Thread: Thriplow Farms Oliver Walston

Thriplow Farms Oliver Walston

http://www.thriplow-farms.co.uk/annual/2013.pdf

An interesting read albeit the new regime at Thriplow all looks a bit "touchy feely". I wonder what Olivers outspoken views would be on trendy things like cover crops and bringing livestock into his hardcore barley baron/subsidy junky mindset?

Re: Thriplow Farms Oliver Walston

I guess he would acknowledge that things usually go full circle, read his books and you will see that there were once plenty of stock.

I think you are probably right. The best business examples have never actually gone round the circle they are just good farmers and have always retained livestock in there farming systems. Few of them have had to travel the world to find out how to farm and they tend not to shout about their expertise from the roof tops.

how is oliver these days?
    been a long time since he was on

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    how is oliver these days?
    been a long time since he was on
    If Oliver himself has gone all "touchy feely" ....then maybe he will pop in for a group Hug ?

An interesting read as always. Best wishes to Oliver and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    I think you are probably right. The best business examples have never actually gone round the circle they are just good farmers and have always retained livestock in there farming systems. Few of them have had to travel the world to find out how to farm and they tend not to shout about their expertise from the roof tops.
    Probably a few farmers do need to shout from the roof tops as most are not the greatest communicators.

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    http://www.thriplow-farms.co.uk/annual/2013.pdf

An interesting read albeit the new regime at Thriplow all looks a bit "touchy feely". I wonder what Olivers outspoken views would be on trendy things like cover crops and bringing livestock into his hardcore barley baron/subsidy junky mindset?
    Subsidy junky mindset??? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaypee View Post
    +1

no-one is less of a subsidy junkie than Oliver (but maybe that was just provoking him to start posting on here again )

The 'new regime' seems good, more cover crops, more livestock and a scholarship on improving soils - Thriplow might soon be organic

Quote Originally Posted by Jaypee View Post
    Olly Wallys image to many must have come over as someone who was keen to get whatever he could out of the subsidy systems of the day and was never affraid to admit, even tease, to Jo Public how happy he was to accept such huge handouts.

This is just one quote from his book Outbursts which I remember, I'm sure there are many others.

"...of course, I shall continue accepting subsidies with alacrity and gratitude in that order."

As above, I do wonder if PF and I are thinking of a different Oliver Walston than the guy the rest are thinking of?

He certainly was a Barley baron by anyones measure- I rememeber the infamous 'long live prairies' line from 'Against the Grain'.

As popular as his persona is, in terms of a PR stunt, I'd consider it an abject failure- playing to the lowest common denominator, is akin to shooting a wingless Pheasant which is running along the road in front of you. If his aim was media attention, then it was of course an unprecedented success.