Thread: Rotavirus

Rotavirus

I already treat for crypto in calves with halocur and have gone months without any problems but I now suspect I have a rotavirus issue in my calves. Initially 4 week old calves began to scour and it now seems to be effecting calves down to a few days old. Once calves have recovered they don't scour again. Older calves seem to recover very quickly but some younger calves struggle to get over it for a number of days. I know I can vaccinate cows but is there a quicker solution to the problem other than rehydration etc. Are there any colostrum products that may help for example.

Re: Rotavirus

there are paste's and gel's you can administer at a day old, but 12months ago when we first encountered the same problem as you I tried them but it didn't make any difference, vaccinating was the only true cure for it in our herd.

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    there are paste's and gel's you can administer at a day old, but 12months ago when we first encountered the same problem as you I tried them but it didn't make any difference, vaccinating was the only true cure for it in our herd.
    You don't give them the paste at a day old you do it as soon as there born
    We jab some off the cows it costs a bit so we don't do them all just the first 20 in the spring that calve before they go out
    we also give the calves paste,we use thermovite as soon as there born we find it helps get them going and wanting to suck,
    The most important thing is to get a good feed off colostrum in them as soon as you can, nature knows best

We've had problems in the past with rotavirus and the (cow) vaccine did work but I fancy they will gain immunity themselves over time.
    In any case we only did them the one year and not really had problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by ju99 View Post
    I already treat for crypto in calves with halocur and have gone months without any problems but I now suspect I have a rotavirus issue in my calves. Initially 4 week old calves began to scour and it now seems to be effecting calves down to a few days old. Once calves have recovered they don't scour again. Older calves seem to recover very quickly but some younger calves struggle to get over it for a number of days. I know I can vaccinate cows but is there a quicker solution to the problem other than rehydration etc. Are there any colostrum products that may help for example.
    Are you sure you actually have rotavirus ? We had it one year and the only way we could keep the calves alive was to take them straight to the vets and put them on the drip. Only about half of them survived. We used the paste as soon as we realised what we were up against but not sure if it helped or not. We did vaccinate for a couple of years after that but don't seem to have had problems since then so stopped vaccinating a couple of years ago.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Certainly need to be 100% certain it's not something else like salmonella or Ecoli before embarking on vaccinating.
    All these bugs are widespread in the environment, but every now and then a new strain comes along.

Not sure its Rotavirus you have as it kills very quickly. We lost 6 or so calves many years ago and now administer the Agri-LLoyd paste Scourgaurd within the first 24hrs and not had a problem since. We may not need to do it every year but as soon as we stop you can bet it'll be back in. Cost of the paste isn't that cheap but would rather the cost covering everything than losing the odd calf.

Quote Originally Posted by Henarar View Post
    You don't give them the paste at a day old you do it as soon as there born
    We jab some off the cows it costs a bit so we don't do them all just the first 20 in the spring that calve before they go out
    we also give the calves paste,we use thermovite as soon as there born we find it helps get them going and wanting to suck,
    The most important thing is to get a good feed off colostrum in them as soon as you can, nature knows best
    I agree and it is what I meant but was trying to make point you don't give it when they are ill its a preventative not curative treatment!

Vaccinating the cows with either (preferably) Rotavac corona or trivacton 6 is the only effective way to prevent losses associated with rotavirus amongst calves.
    We lost about 15 a few years ago, when it turned into an epidemic after never having it before, and we probably saved 2 or 3 with the pastes / energaid.
    Now I alternate yearly between rotavac and trivacton and then squirt the paste down calves throat when calf is born. Don't actually think pastes do anything except give an energy boost that helps the calf get up to suck its mother. If cows are not vaccinated then paste and large amounts of colostrum are the key.
    If you are losing calves currently then ensure bedding etc is clean and try to keep calves as hydrated as possible, the dehydration kills them, not the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by stu b View Post
    Vaccinating the cows with either (preferably) Rotavac corona or trivacton 6 is the only effective way to prevent losses associated with rotavirus amongst calves.
    We lost about 15 a few years ago, when it turned into an epidemic after never having it before, and we probably saved 2 or 3 with the pastes / energaid.
    Now I alternate yearly between rotavac and trivacton and then squirt the paste down calves throat when calf is born. Don't actually think pastes do anything except give an energy boost that helps the calf get up to suck its mother. If cows are not vaccinated then paste and large amounts of colostrum are the key.
    If you are losing calves currently then ensure bedding etc is clean and try to keep calves as hydrated as possible, the dehydration kills them, not the bug.
    Yes it is dehydration that kills them we had it about 8 years ago we never lost a calf but it took some work to keep an eye on them all and keep baging them

I need to confirm it is rotavirus but I can't see what else it could be. It must be a virus of some sort as it doesn't respond to antibiotics and there is no temperature rise that you associate with an infection. Calves don't scour again once cured so I don't think its a digestive upset. It effecting 90% of the last 100 calves or so but I haven't lost one yet. As they are in hutches it very easy to take them off milk as soon as it starts. If I keep them on milk they seem to get worse until they won't drink.

