Thread: Australian Lowlines

Australian Lowlines

im still researching and trying different ideas, and came across these

http://www.lowlinecattleassoc.com.au/index.php

Australian angus small cattle, I have found a bull for sale in the uk and wondered if anyone had seen them ,and had opinions

Re: Australian Lowlines

Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post

Australian angus small cattle, I have found a bull for sale in the uk and wondered if anyone had seen them ,and had opinions
    Haven't seen them because there are so few of them. My opinion since you asked for it is that the gene pool is too small and you would be better off calving long leg Dexters to an Angus to achieve the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by topground View Post
    Haven't seen them because there are so few of them. My opinion since you asked for it is that the gene pool is too small and you would be better off calving long leg Dexters to an Angus to achieve the same effect.
    That what's we do because we want smaller cattle (but not tiny). We call them Dangus and we've been very pleased with them all round. Here's a couple of young cows:

Lowlines would have suited us probably, but not many about when we started!
    Clive Tee

I drive past a herd near Blandford , Dorset quite often----haven't really paid much attention to them to be honest but at a glance they look like mini angus cattle
    There is also a herd just my side of Salisbury too----from Hampshire you could easily visit both in a day to get an idea----

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I drive past a herd near Blandford , Dorset quite often----haven't really paid much attention to them to be honest but at a glance they look like mini angus cattle
    There is also a herd just my side of Salisbury too----from Hampshire you could easily visit both in a day to get an idea----
    Thats exactly what the are, a result of an experiment when two closed herds were selected for High yearling weights(Highline) and low yearling weights(Lowline).
    Some of them are tremendous animals, incredably thick easy fleshing animals but still not to big. How ever alot are rubbish as well, some suffer from breathing difficultes.
    The cows I scan would weight between 300 and 450kg.

We had an Australian Lowline once!
    It was a big surprise to us, because the cow had been AI'd with a Fert+ mix of beef breeds, none of which was a Australian Lowline.
    It was my fault of course I'd forgotten to change the breed to SimX when I applied for the passport & Uniform-Agri had chosen the first breed on the list!
    Thankfully I spotted it before the bull-calf man got him.

Sorry, this doesn't help you!
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

I'm not really sure they do much a good Dexter wouldn't do at a fraction of the price? Dexter keepers seem pretty universally drawn to crossing with Angus but we prefer the herefordXs, very docile and a bit more colour in the herd

Pictures are one of our bulls, a cow and another cow with her herf calf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MerryKerry View Post
    I'm not really sure they do much a good Dexter wouldn't do at a fraction of the price? Dexter keepers seem pretty universally drawn to crossing with Angus but we prefer the herefordXs, very docile and a bit more colour in the herd
    We do Angus on Dexter because of the beef being highly marbled. Do you get the speckled marbling with the Hereford cross? I ask because I'm AI'ing this coming year and looking at either an AA (Mr Rader) or a Hereford (Ferrari).

We also use AA because of the small head and shape, whereas even the polled Herefords look like a bigger head and when calving to a small breed, think this is crucial.

Sorry, off-topic, but might interest the OP.
    Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Tee View Post
    We do Angus on Dexter because of the beef being highly marbled. Do you get the speckled marbling with the Hereford cross? I ask because I'm AI'ing this coming year and looking at either an AA (Mr Rader) or a Hereford (Ferrari).

We also use AA because of the small head and shape, whereas even the polled Herefords look like a bigger head and when calving to a small breed, think this is crucial.

Sorry, off-topic, but might interest the OP.

We sell direct and don't find marbling to be important. The industry and food press tells us it is, but the customers want naturally lean, neat-looking meat. 'marbling' makes it look messy to them. But herefords are about as marbled as they come, we don't really sell the hereford meat direct. Can't think of an occasion when we have anyway.

On the other point, I don't think herefords are any more known for being trouble to calve than AAs, you might get the odd one, but certainly not across the breed. Also, any decent (long leg) dexter should calve to anything, I'd happily put ours to limi or BB and some do. Only time we had any trouble was when heifers we had selected as too poor to breed from somehow got visited by a lim bull (or went to visit one, we still to this day don't know!). One died during calving but the other delivered naturally with only a little nerve damage - dead calf sadly. I think if she'd been a cow she would have managed fine.

Thanks MerryKerry, I'll have a think. Don't need to decide for a few months yet anyhow.
    Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Tee View Post
    Thanks MerryKerry, I'll have a think. Don't need to decide for a few months yet anyhow.

Are them cows short of copper Clive?

hi Clive

would you watch http://lowline.com.au/

and tell me what you think off the crosses to weights she shows at a young age , compared to your dangus.

and a questione why would the gestation period be shorter

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallarchy View Post
    Are them cows short of copper Clive?
    Pic was taken a couple of years ago when a lot of cattle (not just mine) had a red tinge. I though copper at the time. Can't remember what I did but I know I dealt with it. Think it was more them hanging on to a winter coat. Although black Angus colour, they mostly carry red genes, maybe that was it? Can't remember but haven't changed anything and haven't had the same since.

Sorry for delay replying, been away.
    Clive Tee

hi Clive

would you watch http://lowline.com.au/

and tell me what you think off the crosses to weights she shows at a young age , compared to your dangus.

and a questione why would the gestation period be shorter

thanks
    Which video is that in tcf? Looking at the first vid, top right hand one on the home page, the Lowlines look a tiny bit smaller than my Dangus but a bit chunkier maybe, hard to tell?

But to be fair, crossing with Dexters is a minefield because they are so varied, s hard to make a comparison. In a genetic project carried out a few years ago, it was shown that your average Dexter has a genepool that is 4-5 times as big as say Angus, Hereford, Charolais, and most breeds. So depends very much on what type of Dexter you have IMO.

My steers finish at around 500-525 kgs at 24-25 months if that helps. I've got Stabiliser X Dexters at about 6 months age now, and they're growing very quickly. They just reached the point at six months where I will have to raise the bar on the creep-feeder or they won't be able to get in, but I can't raise it even an inch becsue the cows will be able to get in then .

PS. Before someone picks me up on that because I've said we're grass-fed before, I don't usually creep, but have two orphans to frothy bloat this year.
    Clive Tee