Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Calcified Seaweed

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    123

    Calcified Seaweed

    Had a chap call in last week telling us that we should stop feeding minerals all year and instead feed this calcified seaweed that he sells. Is this stuff really a good enough product to replace minerals in the ration? Or is this more muck and magic sort of stuff? Interested in any opinions people have! Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    475

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    you'll find it in organic min sups as a component.. or even as an organic fertiliser.. if it was that good, everyone would've been feeding it for years

  3. #3
    Senior Member ladycrofter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    661

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    I tried it once mixed with stock nuts. The cows wouldn't touch it. Quite gritty.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerQuadPlus View Post
    Had a chap call in last week telling us that we should stop feeding minerals all year and instead feed this calcified seaweed that he sells. Is this stuff really a good enough product to replace minerals in the ration? Or is this more muck and magic sort of stuff? Interested in any opinions people have! Thanks
    Stop feeding minerals all year etc etc. Right so magically seaweed contains every element and vitamin in the exact quantities required by stock? You mean the mineral manufacturers have been spending millions on importing tonnes and tonnes of expensive raw materials for decades and all this time they could have been using seaweed instead??? Unbelievable.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerQuadPlus View Post
    Had a chap call in last week telling us that we should stop feeding minerals all year and instead feed this calcified seaweed that he sells. Is this stuff really a good enough product to replace minerals in the ration? Or is this more muck and magic sort of stuff? Interested in any opinions people have! Thanks
    If it's the guy I think it might be down there, he's a charlatan and a con man, IMO. He talked the old man into using his wonder products, and caused no end of arguments within our business. I always wanted to take get Trading Standards onto him. Preying on gullible members of an older generation, he'd be no better than the salesmen that knock on little old ladies doors, selling all manner of worthless sh*te at extortionate prices.

    If you are up for a laugh, try to get him to justify the products, with proven independent trial results. He won't be able to do it, but will drop a few names of known breeders, most of which will be feeding all manner of other products too, and of a certain generation. Is he still selling 'sea lettuce' too?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    123

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    If it's the guy I think it might be down there, he's a charlatan and a con man, IMO. He talked the old man into using his wonder products, and caused no end of arguments within our business. I always wanted to take get Trading Standards onto him. Preying on gullible members of an older generation, he'd be no better than the salesmen that knock on little old ladies doors, selling all manner of worthless sh*te at extortionate prices.

    If you are up for a laugh, try to get him to justify the products, with proven independent trial results. He won't be able to do it, but will drop a few names of known breeders, most of which will be feeding all manner of other products too, and of a certain generation. Is he still selling 'sea lettuce' too?
    Funnily enough, I reckon you are indeed thinking of the same chap. The first thing I asked him was "oh right, got any trial work results to prove it then?" He seemed a little purturbed, and proceeded to inform me that there were a 'few' large herds around us feeding it. I then said "oh great, who are they, I will give them a ring and see how they get on with the seaweed". Oh young man, he replied, I couldn't possibly do that, don't want to give out too much information. surely if the product is that good these farmers would more than be willing to talk about it to me. Anyway, feeling that he had lost his sales pitch after talking to me, he then demanded he saw my father, which rightly or wrongly I took as a massive insult and told him to leave we weren't interested. I was however left with a lovely glossy, home made leaflet.

    If anything, this reminded me to order up the next pallet load of minerals!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Montgomeryshire
    Posts
    867

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerQuadPlus View Post
    Funnily enough, I reckon you are indeed thinking of the same chap. The first thing I asked him was "oh right, got any trial work results to prove it then?" He seemed a little purturbed, and proceeded to inform me that there were a 'few' large herds around us feeding it. I then said "oh great, who are they, I will give them a ring and see how they get on with the seaweed". Oh young man, he replied, I couldn't possibly do that, don't want to give out too much information. surely if the product is that good these farmers would more than be willing to talk about it to me. Anyway, feeling that he had lost his sales pitch after talking to me, he then demanded he saw my father, which rightly or wrongly I took as a massive insult and told him to leave we weren't interested. I was however left with a lovely glossy, home made leaflet.

    If anything, this reminded me to order up the next pallet load of minerals!
    That's him. He will probably call again, hoping to bypass you. He will also send his 'leaflets' in the post, addressed to your father. My mum took to disappearing them before they got to their intended recipient.

    If you are really good at pulling his claims apart, he will get defensive. After doing just that when he cold called on my cousin, and after he was told never to call again, he sent a really snotty letter pointing out how rude he had been. That was a good read.

    Btw, the product comes a very long way from living up to it's claims as a cure all. I'd go so far as to say it's detrimental, as he sells it on the basis of cutting out other things that you probably know works, such as specific mins or vaccines.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    223

    Re: Calcified Seaweed

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    If it's the guy I think it might be down there, he's a charlatan and a con man, IMO. He talked the old man into using his wonder products, and caused no end of arguments within our business. I always wanted to take get Trading Standards onto him. Preying on gullible members of an older generation, he'd be no better than the salesmen that knock on little old ladies doors, selling all manner of worthless sh*te at extortionate prices.

    If you are up for a laugh, try to get him to justify the products, with proven independent trial results. He won't be able to do it, but will drop a few names of known breeders, most of which will be feeding all manner of other products too, and of a certain generation. Is he still selling 'sea lettuce' too?


    Blimey , your old chap must have been on a soft day back then - I struggle to sell him quality stuff ! ....My bad I think
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •