Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automated cattle footbaths?

Automated cattle footbaths?

Any opinions on makes to go for?
    To avoid? Jet wash or just a bath?

Re: Automated cattle footbaths?

Have a look at the SSG3000 Auto footbath
    www.wynnstaygroup.co.uk/videos.html
    ticks all the boxes and is good value for money.

Do you know what the price is approximately?

Our auto-flush walkway bath is almost identical in operation for 2800, we use a pump for emptying to allow its use is sand bedding applications. We used opening valves in our earliest models and found that sand and grit cause failures.

Quote Originally Posted by COWCARE SYSTEMS View Post
    Our auto-flush walkway bath is almost identical in operation for 2800, we use a pump for emptying to allow its use is sand bedding applications. We used opening valves in our earliest models and found that sand and grit cause failures.
    Thanks Cowcare, I've already had a quite from you guys just waiting for the FFIS grants to come back on

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Do you know what the price is approximately?
    I think it is about 4850, It is 3m long so they have 2 steps in the bath and a non slip rubber base which the cows like and get use to very quickly. It has a control box in the dairy (or where ever you prefer) and this can be set for 2 products at different rates e.g. Formalin 5 days a week and a copper based product 2 days a week. This is also suitable with sand beds.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I think it is about 4850, It is 3m long so they have 2 steps in the bath and a non slip rubber base which the cows like and get use to very quickly. It has a control box in the dairy (or where ever you prefer) and this can be set for 2 products at different rates e.g. Formalin 5 days a week and a copper based product 2 days a week. This is also suitable with sand beds.
    Looks expensive in comparison to the Cowcare bath

Looks expensive in comparison to the Cowcare bath
    I think the main differences are the non slip rubber floor in the SSG3000. It's important that the cows have confidence when stepping through. There is no waiting time on emptying this now takes 4 seconds to empty not 40, and the wash out is very strong leaving the bath completely clean, with no exposed pumping equipment obstructing the exit. The SSG3000 also has 2 chemical dispensers so you can just switch from one product to another without recalibrating. I think you get what you pay for.

But I could get get a jet wash bath for that kind of money

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I think the main differences are the non slip rubber floor in the SSG3000. It's important that the cows have confidence when stepping through. There is no waiting time on emptying this now takes 4 seconds to empty not 40, and the wash out is very strong leaving the bath completely clean, with no exposed pumping equipment obstructing the exit. The SSG3000 also has 2 chemical dispensers so you can just switch from one product to another without recalibrating. I think you get what you pay for.
    Bald rick, The Auto-Flush Walkway also has an non slip rubberised floor, The client has the choice of side mounting or centrally mounted pump chamber. Our bath also incorporates 2 chemical dispensers as standard. I will grant you that our bath does take longer to empty but cant imagine that 36sec is a big issue.

But I could get get a jet wash bath for that kind of money
    As we have always pointed out, the Jetwash footbath is not for everyone, It requires a strict maintenance routine that if not adhered to will break your heart. I can assure you that if used correctly and maintained the Jetwash will outperform any other system on the market.

Based on a 250 cow herd on sawdust bedding-
    Twice a week
    Complete drain and volume hose internal reservoir- 5min

Once a week
    Lift our cleaning rotor and volume hose filter mess- 5-10min
    If mesh is blocked with small grit then a quick buff with wire brush on cordless drill- 5min

Every 3 months
    Renew pvc cleaning fins- 20-30min

I've tried a vink but it didn't work out so it went back, didn't have a big enough reservoir and it ran out of water, we have very poor pressure when the plate cooler kicks in also seemed to foam a lot probably from the air it kept sucking in, was very heavy on chemical too

I think these could be the answer to my problem which is an automatic footbath for 3 robots but because of layout i need one for each of them and that would cost too much but these mats look like they could be a bit more affordable. Cant get a price yet because its a very new product

http://www.vink-elst.nl/hoofcare_spray_mat.html

Quote Originally Posted by COWCARE SYSTEMS View Post
    Is that a fitted price or just dropped on the yard on a pallet as i'm sure there's a bit more to setting these up than a plastic footbath.

Supply only, fitting should take you 2 hours if water and power handy

Any idea what chemicals are best to use?

Well I have just fitted a jetwash bought second hand from John at Cowcare. Four days and the 65 cows are flowing through at scrape out time well in about 10 minutes. Seeing results already. Any suggestions on the best value products to use? I'm thinking just clean water will help to keep them clean once we are well on top the DD.

Just use formalin at a weak rate, or your parlour washings

Robot washings equate to about 20 litres with chemical in so not much use?? With 4 young kids formalin doesn't appeal much or should I not worry?? Hypo is cheap for just keeping them clean. I'm happy to use Linco as tub should do several days as it only holds Minimal water. Just getting a routine going where walking through is second nature and only running for 20 minutes a day should keep wear/ tear on footbath to bare minimum.
    Last edited by happycows; 21-09-14 at 04:50 PM.

