel to come and do it.
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    A counterweight is all but essential for general loader work, to be used as necessary. That means one on the links, not wheel weights or water ballast when possible.
    There's no reason you can't use both, I do.

Obviously the linkage weight is much better for taking stress off the front axle but it isn't always feasible for some jobs, such as one-man bale carting. Mine is only 80hp and I wouldn't like to be loading silage bales in the field without the wheel weights.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    There's no reason you can't use both, I do.

Obviously the linkage weight is much better for taking stress off the front axle but it isn't always feasible for some jobs, such as one-man bale carting. Mine is only 80hp and I wouldn't like to be loading silage bales in the field without the wheel weights.
    I can appreciate that. I wouldn't be loading silage bales without a counterweight myself, but needs must and loading and unloading at both ends of the travelling distance makes a counterweight impractical. Wheel or water ballast then becomes very necessary and, as you say, there's no reason that both can't be used when practical.
    The Duck 2015

Senior Member Pheasant Surprise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hillybill View Post
    Ive a little jd with a loader on it shifts silage bales hay bales and straw full size hesstons etc have never ever had to use a counter weight ever but I surpose that's why you pay a premium for jd , and its only 75hp over the years it has ran rings around other makes with a lot more hpmainly masseys
    Let us know when you get unplugged from the matrix

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    Still have problems with our MX U8 on a MF4345. Not a bad loader but - easy off....... easy on.......not

Once it's off, it's off and you need a half an hour of juggling and wiggling and a convenient barn up against the grain bucket to get it on. MX have looked at it, adjusted it, fettled the ramps, greased it and managed it but in use it's a pain so it stays on

Make sure yours comes on and off easily if you go MX - or get the Gauloise smoking frog in the MX vid that gets it on and off within a minute including relieving himself behind the back wheel to come and do it.
    I think you must be doing something wrong
    i'm on my second mx loader the first a T8 and the second a claas FL100 or T10 as mx call it now whether that makes a difference as yours is a U series I don't know. a hint I was told at lamma after I was having the same bother as you was to set the bucket tipped slightly forward set it down (on flat level ground) and pressurise it (the lift rams) downwards then into float then remove as normal. this should mean hitching on is a doddle provided you drive straight in and positively

Original poster said he was thinking of replaceing a jcb 412 with a tractor loader. As good as tractor loaders are they are not a patch on a artic loader.
    Visibility of pallett forks
    Strength of front axle
    Proper tranmission for loader work, ie won't spinwheels or conk out
    Proper weight distubation
    Powerfull steering not sluggish like a tractor with a big fork of dung

My choice would be a jd vario

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think you must be doing something wrong
    i'm on my second mx loader the first a T8 and the second a claas FL100 or T10 as mx call it now whether that makes a difference as yours is a U series I don't know. a hint I was told at lamma after I was having the same bother as you was to set the bucket tipped slightly forward set it down (on flat level ground) and pressurise it (the lift rams) downwards then into float then remove as normal. this should mean hitching on is a doddle provided you drive straight in and positively
    Useful, thanks. What I need is to try it under ideal conditions and sort out a routine as you say. In the three years we've had it we've only taken it off half a dozen times cos we know it's a pain to put it back on. We need to get a 'man over machine' mentality!
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Smile Re: whats the best loader tractor

Last edited by zsnotdead; 28-07-13 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Surprise View Post
    Let us know when you get unplugged from the matrix
    Pardon

Must admit our MX U8 is the easiest loader ive ever taken off or put back on a tractor. My father even managed it without instruction, which is in no way a common occurrence!

Dan

got a case farmall 115 seams to be better than the case jxu and more balanced

A 6930 with a loader, particularly with an autopowr gearbox, is going to be a weapon of a thing and mostly unfazed I would think by loads on a loader. That said, no tractor can touch a 412 type loading shovel. I would try the JCB TM 320 first before investing in a tractor and loader I think.

I would think a tractor that stops when you lift your feet of the throttle would be the perfect weapon, like a Case CVX. The older style CVX's do have crap sight for a loader though.
    There should be a tractor with the 2 pedal Linde system, one forward and one reverse. Then add a realtime 3rd function, not a switchover. That would be the absolute dogs bullocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    A 6930 with a loader, particularly with an autopowr gearbox, is going to be a weapon of a thing and mostly unfazed I would think by loads on a loader. That said, no tractor can touch a 412 type loading shovel. I would try the JCB TM 320 first before investing in a tractor and loader I think.
    I have a Telehandler. Its a weapon of a thing at loading. I also have a Tractor that's a weapon of a thing ploughing. Would they do each others job????? Not really.

Problem is, I can really warrent changing the 412 for the hours it does. Its very tidy but has now got approaching 10k hours on it. It only does about 200 hrs a year, mostly buckraking and filling the feeder. There are however many times during the year like when we are moving silage and straw that it is a pain in teh ass having to take an extra man with the 412 when I could do it myself with a tractor/loader and trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by boyo View Post
    Problem is, I can really warrent changing the 412 for the hours it does. Its very tidy but has now got approaching 10k hours on it. It only does about 200 hrs a year, mostly buckraking and filling the feeder. There are however many times during the year like when we are moving silage and straw that it is a pain in teh ass having to take an extra man with the 412 when I could do it myself with a tractor/loader and trailer.
    In that situation you want a tractor and loader I reckon.

or get a decent 310s

Is hiring a tractor and loader out of the question when you need it and keep the jcb?

Dan

Nothings out of the question Dan. Theres a ginger bugger on here with a clapped out JCB 310s available if I need him but ive never been that desperate!! ( theres allways 3rd cut though)

Why not just put a loader on an existing tractor and have the best of both worlds??

Quote Originally Posted by Drillman View Post
    Why not just put a loader on an existing tractor and have the best of both worlds??
    Would you put a loader on a fastcrap

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    Would you put a loader on a fastcrap
    To be fair I know very little about Fastracs. But surely loading bales in a field cant be that hard with one. It could even be ballasted up with a weight on the rear deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbert View Post

I would think a tractor that stops when you lift your feet of the throttle would be the perfect weapon, like a Case CVX. The older style CVX's do have crap sight for a loader though.
    There should be a tractor with the 2 pedal Linde system, one forward and one reverse. Then add a realtime 3rd function, not a switchover. That would be the absolute dogs bullocks.
    MF 50 Industrial.
    Black Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by Drillman View Post
    To be fair I know very little about Fastracs. But surely loading bales in a field cant be that hard with one. It could even be ballasted up with a weight on the rear deck.
    waiting for the psssssssshhhhhhhhtttttt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(3 seconds later),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,beeeeep
    every time you want to change direction