Thread: new zetor or S/H jd

new zetor or S/H jd

the wife's coming round to the idea of letting me have a new / not so new tractor

firstly let me say I like zetors I am biased to them I worked on them and they work in conditions we will never see in this country . my only jd experience was in the late 80s

now for a small livestock farm, loader work, harrow, topping general carting probably only 20% road work if that 300 h a year

if you had circa 25k would you buy new zetor major with trima 220 and pay extra for 3 year's warranty sell it, in three years with still 1 year manufactures warranty remaining and loose 10k ish

or would you but 5 years old 3000 hours no warranty jd and in 3 years have a 4000 h 8 year old worth 15k to p.x and accept the risks

zetor dealer nice helpful honestly wants my cash , jd salesman looks down his nose at me cause its not 150 hp or thinks I cant buy it ( if he only knew tosser )

but were in jd land , not in zetor land so disposing of it is a factor , thanks tcf

Senior Member Pheasant Surprise's Avatar

Re: new zetor or S/H jd

Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post

if you had circa 25k would you buy new zetor major with trima 220 and pay extra for 3 year's warranty sell it, in three years with still 1 year manufactures warranty remaining and loose 10k ish

or would you but 5 years old 3000 hours no warranty jd and in 3 years have a 4000 h 8 year old worth 15k to p.x and accept the risks

zetor dealer nice helpful honestly wants my cash , jd salesman looks down his nose at me cause its not 150 hp or thinks I cant buy it ( if he only knew tosser )

but were in jd land , not in zetor land so disposing of it is a factor , thanks tcf

Get the zetor, less risk (it has a factory warranty) and you will have no trouble selling it to a polish or czech farmer when the time comes to move it on. JD dealer sounds frankly disinterested and Zetor dealer is clearly up for it. You can guess who will try harder.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, go and order the Zetor.

If you are prepared to run a used JD why not consider keeping the Zetor for 10 years or longer, after all you will know it's history from new. Unlike the JD which may have suffered under a previous owner.

Noticed the buy and fly promotion with zetor at the Royal Welsh Show.
    Buy a Zetor and they will fly you out to the factory abroad etc, check it out to see whats it about?

im single handed so reliability is key and down time a no no , so were trying to get everything we run as hassle free and as cost efficient as possible so running everything with warranty sets our cost structure as much as it can be done

but im surprised at the already positive coments for zetors , I actually expected a total jd white wash

I come from the marine world and the way it thinks about things nowadays and warranty turnover is very standard . the new owner will always build in an exit with one season or one years warranty to the next owner just in case he has to cash out

its just easier trading out, without that what if ! question already answered for your next buyer.

and with the exist cost built in of around 277 per month you know were you stand. you would think when most tractors are around the 50k mark nowadays ge capital would be hunting this market like mad

I also asked for a guaranteed buy back again another common thing in other industry's plant, marine, helicopters , were on condition history and hours you can plug the computer in to a outboard and it will give you the raced or rallyed graph / the fault codes the maintained shedual and buy off this , but no tractor dealer is offering this yet as I can find

any one that looks down there nose at you is not worth doing bussiness with, make sure you tell him you've bought a new zetor

If you are anywhere near Builth Wels then Smithfield Tractors will see you a Zetor or a JD as they deal in both

Quote Originally Posted by rc mx110 View Post
    any one that looks down there nose at you is not worth doing bussiness with, make sure you tell him you've bought a new zetor
    +1

Never do business with someone who in not interested in the sale- they certainly won't be interested if you have a problem.

Your relationship with the local dealer is the main thing so they will do their utmost to resolve major or minor issues as soon as possible - whichever you choose.
    You do sound like a classic zetor farm and I'm sure it will do everything you want probably with less chance of breakdown than any older tractor.
    They are almost the default tractor round here on the small to medium livestock farms with a maybe a bit of arable.

Back in the day a mate of mine went to buy a new Jag XJS V12 convertible. Dealer looked down his nose. My mate went next door and bought a new BMW M5 instead, has had BMWs ever since. Buy the Zetor!

If the arrogant JD salesman cannot show you any respect now then he certainly won't if you have ever a problem with a second hand JD tractor he can't be bothered to sell to you.

Zetor obviously, i wouldn't bother with the warranty they are cheap and easy to fix by anyone if they do break down.

The money saved from the extra warranty could be spent wisely and spec'd it with a/c, you won't regret it!

ZETOR!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rc mx110 View Post
    Like my late neighbour used to say his shit does smell any sweeter than yours

They look the part now but are they more reliable.........had a 7011 once and was glad to get a JD not for snobbish reasons but lots of silly things seemed to break.

Interesting article in Classic Tractors on Zetor.......sounds like there improving.

Senior Member Pheasant Surprise's Avatar

13-0 with one 50:50

Oh deer :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Surprise View Post
    13-0 with one 50:50

Oh deer :-)

Can I phone a friend

What he would say is "They all have workshops"

Zetor in process with 200hp model???

Zetor !

John Deere (just to be different ) - have a soft spot for Zetors and fixed more than a few, of course fixed MANY more Deeres, but of course there are MANY more out there.

Depends on Deere model of course, 50 or 6000/10 series, go Deere, late 20/30 series go Zetor.

Did the JD salesman actually "look down his nose at you" or did you 'perseive' that as you actually want the Zetor - if he "did", feck him & buy the Zetor.................& make sure you let him know/drive past him in it/let his boss know....................not that I hold grudges

I run neither John Deere or Zetor; but if i were in your position, as explained by you, i reckon it's a no-brainer. Buy the new Zetor. Warranty, back up, etc, etc, etc. What's not to like?

Zetors are reliable as far as we are concerned. Run them for over 30 years. Any problems we had were sorted by the Dealers, though I have to say that was just the one which may have been a Friday afternoon tractor . All the others (of which there were quite a few) - worked very hard and you would not have had a better tractor. We are hill farm with some (Very) steep hills which get ploughed now and again. Did everything we wanted of them.

my friend bought a 5820 jd and loader, as new condition,1100hrs for 23k last year.i'd buy the jd not the zetor if i could get one similar

Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post
    the wife's coming round to the idea of letting me have a new / not so new tractor

firstly let me say I like zetors I am biased to them I worked on them and they work in conditions we will never see in this country . my only jd experience was in the late 80s

now for a small livestock farm, loader work, harrow, topping general carting probably only 20% road work if that 300 h a year

I think what make of tractor is the least of your worries, I should look at trading the Mrs in first

it took me a long time to choose the right wife , p.x. her would not be a cost effective option

im off to see the zetor next week , has a carro gear box and back end apparently same as j.d. used on smaller models but I have heard rumours of poor quality gearbox from this manufacturer. is it just internet forum bull , as I cant see j.d. cost cutting so much

ill let you know what I think , going to go to new forest show tomorrow for a look just in case I missed something on my research

If you're doing less than an hour a day, why waste money on a new tractor. Consider something like an MF390 and have minimal repairs and NO depreciation.