Had a Cowcare Auto Flush Fitted this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10h...ature=youtu.be

Works really well , I've set it to wash empty,wash and refill with 2.5% formalin evry 8 hrs and solution always seems to be clean enough when I'm there with next to no sludge when you walk through it, a massive improvement over a plastic bath which would just be slop by morning time even if changed late at night. I paid to have mine installed and it still worked out far cheaper than competitors . As the cows will be going through it 5-6 times/day I felt they didn't need the full capacity of a 3 meter bath so they custom made me a 2 meter version , it came with the pump in the middle which I hadn't appreciated so they took it back and made me a new one with the pump on the side , as always top cutomer service and a nothing is too much trouble attitude form Cowcare and Mike who did a neat job of the install

Yes it does take longer than some competitors to empty and fill but if a cow walked through it while it was doing this it would be no different from them walking through a top of the range jetwash bath so there would be no reason to worry about that

Do you not think you will use a lot of chemical with three fills a day for small number of cows? Can you smell the formalin? Mine uses a large dosatron type chemical pickup so no handling as such. How much is 200l of formalin? I have just done four x 65 cow passes in two days with quarter of a tub of lincospectin at 12. That's not bad value but doesn't need to be that frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    Do you not think you will use a lot of chemical with three fills a day for small number of cows? Can you smell the formalin? Mine uses a large dosatron type chemical pickup so no handling as such. How much is 200l of formalin? I have just done four x 65 cow passes in two days with quarter of a tub of lincospectin at 12. That's not bad value but doesn't need to be that frequent.

Is formalin around 60p/ litre or less in an ibc , use about 6 litres/ day but can probably cut back yet by reducing volume of water in bath as it's quite deep , trying to experiment yet , can also increase interval by what ever amount like say 10hrs , impossible to do by hand unless you wan't to get up in the night . There is no room for a 2nd exit on robot so I am forced to have cows walk through so many times/day but then the cows feet are getting nice and clean , the muck will never have time to dry on and get infections, or that's the plan at least .

Only smell formalin when the bath is filling but a software update will fix that by delaying the chemical going in until bath is nearly full

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Had a Cowcare Auto Flush Fitted this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10h...ature=youtu.be

Works really well , I've set it to wash empty,wash and refill with 2.5% formalin evry 8 hrs and solution always seems to be clean enough when I'm there with next to no sludge when you walk through it, a massive improvement over a plastic bath which would just be slop by morning time even if changed late at night. I paid to have mine installed and it still worked out far cheaper than competitors . As the cows will be going through it 5-6 times/day I felt they didn't need the full capacity of a 3 meter bath so they custom made me a 2 meter version , it came with the pump in the middle which I hadn't appreciated so they took it back and made me a new one with the pump on the side , as always top cutomer service and a nothing is too much trouble attitude form Cowcare and Mike who did a neat job of the install

Yes it does take longer than some competitors to empty and fill but if a cow walked through it while it was doing this it would be no different from them walking through a top of the range jetwash bath so there would be no reason to worry about that

Thanks chips for the review, always nice to get feed back.

Well I have just fitted a jetwash bought second hand from John at Cowcare. Four days and the 65 cows are flowing through at scrape out time well in about 10 minutes. Seeing results already. Any suggestions on the best value products to use? I'm thinking just clean water will help to keep them clean once we are well on top the DD.
    Hi Happycows, always nice to find new customers on here. Peracetic acid added at 3-4% should give the results you are looking for but you will need to add some anti-foam as it will be like a bubble bath. The only downside with with peracetic is the shelf life, once mixed with water the active ingredient is dead within 6hrs.

We have a second hand one available also if anyone interested

TFC dairy heath makes good automatic footbath and teat sprayers. Very good people too.

http://www.tfcdairyhealth.com/

I tried one of those, ended up sending it back, just wasn't right for my situation

I did read your thoughts on the jetwash and went into buying one with my eyes wide open and John made it perfectly clear it needed a strict cleaning regime. I was looking for a couple of years but never plucked up the courage to spend all that money on a new one. was tempted by the second hand one with lots of spares included though. I am very pleased with it but does take 15 minutes a couple times a week to clean it. I'm happy as for the first time I feel i'm really on top of the dermatitis in all the cows not just the ones you could see.
    I might even have yours or is that the one Tim has for sale??

I haven't one for sale, it didn't work with my low water pressure, that was the main trouble pumped itself dry then made froth

Ive got target solutions coming to see me on Friday because I believe there foot sprayers in the back of the robot is the easiest way to control digi