Thread: Seed prices

Seed prices

Can anyone tell me what they paid for wheat seed had a small tonnage of leeds redigo dressing 505/t complained and was told it was 1st generation or some excuse as it is a new variety, although thats not what the invoice now said, got some kielder off a local chap to finish off, 420, same dressing, for smaller quantity than me.

Re: Seed prices

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Can anyone tell me what they paid for wheat seed had a small tonnage of leeds redigo dressing 505/t complained and was told it was 1st generation or some excuse as it is a new variety, although thats not what the invoice now said, got some kielder off a local chap to finish off, 420, same dressing, for smaller quantity than me.
    seems a bit expensive. Not had leeds myself, could be c1 seed.
    think Leeds sold out quite early didn't it?

Thanks for the reply ordered and delivered mid sept, invoice says 2nd gen seed

520 was surely for redigo plus deter, redigo alone is only SPD so would be around 100 quid a tonne less. Not the same.

Let me know how the Leeds and kielder go.

Both redigo dressed no deter

Paid 515 for "Santiago"redigo deter for multiple 10 t + order early sept pay jan , 399 for redigo "relay" last week pay dec 20 th

Thanks for the reply ordered and delivered mid sept, invoice says 2nd gen seed
    It was a surprise to the seed trade when Leeds got recommended last December or more correctly the trade were caught out by the performance in 2012 and the effct it had on its 5 year yield average, so very little was put out. The weather then meant that yields were expected to make the supply situation worse. Consequently the trade price on Leeds started climbing in response to market demand.

New varieties regularly trade at a fair premium to older varieties and that coupled with the short supply situation meant that for some merchants the cost of buying in Leeds to supply customers demands meant that the price people paid for Leeds was probably the highest of all varieties last year.

Hope that explains things a bit.

Barry

OK thanks for the explanation, looks a very good variety for lighter soils, got on well with both its parent varieties was going to go back to istabraq until this come along.

OK thanks for the explanation, looks a very good variety for lighter soils, got on well with both its parent varieties was going to go back to istabraq until this come along.
    Yes it is ideal for lighter farms, or where you know you need the stuff away early because you might suffer a lack of moisture. On good heavy ground, that is where Cougar etc will shine.

Kielder is supposed to be the new benchmark.

That said, no good trying to grow the benchmark varieties unless you are a 'proper' grower who can do attention to detail. I see no point in trying to take a Ferrari on a rally race.

Kielder doesnt look that good to me for my situation on paper but will see, what exactly is a proper grower then? Im always suckered in to the new ones but yields seem to be static 3t in a poor year 3.5-4t normally, but would be interesting to go back to an older type to see if there is any difference not been a fair test with 3/4 very average growing years.

400 for w wheat was dear I thought?