Thread: Dairy service engineer

Dairy service engineer

Is there anyone here who currently does this for a job or has any experience in it?

Would be a big career change for me and has been a while since I have been employed in Agriculture.
    Always seem to hear the dairy sector is in a pretty dire state and don't know if its the right move?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers
    Gopher

Re: Dairy service engineer

are you planning to relocate? i see you are in the highlands. how many milking parlours do you have in 100 mile radius and who services them atm?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie123 View Post
    are you planning to relocate? i see you are in the highlands. how many milking parlours do you have in 100 mile radius and who services them atm?
    Aye, will need to relocate.

Well I seem to recall that when our local firm had a vacancy the only decent applicant was a Kiwi who was heading back home in 4 months. Problem solving abilities and not being averse to being called out at 5am or 7pm occasionally pretty essential I'd have thought. I think they got someone in the end but it took a while. With farm assurance ensuring that all plant is serviced regularly and a surprising number of new parlours still going in then there is probably plenty of work out there in the parlour side, just be prepared for more travel time between visits in all but the dairy heartlands of S Wales/S West and Cheshire. Traditionally the same guys usually sell chems and other livestock sundries, I suspect this side is dropping off as more people go through buying groups or online etc.