I need to confirm it is rotavirus but I can't see what else it could be. It must be a virus of some sort as it doesn't respond to antibiotics and there is no temperature rise that you associate with an infection. Calves don't scour again once cured so I don't think its a digestive upset. It effecting 90% of the last 100 calves or so but I haven't lost one yet. As they are in hutches it very easy to take them off milk as soon as it starts. If I keep them on milk they seem to get worse until they won't drink.
    In which case you're either a very, very good stockman or it isn't rotovirus. When we had it even the vet couldn't keep them all alive on the drip. Maybe you should get it confirmed by the lab ?
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair McLaren View Post
    Not sure its Rotavirus you have as it kills very quickly. We lost 6 or so calves many years ago and now administer the Agri-LLoyd paste Scourgaurd within the first 24hrs and not had a problem since. We may not need to do it every year but as soon as we stop you can bet it'll be back in. Cost of the paste isn't that cheap but would rather the cost covering everything than losing the odd calf.
    we use this and wouldnt work without it. it suits us as we calve all year round and saves time vacinating cows,

If you haven't lost one yet then I don't think its rotovirus . Or what I had that you just couldn't keep them alive with was something else .......

Either Rotovirus or Corona virus ( I assumed at the time ) once I started using pastes I never lost another calf . Be aware that some pastes are just nutritional supplements . You want one that has tinctures of roto/corona virus .
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    In which case you're either a very, very good stockman or it isn't rotovirus. When we had it even the vet couldn't keep them all alive on the drip. Maybe you should get it confirmed by the lab ?

Agree
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
    we use this and wouldnt work without it. it suits us as we calve all year round and saves time vacinating cows,
    Suits us too although not AYR calving. Cows will end up being like pin cushions and never out of the crush if they had to be vaccinated for this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair McLaren View Post
    Suits us too although not AYR calving. Cows will end up being like pin cushions and never out of the crush if they had to be vaccinated for this too.
    Couldnt agree more, we seem to have to vaccinate for everything now and its a big pain in the arse!! Quite littererly for the cows!!!

Arrange a BVD Test.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Arrange a BVD Test.
    Not BVD as all calves are tested by tagging at birth. Still waiting to be able to get a sample tested. Will update when I do.

There be died if rotavirus we'll 80%

Finally got round to doing some tests and it is indeed rotavirus which we have. Although I hate them I think it's the individual penning in calf hutches that allows for early detection and treatment of scour which prevents the calves getting very sick.

Finally got round to doing some tests and it is indeed rotavirus which we have. Although I hate them I think it's the individual penning in calf hutches that allows for early detection and treatment of scour which prevents the calves getting very sick.
    You seem to be managing the Roto virus problem very well not to be losing calves, a few more details on what you are doing once you see a sick calf would be most welcome.
    How long do you keep them off milk, do you mix milk and electrolyte to reintroduce milk, how much electrolyte do you give them, etc?

Calves are kept in individual hutches from 24 hours old to 3-4 weeks and are fed twice a day when the hutches are checked for any suspect scour. If scouring calves are taken off milk and are fed life aid xtra sachets for 2 feeds and then half a scour proof extra sachet with 1 litre of milk for a further two feeds. If the calf seems normal it is put back on milk. If still poorly (very rare). I will give long acting marbocyl injection and continue with scour proof extra sachets with milk until better.

The vet thinks that rotavirus is worse when it comes with crypto. I think we have been lucky because we treat all the calves for crypto already.

Calves are kept in individual hutches from 24 hours old to 3-4 weeks and are fed twice a day when the hutches are checked for any suspect scour. If scouring calves are taken off milk and are fed life aid xtra sachets for 2 feeds and then half a scour proof extra sachet with 1 litre of milk for a further two feeds. If the calf seems normal it is put back on milk. If still poorly (very rare). I will give long acting marbocyl injection and continue with scour proof extra sachets with milk until better.

The vet thinks that rotavirus is worse when it comes with crypto. I think we have been lucky because we treat all the calves for crypto already.
    Keeping the calves in individual hutches and keeping the hutches clean is the reason you have not lost many.
    often, when in yards, the first calves get mild cases of disease, scour the bugs onto the straw and the next youngsters pick up the problem, multiply the bugs inside them, then scour them out. It is a self fulfilling disease where the later born calves are likely to pick up more disease.
    By keeping them isolated you have removed the disease reservoir.

Thanks , a great help .