Thread: Glycerine in cattle diet? Biodiesel byproduct.

Glycerine in cattle diet? Biodiesel byproduct.

One of the by-products of biodiesel production, is glycerine. I have been doing some low level investigations and see that there has been some works suggesting that glycerine can be included in animal diets up to about 10% DM, but that lower levels of around 5-7.5% may be more appropriate...

I am looking to start some trial biodiesel production here for DERV use and will have the glycerine available, and to me, lobbing it into the mollasses container and feeding it makes much more sense than putting it on the muck heap!! Anyone here tried glycerine for fat/store cattle??
    steveR formerly known as dexterbeef!

Re: Glycerine in cattle diet? Biodiesel byproduct.

Yes fed pre and post-calving to prevent ketosis in high yielding Holsteins. However, it was bought from a proper feed merchant. I am no expert but I understand that as a raw byproduct of biodiesel it can contain a high level of impurities (can't remember what) which can lead to problems. Therefore it needs to come from a reputable source and I think its use as a feed product is regulated. If you have been doing some research you should have seen some articles about this.?

For this reason http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/dis...abp/biodiesel/ states that glycerine from non-approved biodiesel plants cannot be used for animal feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Yes fed pre and post-calving to prevent ketosis in high yielding Holsteins. However, it was bought from a proper feed merchant. I am no expert but I understand that as a raw byproduct of biodiesel it can contain a high level of impurities (can't remember what) which can lead to problems. Therefore it needs to come from a reputable source and I think its use as a feed product is regulated. If you have been doing some research you should have seen some articles about this.?

For this reason http://www.defra.gov.uk/ahvla-en/dis...abp/biodiesel/ states that glycerine from non-approved biodiesel plants cannot be used for animal feeding.
    Some good stuff in the DEFRA link, thanks for that. How did you feed the product?

Gut reaction, and that is all it is at present, is that if I take home grown or bought-in OSR oil and process this properly with minimal chemical (can be done with care) there is not a problem biologically with feeding glycerine....

Quote Originally Posted by steveR View Post
    Some good stuff in the DEFRA link, thanks for that. How did you feed the product?

Cows go crazy for it. We fed liquid to dries just poured on a bit of silage and to fresh calvers just poured on the ration of silage and straights. 300ml/head was recommended. Only a small herd so not too much of a faff. Surely not justified unless a very high energy intake required? These are 9000 litre plus animals also being fed for high constituent milk. This year we are going to use a pellet equivalent.

Cows go crazy for it. We fed liquid to dries just poured on a bit of silage and to fresh calvers just poured on the ration of silage and straights. 300ml/head was recommended. Only a small herd so not too much of a faff. Surely not justified unless a very high energy intake required? ....
    Sounds good

My "argument" is that it seems like a useful feed resource that should be utilised if possible and safe .

This seemed a useful article. Here

Cows go crazy for it. We fed liquid to dries just poured on a bit of silage and to fresh calvers just poured on the ration of silage and straights. 300ml/head was recommended. Only a small herd so not too much of a faff. Surely not justified unless a very high energy intake required? These are 9000 litre plus animals also being fed for high constituent milk. This year we are going to use a pellet equivalent.
    yes many farmers in france use it
    it is just me take me as i am