Thread: Ideas for making potato boiler for pig feed production

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ideas for making potato boiler for pig feed production

I have been looking in vain for ideas for how to make a home made potato boiler using gas or wood to cook 1 tonne of spuds at a time for pigs - does anyone have any ideas ! thanks

Re: Ideas for making potato boiler for pig feed production

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_Tim View Post
    I have been looking in vain for ideas for how to make a home made potato boiler using gas or wood to cook 1 tonne of spuds at a time for pigs - does anyone have any ideas ! thanks
    Very first idea that came to mind was, make a stand containing your preferred heating device, to sit an old loader bucket on. Pick up the spuds in the bucket, drop it on to the heater stand, then pick up the bucket again when boiled.....Jeez do I need to patent this idea

I was thinking one of them galvanized dumpsters for hazmat (??).... Has a bung plug in bottom and you can close the top for faster heat. Make your heat stand out of stone or whatever is handy and fire it with whatever is cheap or easy.....

You could even be creative and put a grate about 1/3 so the tators don't get in the water and just get steamed so they keep more goodies in???

I'll try to find a picture of what I threw away when we bought the place (and what just about every neighbor has thrown out since)...
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

I don't keep pigs or grow potatoes, hence the question. Why cook the potatoes, won't pigs eat them raw?

I think they need to be boiled to swill so the old guffies don't choke on em, we have a few stock feed tat ties here but the guv won't feed em to pigs we have getting fat in the paddock..
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Boiling them softens them obviously but makes the starch grains open and the pigs will derive more energy from them??
    My old dad used to use the cast iron tank that was in the old washouse , and fill it with tats and water , then light a fire under it in the grate