Thread: what is a feed lot in the usa

what is a feed lot in the usa

does it mean you send your cattle to a farm to feed them , very interesting on cheap brewers grain and 30% better than corn , ethanol seems to be the key

so if im correct does this mean you can own cattle in the states without land . if so its a lot like commodity trading

will it ever happen here ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwRpznV00A

Re: what is a feed lot in the usa

a feed lot is simply an intensive finishing unit.

i remember watching something along time ago, and they fed beef animals chicken leftovers, feathers, muck, uneaten grains

intresting i would class houseing as a feedlot

the feedlot's in the usa are huge some big ones in OZ as well infact most countrys have feedlots in one way or another

simply put man made diet with animals in limited movement areas with higher outputs due to the lack of movement thats feedlotting housed chooks pig's ect form of feedlotting know place in NZ feedlotting lambs he exports to a butcher in germany silage and grain feed mix

animal by products ummmm risky area seen what happened in the UK and to be fair when animal by products are being used in feeds as a form of protain you do have to wonder where the line is

Feed lots around my neck of the woods are steers fed outside with a main diet of corn (maize) silage, most are out wintered with some shelter either a barn or woods, on a side note we outwinter our older heifers too.
    It's a big country and obviously different climates.

Some of the ones I've seen while driving through various States could only be described as appalling,polluting and very smelly! Usually built at the top of a slope with a roof and open yards (which look like they are maybe mucked out when the occupants go on their last journey) along with a 'lake' at the bottom of the slope.On my visits to the US I drank organic milk and went vegetarian!

Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    Some of the ones I've seen while driving through various States could only be described as appalling,polluting and very smelly! Usually built at the top of a slope with a roof and open yards (which look like they are maybe mucked out when the occupants go on their last journey) along with a 'lake' at the bottom of the slope.On my visits to the US I drank organic milk and went vegetarian!
    Oh shit, sorry you seen that, animal husbandry here can be questionable, I've seen some livestock kept in dirty conditions too, also, lidocaine, whats that do? erm' we use it to dehorn calves, you do? yes, why????

There was a TV show years ago called 'This is David Lander' or similar which was a comedy spoof of investigative journalism. I recall there was a farm one where one of the farmers said 'pigs eat the chicken shit, chickens eat the pig shit'. Nice to see something similar is actually happening in real life.