Thread: why are they eating only at waters edge

why are they eating only at waters edge

hi a few months ago I was looking for some smallish cattle for a water meadow to out winter in .

well we bought 10 angus and angus x heifer's quit a small frame angus and 2 Herford heifer's the angus are all in calf to an angus

every day for the past couple of months they have hammered the grass within 30 ft of the water and ignored the rest. they are all looking good to me but I can see no physical differences in the ground , so should I increase with a few more head or wait and see if they start grazing the rest its 9 acre piece

any thoughts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: why are they eating only at waters edge

Perhaps slurry ( human or bovine ) has been spread there or even blood injected.

if your worried you could use some electric fence tape to fence off most of the good grass, perhaps without power on, see how desperate they are to avoid it.

Are you sure it isn't just that the shorter grass happens to be near the water? Maybe occasional flooding has selected a particular species of grass? Generally, shorter grass is sweeter. My horses certainly prefer it and there is no water's edge!

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Quote Originally Posted by tcf View Post
    hi a few months ago I was looking for some smallish cattle for a water meadow to out winter in .

well we bought 10 angus and angus x heifer's quit a small frame angus and 2 Herford heifer's the angus are all in calf to an angus

every day for the past couple of months they have hammered the grass within 30 ft of the water and ignored the rest. they are all looking good to me but I can see no physical differences in the ground , so should I increase with a few more head or wait and see if they start grazing the rest its 9 acre piece

any thoughts
    Probably near their escape tunnel!

the higher water table is restricting grass growth so the grass will be more succulent and tastier to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Probably near their escape tunnel!
    If your wandering where they have put the soil

They dug another tunnel and put it in there

They are female. They do it to be contrary.

stabbing a guess it same as us.

we have gorund that floods, its brown when the water resides and can flood to 18ich deep in a few hours and just as quick reside again, slosh gate further down river effecting our water level. cattle clip it tight never leave it until closed off when it eaten even if they have free run of the rest of the fields, some young stock wouldnt even leave it for meal. never sowed a bag of fert on it from we took it as conacre and its the thickest grass we have in over 200 acres

Guess it's the same theory as the 'better grass' fertiliser system promoted by Mr Plum. The grass next to the water will be loaded with trace elements due to the nutrient rich alluvium dumped onto it every time it floods?

Why are you trying to outwinter on wet rushy ground ? High ground thats well drained maybe , but that - completely unsuitable !!
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

sorry in the original post I mentioned that there is a large old traditional woodland very high up for them to shelter and use . bearing in mind a 3 inch of snow fall a decade here is rare. they should hold up I think quite well

its a test for a very low input. slow system. as were in no rush to finish them , as we retail the meat ourselves

they are still the waters edge today . as a test we put a silage bale in there on Saturday . its hardly been sniffed so it must be something in the grass as mentioned
    and hopefully will mean no supplementary feeding at all .

Probably eating there for the same reason that my sheep are eating in the bare middle of the fields, rather than the longer grass around the edges . Must just be the taste for whatever reason.